Online Services

With Social Security Online Services, You Don’t Need to Stretch the Day

June 20, 2016 • By

Reading Time: 2 Minutes

Last Updated: November 6, 2023

Stretch the DayIt’s the summer solstice, longest day of the year. You have more time to accomplish all the things on your to-do list. Unfortunately, you can’t say the same for the days to follow.

With busy schedules and constant multi-tasking, it seems like everyone is juggling the multiple chores and obligations of everyday life. That’s why Social Security created a suite of online services.

The best way to accomplish your business with Social Security online is by creating a personal my Social Security account. Easy, convenient and secure, a personal my Social Security account gives you immediate access to your individual Social Security information. During your working years, you can use your personal my Social Security account to view your Social Security Statement to check your earnings record. Are you already receiving benefits? You can use my Social Security to get a proof of benefits letter, change your address or phone number on our records, start or change your direct deposit, and check your benefit and payment information.

In addition to using my Social Security, you can use the Retirement Estimator to plug in different numbers, retirement dates, and scenarios to help you decide the best time for you to retire. In addition, when that time comes, you can apply for retirement benefits online. It can take as little as 15 minutes from start to finish. In most cases, once you submit your electronic application, that’s it, you’re done—no papers to sign or documents to submit.

From getting the skinny on how to get a replacement Social Security card to an online application for disability benefits, using Social Security online services allows you time for other things. Now you can use the extra hours to go grab some ice cream and enjoy the beautiful summer sunset.

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: , , , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Doug Walker, Deputy Commissioner, Communications

Deputy Commissioner, Office of Communications


  1. mary a.

    i just want proof of income. I don’t want to lose getting my statement in the mail, so I don’t want to open an account. I need it for a loan. why can’t I just print one without an account?

  2. Roger E.

    Previously due to an injury, soc services Prince William County Virginia informed me – at 69 yrs old – Virginia would pay for my part B – now I have come off of Medicaid per that same county office but I cannot get confirmation my Part B is now coming out of my SSA monthly. Online statements do not give me the documentation I require. Previously by phone to SS, I was told; yes your Medicare Part B is now coming out of your SSA monthly – but I am seeking treatment and need documentation to that effect – please help.

  3. Mario E.

    I need a letter from SS , to confirm my actual retirement pay and for how long it will be.
    Cant find a side were to apply for,
    Thank you

  4. Christine H.

    I just need to drop off forms for Medicare B, have them looked at to assure they are filled out correctly. We got the first ones back in the mail. We are not sure what exactly was wrong. Do we need on appointment at the office in Newport News, Virginia?



    • Ray F.

      If you are unable to create an account or encounter a problem with your my Social Security account, you may:
      •Call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. At the voice prompt, say “helpdesk”; or
      •Contact your local Social Security office. Thanks!

  6. Hassan N.

    Good morning my name is Hassan Nuristani. I can to able access to my
    Account please call me 408 393 8224

  7. Peggy L.

    Peggy Sever *** – ** – ***
    I am receiving SS and also a RR SS benefits. my question is, can I receive both?

  8. michael f.

    I am currently on s.s. i had a work comp case pending, on Dec. 1st it stopped, my attorney filed a letter with s.s. on jan 22nd that this had stopped, we have waited and called several times to see why i havnt been raised to my full benifit amount when calling i first was told it takes 30 days,well that passed ,second call i was told they dont have a letter, so i called wichita ks, office they said the letter is on line for the s.s. worker in Kansas city to see,i need to see what is going on im behind on all bills and rent, they say they dont know where the letter is or who would have it. please help, without being able to speak with someone who handles my case im at a dead end.

    • Ray F.

      We apologize for any inconvenience, Michael. Unfortunately, but for security reasons, we do not have access to personal records in this blog. Please continue working with your local office. You can request to speak with the office manager to see how we can help expedite resolution of your situation.
      If you are unable to visit the local office, you can call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Generally, you will have a shorter wait time if you call later during the day. Thanks.

  9. Billie

    Need to change billing info

  10. Darren S.

    locked out of log in

    • Ray F.

      If you are unable to create an account or encounter a problem with your my Social Security account, you may:
      •Call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. At the voice prompt, say “helpdesk”; or
      •Contact your local Social Security office.

Comments are closed.