Online Services

With Social Security Online Services, You Don’t Need to Stretch the Day

June 20, 2016 • By

Reading Time: 2 Minutes

Last Updated: November 6, 2023

Stretch the DayIt’s the summer solstice, longest day of the year. You have more time to accomplish all the things on your to-do list. Unfortunately, you can’t say the same for the days to follow.

With busy schedules and constant multi-tasking, it seems like everyone is juggling the multiple chores and obligations of everyday life. That’s why Social Security created a suite of online services.

The best way to accomplish your business with Social Security online is by creating a personal my Social Security account. Easy, convenient and secure, a personal my Social Security account gives you immediate access to your individual Social Security information. During your working years, you can use your personal my Social Security account to view your Social Security Statement to check your earnings record. Are you already receiving benefits? You can use my Social Security to get a proof of benefits letter, change your address or phone number on our records, start or change your direct deposit, and check your benefit and payment information.

In addition to using my Social Security, you can use the Retirement Estimator to plug in different numbers, retirement dates, and scenarios to help you decide the best time for you to retire. In addition, when that time comes, you can apply for retirement benefits online. It can take as little as 15 minutes from start to finish. In most cases, once you submit your electronic application, that’s it, you’re done—no papers to sign or documents to submit.

From getting the skinny on how to get a replacement Social Security card to an online application for disability benefits, using Social Security online services allows you time for other things. Now you can use the extra hours to go grab some ice cream and enjoy the beautiful summer sunset.

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: , , , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Doug Walker, Deputy Commissioner, Communications

Deputy Commissioner, Office of Communications


  1. Margeret H.

    How do I change my direct deposit. Changed banks

  2. Ben C.

    If I sign up to receive social benefits in june 2018, when will I get my first check. If there is a few months before I get first check, do I get the retro pay from the time of sign up?

    • Ray F.

      Hello Ben. The time it takes to process your claim can vary. We attempt to resolve all claims promptly, but there may be delays due to the volume of pending cases in your area.
      Remember that benefits are paid the month after they are due. So, for instance, if you want your benefits to begin with the month of June, your first benefit payment is made in July. You have “protective filing” from the time you applied for benefits, beginning with the month in which you meet all eligibility requirements.
      We care about our customers and our representatives are working as fast as they can to resolve all inquiries, process new claims, and reduce backlogs.
      You can check the status of your application using your my Social Security account.
      If you are unable to open a my Social Security account, you can still call 1-800-772-1213 to check your claim status by using our automated system using the confirmation number you received when you filed your claim.
      We thank you for your support and understanding.

  3. Martin G.

    I need my account unlocked

    • Ray F.

      If you are unable to create an account or encounter a problem with your my Social Security account, you may:
      •Call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. At the voice prompt, say “helpdesk”; or
      •Contact your local Social Security office. Thanks!

  4. Wade W.

    I am 66 years old! I have a daughter that is 13. Can I get financial assistance for her? If so, how do I go about getting it started?

    • Ray F.

      When a parent gets Social Security retirement benefits, his or her child also may get benefits. To apply for your daughter’s benefits you will need to contact us. Please call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.
      If you’re referring to receiving assistance from the state where you live. You can get information about services in your area from your state or local social services office. You can also visit the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services web page for more information. We hope this information helps.

  5. KAREN W.

    I need to make an appointment with a human being at my local office at 5195 Coconut Creek Parkway, in Margate, Florida. I am hearing impaired and can’t do business on the phone and my internet is not consistent at home. I need to talk to a person! HOW do I get an appointment, without going through the menu on the phone. I can’t hear any of the selections! I need SS advice I can’t just pick things off of a website,

  6. Teresa N.

    I am having trouble logging in to my on line user account.
    My username and password doesn’t work.
    When I try to re-sign up to a new account the system tells me they can’t verify my information, probably because I already have an account. PLEASE help me. 304-669-5599.

    • Kenny O.

      Hello Teresa: We apologize for this inconvenience. If you are still having trouble setting up your account, please call our dedicated my Social Security-Hotline. To reach this hotline, call 1-800-772-1213, Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. At the voice prompt, say “helpdesk”, or contact your local Social Security office. Thanks!

  7. Christy S.

    I am the representative payee for my foster children, how do I create an account to see their benifits? I don’t want to do anything wrong and it seem fraudulent .

  8. Ijane C.

    No Comment

  9. Ijane C.


  10. mary a.

    also, why do I have to lose my mail statements if I have an account?

Comments are closed.