Online Services

With Social Security Online Services, You Don’t Need to Stretch the Day

June 20, 2016 • By

Reading Time: 2 Minutes

Last Updated: November 6, 2023

Stretch the DayIt’s the summer solstice, longest day of the year. You have more time to accomplish all the things on your to-do list. Unfortunately, you can’t say the same for the days to follow.

With busy schedules and constant multi-tasking, it seems like everyone is juggling the multiple chores and obligations of everyday life. That’s why Social Security created a suite of online services.

The best way to accomplish your business with Social Security online is by creating a personal my Social Security account. Easy, convenient and secure, a personal my Social Security account gives you immediate access to your individual Social Security information. During your working years, you can use your personal my Social Security account to view your Social Security Statement to check your earnings record. Are you already receiving benefits? You can use my Social Security to get a proof of benefits letter, change your address or phone number on our records, start or change your direct deposit, and check your benefit and payment information.

In addition to using my Social Security, you can use the Retirement Estimator to plug in different numbers, retirement dates, and scenarios to help you decide the best time for you to retire. In addition, when that time comes, you can apply for retirement benefits online. It can take as little as 15 minutes from start to finish. In most cases, once you submit your electronic application, that’s it, you’re done—no papers to sign or documents to submit.

From getting the skinny on how to get a replacement Social Security card to an online application for disability benefits, using Social Security online services allows you time for other things. Now you can use the extra hours to go grab some ice cream and enjoy the beautiful summer sunset.

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: , , , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Doug Walker, Deputy Commissioner, Communications

Deputy Commissioner, Office of Communications


  1. Roman V.

    I don’t have my bank account anymore where will my check to ?

  2. Roman V.

    I don’t have a bank account anymore because I had direct deposit now I don’t. Where will my check to or what do I do ?

    • Vonda V.

      Roman, thanks for your question. If the bank account in which you receive direct deposit was closed, you need to report it immediately by calling 1-800-772-1213 between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., Monday through Friday. If you’ve already opened another account, and receive Social Security benefits, you can create a my Social Security account to change your direct deposit online. If you have not opened a new account and need assistance, you can call the Direct Express helpline at 1-800-333-1795 to see if they can help you. Hope this helps!

  3. John d.

    Is someone there to help me out

    • Vonda V.

      Hi John: Through our Blog page we respond to questions and provide general information on our Retirement, Survivors, Disability, Medicare and SSI programs. If you have a general question, we encourage you to ask it here. But remember; never post personal information on social media.

      For specific questions about a case, please contact your local office or call our toll free number, 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) and ask to speak with one of our representatives, who are available Monday through Friday between 7:00am and 7:00pm.

  4. Melvin R.

    I am requesting a cancellation of phone interview scheduled for 8/22/2018 at 11:30 am for Melvin Rodney Anderson *** – ** – *** . Phone # 214-606-7000. Thank you, Melvin Anderson

  5. Lee E.

    I understand the need for security but if I forgot my password because your automated login was wrong you then proceed to lock me out while Im attempting to recover my password. What gives here? Lee Vormelker

  6. Mike S.

    I have been trying to process for early retirement for a few weeks now but always get the following msg. Your Benefit Applications
    We’re sorry, we cannot provide your Benefit Application Status at this time. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please try again later.
    Would you tell me why and what I can do about this?

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Mike. We are sorry to hear about your experience and understand your frustration. For your security, we do not have access to personal information in this venue. The length of time to receive a decision can vary depending on whether we need to verify documents or other personal information. If you would like to speak with someone regarding the status of an application, please call 1-800-772-1213, M-F between 7 AM and 7 PM and ask a representative to assist you. You will generally have a shorter wait time if you call later in the day. Or, you can contact your local office. We hope this helps.

  7. Cathy

    I am not sure if I get enough points for Medicare and SS to retire
    How to make an appointment with you

  8. Monica K.

    I turned 65 in May 2018. I have yet to receive a single direct deposit check. I have called 3 times, spent 3 hours and 47 minutes on hold. Still no check. I went to the local SS office and waited 20 minutes to get in the door and another 90 minutes before I sat before an indifferent but dutiful government employee. He took all of my information and typed an email to somebody somewhere out there explaining my grievance. Still no check….and no hope. Thank you Social Security and the government of the US.

    • Ray F.

      We apologize for the inconvenience, Monica. Unfortunately, and because of security reasons we do not have access to personal records in this blog and cannot provide the assistance you need at this time. Please continue working with your local office and ask to speak to a supervisor or the office manager to see how we can help to expedite resolution of your situation.
      If you are unable to visit the local office, you can call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213, representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Generally, you will have a shorter wait time if you call later in the week.
      If you wish to submit a comment, complaint or suggestion, you can write to us or send us an email message. Thanks.

  9. Sue B.

    Why is the online services website down? If it is a regular shutdown, could you give us the regular hours of operation?

  10. renee p.

    I forgot my password and of course they are now sending my new info to my old address because I could not get on to change my address. Help!!My private info is being sent to an old address. I need online access to change my address.

Comments are closed.