Disability, Medicare, Online Services, Retirement, Survivors

Your Friend, my Social Security

August 24, 2015 • By

Two women look at a tablet and smileEveryone knows the value of a good friend. They give you advice and console you when you’re in need. On August 3, Friendship Day reminded us to acknowledge the people who are closest to us by thanking, loving, and spending quality time with them.

Like a good friend, Social Security’s online services are always there to give you the support you need. Opening a secure my Social Security account is one of the first steps you can take to planning a financially healthy retirement. Simply go online to open or access your account.

With a my Social Security account, you can…

  • Keep track of your earnings and verify them every year
  • Get an estimate of your future benefits if you are still working
  • Get a letter with proof of your benefits if you currently receive them
  • Manage your benefits
    • Change your address
    • Start or change your direct deposit
    • Get a replacement Medicare card if you are a current Medicare beneficiary
    • Get a replacement SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S for tax season

Remember, my Social Security is an ever-evolving resource. We continue to research, develop, and add features to better serve you. Our mission is to support you when you need it most. Part of that vital mission is to make it as easy as possible to apply for services when you might be going through hardship. As a friend, we want you to be ready. Join the 20 million people who are making their business with Social Security that much easier with a secure  my Social Security account.

All great friends are good listeners, and Social Security is no different. We’ve collected countless messages from the public to craft our Frequently Asked Questions.  These questions provide solutions to topics you care about like retirement, disability, Medicare, and Supplemental Security Income. Through our many online resources, we listen to you so that we can continue to provide the world-class service you deserve.

Next time someone asks you, “Have you ever met a friend online?” You can confidently say, “Yeah… my Social Security.” We are here for you 24 hours a day, and we’re only a computer or tablet screen away. Now that’s a friend you can count on.


Tags: , , , , ,

See Comments

About the Author


Phil Gambino, Assistant Deputy Commissioner, Communications

Assistant Deputy Commissioner for Communications


Please review our Comment Policy before leaving a comment.

  1. Deborah Cano

    I receive SSI only for myself not my children….my childrens father owes back child support. He just notified me that I am receiving a lump sum of $30,000 dollars. Will this affect my SSI?

    • Ray Fernandez, Public Affairs Specialist

      Thank you for your question, Deborah. Some types of income can affect your SSI benefits. We recommend that you contact us to discuss the specifics of your situation.
      You can call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Or contact your local Social Security office directly.
      See “Understanding Supplemental Security Income (SSI) Income–2018 Edition” for information on this topic.

  2. Maureta Gauen


    • Ray Fernandez, Public Affairs Specialist

      Social Security payments are delivered on the 3rd of the month and on the second, third and fourth Wednesdays of the month. Beneficiaries who filed claims on or after May 1, 1997, are assigned one of the three new payment dates based on their day of birth. Click here for more on this topic. You may want to view our Schedule of Social Security Payments for more information. Thanks!

  3. Vanina A Yacco

    Hello, I get social security or you may call survivor benefits also, since 2010, after my husband died. I was 63 of age then. would I still receive this check every month If I get married again? Thank you in advance.

    • Ann Clifton, Public Affairs Specialist

      Hi, Vanina. For information about how marriage may affect your benefits, please visit our Frequently Asked Questions. Thanks!

  4. Richard A Inconstanti

    I AM TRYING TO LIVE ON MY SOCIAL SECURITY , 1050.00 the federal student loan program is taking 155.00 a month from my check i have filed endless paperwork its still coming out, I can’t survive under these circumstances HELP!!

  5. Toni

    This phn#: 217-636-4665, called and said there was fraudulent activity on my Soc. Sec.#, and they were going to suspend it, and file a lawsuit against me! Can you check out the source of the above mentioned phn. #?

    • Ann C., Public Affairs Specialist

      Thanks for letting us know, Toni. Generally, we will only contact you if you have requested a call or have ongoing business with us. Recently, scams—misleading victims into making cash or gift card payments to avoid arrest for Social Security number problems—have skyrocketed. Our employees will never threaten you for information or promise a benefit in exchange for personal information or money.

      If you receive a suspicious call like this: 1) Hang up. 2) Do not provide personal information, money, or retail gift cards. 3) Report suspicious calls here. For more information on how to protect yourself, check out our Frequently Asked Questions. We hope this helps.

  6. Kristie

    Hello…I have attempted to create a “my social security account” online. The questions asked were very difficult from a long way back. Unfortunately I must have missed a few and it suspended me from making a online account. I need to replace my social security card ASAP in order to take care of my sick mother’s affairs. Due to corvid 19 all field offices are closed and no one returns my calls or emails. I would really appreciate some advice on what to do next in order to get my replacement social security card

    • Vonda VanTil, Public Affairs Specialist

      Hi Kristie. We are sorry that you are having trouble creating a my Social Security account. To pass the verification process, we match the personal information you give us with the data we have in our records. Then, we use our Identity Services Provider to further verify your identity.

      If you are locked out, you can call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. At the voice prompt, say “helpdesk” or contact your local Social Security office. Please look for the general inquiry telephone number at the Social Security Office Locator. The number may appear under Show Additional Office Information.

  7. Lisa Marie Santarpio

    I am still trying to get into my account! Had help last week with changing my username, so I can change my password. I keep getting a message that they cannot identify me with that info

    Need help asap as I have to apply for medicare B and other items needed.

    • Vonda VanTil, Public Affairs Specialist

      Hi Lisa, thanks for using our blog. We are sorry to hear about the difficulties you are experiencing. You can call us at 1-800-772-1213 for assistance or you can contact your local Social Security office. Please look for the general inquiry telephone number at the Social Security Office Locator. The number may appear under Show Additional Office Information. Please be aware that our call wait times are longer than normal. We hope this information helps.


Leave a Comment

Please review our Comment Policy before leaving a comment. For your safety, please do not post Personally Identifiable Information (such as your Social Security Number, address, phone number, email address, bank account number, or birthdate) on our blog.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *