Online Services

Receiving Housing Benefits? A Trip to Social Security May Not Be Necessary

February 16, 2017 • By

Reading Time: 1 Minute

Last Updated: November 3, 2023

elderly man and woman holding hands Social Security is constantly evolving to make your life easier. If you are currently receiving benefits from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), and are reapplying for benefits, or are assisting someone with their application, a trip to the Social Security office is probably not necessary even if verification of Social Security benefits is needed.

Because of a data exchange established between Social Security and HUD, most people do not need to contact Social Security for a benefit verification letter. HUD administrators processing a Re-certification Application for Housing Assistance can use their Enterprise Income Verification (EIV) System to verify Social Security and Supplemental Security Income benefits.

Public housing agencies, private owners, and management agents administering HUD rental assistance programs may get registration information about EIV by logging onto the following websites:  or

If you are a new applicant for housing assistance, you can provide your HUD administrator with your Social Security award letter, Cost of Living Adjustment (COLA) notice, SSA-1099, or other SSA benefit document you should have received at the beginning of the calendar year or when you began receiving benefits, whichever is later.

We created these data exchange agreements to help you get the support you need at the first point of contact, even if that’s not with Social Security.  If you do need to provide proof of Social Security benefits yourself, we have another way to save you a trip to Social Security.  You can get an instant benefit verification letter with a personal my Social Security account at

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications


  1. Angela C.

    Is anybody working on the rental market for the elderly? I live in a 55 and over and our rents keep going up. Are there any programs or help with that> It needs to be on a ballot to make rents stay affordable for us seniors. I wrote the Governor Brown to no avail. I’d like a cap put on housing for over 55.

  2. Mary M.

    Do you have information concerning housing (public) or for the elderly?

  3. Bertha

    Portable Home Monitors. I am having difficulty finding the benefits section that covers portable home monitors under Medicare. Where can I locate it?

  4. Kimberly K.

    I wish Social Security understood the poverty levels some of us are at which is $875 a month. My late father (a Vietnam Veteran) left some land to me but if I were to apply for a home loan they would only laugh at me ?. I lost everything in the November Wildfires here in Tennessee, lost my father (a Vietnam Veteran), and lost my mother (all within 5 months). If there are any resources out there or some ways to get supplement benefits I would be very grateful for any help! I would love to have my own home before God calls me home. It’s just sad that there aren’t any resources for those of us that have the inherited land but no way to get help for a well, sewer, and footers for at least a modular home or help to build a small home! If anyone could give me some information that would be a blessing for me. Thank you very much and God Bless!

    • Ronald ".

      Hello Kimberly. There are quite a few construction, well and septic companies out there that OFFER A LENDING HAND to those in need. Even if it’s in the form of LOWERING the cost, OR making payment arrangements with you.
      You just need to get on the phone and find the best SUITABLE ONE for your needs….I hope my comment has helped, in some form or fashion. Good luck!

  5. Benjamin H.

    I have been trying to get into my account and can not in. Is there any way to allow me to get into my account. My Name is Benjamin Holland and I would like to get in.

  6. John A.

    Im on SS as my only income. How and where do I apply for HUD help?

  7. Yvonne M.

    cost of living issues around the Seattle areas… we need more than $20.00 a year for SSI D we have 12,000 homeless and I can bearly afford to buy a home as all have been hording them for air bbs vbros and real Eastate agents too are flipping them right and left!
    I’m 62 from here, parents worked for the Naval ship yard building war ships and medical records for servicemen, women.
    the minimum wage will increase in a year or 2 to $15.00 hourly and SSI needs to meet annual increases just not a USA Average. I’ll write gov Jay Inslee too. the people, tribes locals are going beyond broke, nearly homeless in Seattle. Yvonne
    206.650.4284 ps wage earners on ssi should have part time work year round to help the US and US here ??☠☕️ PS. Starbucks is world wide from here!

  8. Lynda L.

    I am concerned about verifying my mother’s property taxes should remain frozen annually. She is 92 yrs old. She is still living independently but can no longer drive. I take my mother wherever she needs to go. Do you offer a method to prove her annual income online or by U.S. mail so that she does not have to go to the Social Security Office in person?

    • R.F.

      Hello Lynda, some people may have to pay federal income taxes on their Social Security benefits. This usually happens only if you have other substantial income(such as wages, self-employment, interest, dividends and other taxable income that must be reported on your tax return). Your question seems to be an income tax question, and you will need to contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Their toll-free number is 1-800-829-1040.
      You may call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 for further assistance. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Generally, you will have a shorter wait time if you call later during the day or later in the week. Thanks!

  9. Kathy

    I have forgotten my password for soc sec my acct and now it is locked! how do I sole this issue? I have done everything they have asked!

    • R.F.

      Hello Kathy. If you are unable to create an account or encounter a problem with your my Social Security account, you may:
      •Call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. At the voice prompt, say “helpdesk”; or
      •Contact your local Social Security office. Thanks!

  10. Dean

    To whom may concern,
    I get a portion of my SSI and i would like to know if i decide to go back to work full time and later to decide to return to get my benefits could i do so? Cause SSI is not paying the bills of family of three.

Comments are closed.