Online Services

Receiving Housing Benefits? A Trip to Social Security May Not Be Necessary

February 16, 2017 • By

Reading Time: 1 Minute

Last Updated: November 3, 2023

elderly man and woman holding hands Social Security is constantly evolving to make your life easier. If you are currently receiving benefits from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), and are reapplying for benefits, or are assisting someone with their application, a trip to the Social Security office is probably not necessary even if verification of Social Security benefits is needed.

Because of a data exchange established between Social Security and HUD, most people do not need to contact Social Security for a benefit verification letter. HUD administrators processing a Re-certification Application for Housing Assistance can use their Enterprise Income Verification (EIV) System to verify Social Security and Supplemental Security Income benefits.

Public housing agencies, private owners, and management agents administering HUD rental assistance programs may get registration information about EIV by logging onto the following websites:  or

If you are a new applicant for housing assistance, you can provide your HUD administrator with your Social Security award letter, Cost of Living Adjustment (COLA) notice, SSA-1099, or other SSA benefit document you should have received at the beginning of the calendar year or when you began receiving benefits, whichever is later.

We created these data exchange agreements to help you get the support you need at the first point of contact, even if that’s not with Social Security.  If you do need to provide proof of Social Security benefits yourself, we have another way to save you a trip to Social Security.  You can get an instant benefit verification letter with a personal my Social Security account at

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications


  1. Donna J.

    I am recently retired. will be 73 in a few days.. I live at Parkville Catonsville, and pay $909 a month. They just raised my rent $28, and I explained I had to quit work (praise God) in order to be allowed to move in this lovely building. I now live on SS only and was told that I have more SS income that a lot of people. Am I being discriminated because I was able to work until I was 72? My income is only SS. I’m paying off hearing aids, dental work and eye exams. I worked as long as I could and know there are people living in this building that pay less rent than I do. I just want to make sure I’m not being discriminated because I was able to work so long? I’m not asking for a handout just want to verify that I’m being treated fairly. I’m still paying off debt. Adore my 600 sq. ft. apt., which is next to the Maryland Veterans Cemetery where my husband is buried, and I will be interred there too. I am not asking for a hand out just want to make sure I am not being discriminated against since I was able to work so long.

  2. Cathyann M.

    I’m living with my son I just changed my address with Social Security and I would like to know if I pay no rent or utilities how much will my check be cut(decreased)????Please respond thank you

    • Ray F.

      Thank you for your question, Cathyann. If you’re receiving “regular” Social Security benefits, your benefits are not affected. However, if you’re receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits, we are required to consider any other income and resources available to you. We also take into consideration your current living arrangements.
      Please call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 for further assistance. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Or contact your local Social Security office directly.

  3. Cathyann M.

    I would like to know if my SSI benefits be decreased because I don’t pay any rent or utilities????

  4. Martha l.

    I am almost 69 years old.I June.My mortgage is 727.00 monthly my mortgage is variable interest.i have mo money to refinance.was told it would take 5000.00 to get back to conventional rates.The house is in flood zone and has been flooded twice.The house is not worth the payoff.So i have to work or lose my home.My question is this.I make a fair living but i was taxed 85% of my SS.My reyireme t has been taxed before i get it then taxed again at tax time.I have to pay a huge .amount to Federal for the past 2 years.I will have to work till I die..I saw where our President was supposed to increase our SS check for single to 1360.00 a month.Any truth to this

    • Ray F.

      Hi Martha, for tax questions, you will need to contact the IRS. Their toll-free number is 1-800-829-1040.
      You can find more details about the new COLA at Thanks!

  5. Edward J.

    I was awarded ss disabality in november and my wife is constantly harassing me about money and paying bills.It is to point that i just want to move out of her house and move on to a new life without the the constant abuse and name calling fat ass,lazy,useless piece of carp.Also my wife is a alcoholic drug user.I don’t know which way to turn and very unhapppy.Her whole family which her brother-in is a lawyer and constantly giving her advice to remove me from my home.

  6. Paul H.

    Please send me or forward this Request;; Can I get Rental assistance to pay my share of the rent. I am on SSI. I’m a senior citizen of 57 yrs. old. and disabled with Cancer. Please forward this ..I cant find a reliable address to request rental Assistance. my cell is (951) 434-0203 in Riverside County Califrnia

    • Ray F.

      To see if you are eligible to receive social services or other benefits from the state in which you reside, contact your local social services office. Or you can visit the U. S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) web page for more information. Thanks!

  7. Frances J.

    I just read that there is personal code access number that is used for access to an account by the owner. I would like to use that for my access in order to lift the electronic hold on my account.

  8. Frances J.

    I just read somewhere that there is a secret key code people can use to log into their account accesses; for personal reasons. How do I receive one of those account codes for my personal use and secreted ?

  9. Janet S.

    Question: I am 76 years old working making $2000 a year. i a widowed i received a combined amount of my husbands and my SS I received a letter recently that they took $1 fro my husbands and added it to my account, then reduced my benefit $1 per Month. Will they cojtinue this preactice every year although you are allowed to make as much as you want after 65 years?

    • Ray F.

      Hi Janet! Unfortunately, your question is a bit more complex than we can handle in this blog. For security reasons we do not have access to personal records in this venue. One of our representatives should be able to provide you with an explanation and answer your questions about this matter. Please call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Thanks.

  10. Shirley A.

    Hello I am trying to buy a house through the Deptartment of Agriculture and they said i need a verification letter for the past two years so i need 2016, 2017 and when i started receiving disability. I also need a RD3550-1, RD35504-4. Your help would be appreciated if you could male the forms to me and the letters so i can mall it to them.

Comments are closed.