Online Services

Receiving Housing Benefits? A Trip to Social Security May Not Be Necessary

February 16, 2017 • By

Reading Time: 1 Minute

Last Updated: November 3, 2023

elderly man and woman holding hands Social Security is constantly evolving to make your life easier. If you are currently receiving benefits from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), and are reapplying for benefits, or are assisting someone with their application, a trip to the Social Security office is probably not necessary even if verification of Social Security benefits is needed.

Because of a data exchange established between Social Security and HUD, most people do not need to contact Social Security for a benefit verification letter. HUD administrators processing a Re-certification Application for Housing Assistance can use their Enterprise Income Verification (EIV) System to verify Social Security and Supplemental Security Income benefits.

Public housing agencies, private owners, and management agents administering HUD rental assistance programs may get registration information about EIV by logging onto the following websites:  or

If you are a new applicant for housing assistance, you can provide your HUD administrator with your Social Security award letter, Cost of Living Adjustment (COLA) notice, SSA-1099, or other SSA benefit document you should have received at the beginning of the calendar year or when you began receiving benefits, whichever is later.

We created these data exchange agreements to help you get the support you need at the first point of contact, even if that’s not with Social Security.  If you do need to provide proof of Social Security benefits yourself, we have another way to save you a trip to Social Security.  You can get an instant benefit verification letter with a personal my Social Security account at

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications


  1. Carol O.

    Hello, I am 66yrs. old, please send me information on housing assistance, to C. Owens, 3803 N. 54th Street, Tampa, Fl. 33619. Thank you ?

    • Ray F.

      Visit U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development:

  2. Judith G.

    I need a statement of my future earnings for 2018. This is for apartment rental where I am now living . I have one for each year except 2018. I can’t renew my lease without this statement. Thank you

  3. Melissa

    Only if your State has Medicaid Expansion. Otherwise, you are SOL.

  4. Ronald D.

    Good morning. I just received this information about housing. I am disabled and I am on S.S. Disability.
    I would very much appreciate more information regarding help with housing help. Thank you.

  5. Inena P.

    How do I apply?

  6. Karen D.

    I dont knows my sign i. Or password. I desperately need affordable housing.

    • Ray F.

      Hello Karen, if you are unable to create an account or encounter a problem with your my Social Security account, you may:
      •Call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. At the voice prompt, say “helpdesk”; or
      •Contact your local Social Security office.
      You may also be eligible to receive additional assistance from the state where you live. These services include Medicaid, free meals, housekeeping help, transportation or help with other problems. You can get information about services in your area from your state or local social services office. You can also visit the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services web page for more information.
      We hope this information helps!

  7. Denise P.

    Question I’m socail Security disability making 847 a month as of this year how do I go about getting into a HUD home with my wage I never heard that you could get housing assistance through Social Security please help me my husband died of 13 years in March I am currently staying with my sister as 5 people in a 3 bedroom home and it’s hard can you please help me in teach me how to get into a HUD home I live in Pflugerville Texas and I actually don’t want to go too far away from Pflugerville if you could please let me know something I appreciate it I do know that this is a comment section but I didn’t know where to ask the question that’s why I’m leaving this comment to find out an answer thank you

  8. Mrs. P.

    Can SSA help me to get this accomplished?

  9. Mrs. P.

    I am trying to get a VA Spousal/Widow mortgage for where I am residing. Otherwise, I will need to move. I am receiving SS Widow’s benefit.

  10. Arthur B.

    I am going to receive section 8 housing assistance. I have been homeless for 39 years and Supportive Services for Veteran Families provided me with housing. they paid for everything and section 8 will be picking up the tab from them. I hope this doesn’t change my income on S.S.I. because one third of my check is dedicated to the rent.

Comments are closed.