Online Services

Receiving Housing Benefits? A Trip to Social Security May Not Be Necessary

February 16, 2017 • By

Reading Time: 1 Minute

Last Updated: February 16, 2017

elderly man and woman holding hands Social Security is constantly evolving to make your life easier. If you are currently receiving benefits from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), and are reapplying for benefits, or are assisting someone with their application, a trip to the Social Security office is probably not necessary even if verification of Social Security benefits is needed.

Because of a data exchange established between Social Security and HUD, most people do not need to contact Social Security for a benefit verification letter. HUD administrators processing a Re-certification Application for Housing Assistance can use their Enterprise Income Verification (EIV) System to verify Social Security and Supplemental Security Income benefits.

Public housing agencies, private owners, and management agents administering HUD rental assistance programs may get registration information about EIV by logging onto the following websites:  or

If you are a new applicant for housing assistance, you can provide your HUD administrator with your Social Security award letter, Cost of Living Adjustment (COLA) notice, SSA-1099, or other SSA benefit document you should have received at the beginning of the calendar year or when you began receiving benefits, whichever is later.

We created these data exchange agreements to help you get the support you need at the first point of contact, even if that’s not with Social Security.  If you do need to provide proof of Social Security benefits yourself, we have another way to save you a trip to Social Security.  You can get an instant benefit verification letter with a personal my Social Security account at

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications


  1. Nancy M.

    How does this method allow an applicant to receive housing assistance when we are told that Section 8 vouchers have not been given out in Flodida for over 4 years except VASH? What stepa should one take to get a voucher in Fla.?

  2. Basalat A.

    I would like to apply for HUD’s Rental Assistance Program. It’s only two of us i.e. me and my wife. Our combined incom doesn’t permit us to afford paying Rent for our apartment we have rented in a private housing complex.

    I will be highly obliged if you could provide me detailed information and eligibility requirements enabling me to formally apply for this program.

  3. Sandra J.

    I need my current Benefits Letter for my apartment complex and am locked out of my sign in.

    • Ray F.

      We’re sorry that you had difficulty accessing your my Social Security account. If you are still having trouble accessing your account, please call our dedicated my Social Security-Hotline. To reach this hotline, call 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. At the voice prompt, say “helpdesk”; or contact your local Social Security office.
      If you’re unable to access your account, you can ask one of our agents to mail you the benefit verification letter you need. Thanks!

  4. E. M.

    Dear Staff,
    I am in the process of applying for a home loan. The loan application asks for a Social Security Awards Letter.
    When I click on benefits verification, it refers me to MY
    SOCIAL SECURITY account. Well, wouldn’t you know the SSA will not allow me to have an account (nor my son) because we have the same initials. I am denied the ability to keep track of my SSA account (as is my son), and I am denied obtaining a critical piece of data for the loan application.
    I seem to be in a “Catch 22” situation and am unable to resolve this.
    I have visited the SSA office here on three occasions and have been told they can only give me a number to try to open an account once more.
    The last time I was there, I was pointedly asked why I keep coming back for answers because they do not write the regulations.
    I am most frustrated as I expect my government to help me, not to create obsticals that must be overcome.
    Any help would be appreciated. Thank you for you assitance.
    E. Mansel Woolsey

  5. Tammy

    I’m currently receiving $750 in SSI benefits.. my rent has increased to $495.. plus Electric insurance and upkeep…I’m barely able to survive..I need assistance with housing…I have never been on that & am confused as to how to apply. Thank you.

    • Ray F.

      Hi Tammy, you may also be eligible to receive additional assistance from the state where you live. These services include Medicaid, free meals, housekeeping help, transportation or help with other problems. You can get information about services in your area from your state or local social services office. You can also visit the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) web page for more information. We hope this information helps.

  6. susan e.

    verication for social security benefit .

  7. susan e.

    verucations for social security benefit for housing

  8. Ruth b.

    I have never had to report income from work, when I was on SSD only. I was always told only when I was on SSD thT I have to report wages. Is this correct?

  9. Business C.

    Hello. Thanks for this info! Really enjoyed reading this page.

  10. scott j.

    hello i resive ssi every mouth from you guys i really need help i was wondering if you guys can help me withj my move in coast

    scott jorgensen

Comments are closed.