Online Services

With Social Security Online Services, You Don’t Need to Stretch the Day

June 20, 2016 • By

Reading Time: 2 Minutes

Last Updated: November 6, 2023

Stretch the DayIt’s the summer solstice, longest day of the year. You have more time to accomplish all the things on your to-do list. Unfortunately, you can’t say the same for the days to follow.

With busy schedules and constant multi-tasking, it seems like everyone is juggling the multiple chores and obligations of everyday life. That’s why Social Security created a suite of online services.

The best way to accomplish your business with Social Security online is by creating a personal my Social Security account. Easy, convenient and secure, a personal my Social Security account gives you immediate access to your individual Social Security information. During your working years, you can use your personal my Social Security account to view your Social Security Statement to check your earnings record. Are you already receiving benefits? You can use my Social Security to get a proof of benefits letter, change your address or phone number on our records, start or change your direct deposit, and check your benefit and payment information.

In addition to using my Social Security, you can use the Retirement Estimator to plug in different numbers, retirement dates, and scenarios to help you decide the best time for you to retire. In addition, when that time comes, you can apply for retirement benefits online. It can take as little as 15 minutes from start to finish. In most cases, once you submit your electronic application, that’s it, you’re done—no papers to sign or documents to submit.

From getting the skinny on how to get a replacement Social Security card to an online application for disability benefits, using Social Security online services allows you time for other things. Now you can use the extra hours to go grab some ice cream and enjoy the beautiful summer sunset.

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: , , , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Doug Walker, Deputy Commissioner, Communications

Deputy Commissioner, Office of Communications


  1. Cindy L.

    Would like a SS card.

    • Vonda V.

      Hi Cindy, thank you for your question. First, realize you may not need a replacement card. You will rarely need to show it. Knowing your Social Security number is what is important. However, if you must get a replacement card, you may be able to apply online. Check out our Frequently Asked Questions web page for details on how to apply for a replacement Social Security card. If you are unable to apply online and you do not want to mail in your documents, which will be returned, you may need to wait for the offices to reopen. Use our Social Security Office Locator to find your local office address. We hope this helps.

  2. GARY R.

    I received “suspended electronic access”
    what is this about and how can we change it?

    • Vonda V.

      Hi Gary. If you’re referring to my Social Security, we are sorry that you are having trouble. If you are locked out, you can call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) or you can contact your local Social Security office. Please look for the general inquiry telephone number at the Social Security Office Locator. The number may appear under Show Additional Office Information. Please be aware that our call wait times are longer than normal. We hope this information helps.

  3. JoAnn M.

    I would like to schedule an appointment with Margate, Florida office. My email address is:; phone: 609-703-7701.
    Thank you. JoAnn Martin-Onesky

  4. Barbara T.

    How much does it cost for earning statement with employers name and dates.

    • Luis A.

      Hi Barbara. For information about how to request a detailed earnings record, please visit our Frequently Asked Questions. We hope this helps.

  5. Jess G.

    Many Americans live overseas. I have lived in Asia for over 15 years. It is next to impossible to enroll while overseas in Asia since the websites and my social security always return a winnable to connect message. I am quite IT literate and have tried quite a number of alternative connection protocols which yield the same error message. Add the inability to connect to the issue of consolidation of social security offices into the Philippines and American citizens are at a loss. I am not alone with this issue as internet searches abound with citizens who are suffering from the same issue. I have written to the Philippines office several times and the responses are insulting as the responses are “Did you try” When the issue was that site does not function. Does anyone care? If so, please get on it. Who in the Philippines office does the training. Are any employees trained with a sense of ownership with respect to problem resolution? is there an escalation process for employees who cannot answer simple questions? I have been struggling with access issues for months with no resolution. My birthday is at the start of January. If this issue is not resolved I am at risk of being penalized with a perpetual penalty. Any advice?

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Jess. We are sorry to hear about your experience. We have referred your concerns to our Operations Staff for follow up and to take corrective action as necessary. Since you are living outside of the U.S. you can contact your local Federal Benefits Unit for any assistance related to Social Security benefits. Also, our Office of International Operations home page provides more information to assist our customers living abroad. We hope this is resolved soon.

  6. Peggy I.

    Can’t get into my Social security. Gov account forgot my username and password what do I do

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Peggy. If you are still unable to access an account or encounter a problem with your personal my Social Security account, you may:
      •Call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. At the voice prompt, say “helpdesk”; or
      •Contact your local Social Security office. We hope this helps.

  7. Cierra W.

    Hey i was wanting to know how do i go about changing my direct deposit information

    • Vonda V.

      Hi Cierra. Thanks for the question. If you’re receiving Social Security benefits (retirement, survivors, or disability), you can start or update your direct deposit information by using your personal my Social Security account.

      If receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or unable to conduct business online, you can start or update your direct deposit by contacting the bank, credit union, or savings and loan association or by calling Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778).

      See our Frequently Asked Questions web page for more information.

  8. James L.

    What happens when you are locked out of your mysocial security account? For some reason my password is not working. I answer the questions and still not accepted? How do you fix this????

  9. alice f.

    i want to speak to a real person and not wait at an office so i need an appointm

  10. Melinda C.

    Can I schedule an appointment for tomorrow to speak with someone

Comments are closed.