General, Online Services

Take Control with Social Security Online

January 6, 2022 • By

Reading Time: 1 Minute

Last Updated: November 2, 2023

couple reviewing information on a tabletWe continue to add more services you can access through your secure my Social Security account.

Use your personal my Social Security account to check your Social Security record and complete your business conveniently and securely from home or on the go.

If you do not currently receive benefits, you can:

  • Request a replacement Social Security card.
  • Review your earnings history for accuracy.
  • See an estimate of your future Social Security benefits to help you plan when to start receiving benefits.
  • Compare benefit amounts depending on what age you start receiving benefits.
  • Check the status of your Social Security application.

If you already receive benefits, you can:

  • Get a benefit verification or proof of income letter.
  • Request a replacement Social Security or Medicare card.
  • Set up or change direct deposit.
  • Change your address.
  • Get a replacement Social Security 1099 form (SSA-1099).
  • Opt-out of certain mailed notices.

Your personal my Social Security account includes a secure Message Center where you can receive communications from us. For example, you can view your annual cost-of-living adjustments before you would normally receive them in the mail. You can also opt-out of receiving notices by mail that are available online.

We designed these online features to save you time. You can create your personal my Social Security account today.

We offer many other online resources on our Online Services page. Please let friends and family know they can access them from the comfort of their home or office – and on the go from their mobile phones.

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: , , , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Dawn Bystry, Associate Commissioner, Office of Strategic and Digital Communications

Deputy Associate Commissioner, Office of Strategic and Digital Communications


  1. Michelle B.

    I applied in 2017, I just got denied at appeals council level. I was deliberately kept from evidence submission and I believe it was because my roommate violated my hippa . I also believe he stole my claim and the SSA is covering it up . As I saw a beneficiary number and now I’m not allowed to download if I receive benefits or not . But they say I owe for overpayment of my son in foster care. He’s not in foster care , he’s in my home . HHS, SSA, DSS are violating my civil rights and nobody has a problem with it. But I freaking do. This is for independence, what I got is enslavement and abuse and I submitted where he lied on my claim. You are supposed to talk to me about my claim he destroyed my mail. He also took my claim and abandoned me and my son , we are homeless now. Explain yourself . Why are you human trafficking?

  2. Cindy R.

    How do I report my mother’s death so she will not continue to receive checks?

    • A.C.

      Hi, Cindy. We are sorry for your loss. Typically, the funeral director notifies us of an individual’s passing by sending the deceased person’s death certificate to the local Social Security office. However, you may report the death of your mother’s passing, by calling our toll-free number at 1-800-772-1213. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. We hope this information is helpful.

  3. Johnathan C.

    I have a question about the Wednesdays of the month thing. My birthday is on the second of May and it was stated the we would be getting money on the second Wednesday of every month. I didn’t receive any on January 12th like it was stated. I needed to know why it wasn’t?

    • A.C.

      Hi, Johnathan. If you do not receive your electronic payment on the scheduled pay date, please contact your bank or financial institution first. If you still need to report a late, missing, or stolen Social Security payment, please visit our Frequently Asked Questions. Thanks!

  4. John E.

    I retired at a reduced rate at age 62. I am just turning 70. I read somewhere, that I can payback and start drawing full benefits. Where do I find information about this? Thank you.

    • A.C.

      Hi, John. It sounds like you are referring to withdrawing your application. To withdraw, you must do this within 12 months after the date you originally began receiving benefits. Keep in mind that there are some things you need to know about what will happen if you withdraw your application. Check out the details on our Withdrawing Your Social Security Retirement Application webpage. Hope this helps!

  5. Eddie P.

    How much tax do I need to pay the government for earning online as a self-employed blogger? I create coc mods under the fan-made content policy of Supercell.

  6. Jeannie T.

    Where is my SS ck

    • Jeannie T.

      When will my SS ck be mailed?

    • A.C.

      Hi, Jeannie. If you do not receive your electronic payment on the scheduled pay date, please contact your bank or financial institution first. If you still need to report a late, missing, or stolen Social Security payment, please visit our Frequently Asked Questions. Thanks!

  7. James F.

    I am self-employed. You are still showing my 2020 income as $0, even though I filed my 2020 Form 1040 and Schedule SE in March 2021. How far are the IRS and SSA in posting self-employed income? Or is there potentially a problem with my return and Schedule?

    • A.C.

      Hi, James. Thanks for your question. To correct your earnings record, you will need to provide us evidence of your earnings, such as W-2s, pay stubs, etc. If you don’t have the evidence that we require, call your former employers to find out if they can help you. Once you’ve obtained your evidence, call our toll-free number at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778). Representatives are available Monday through Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. You can also submit your evidence to your local Social Security office. We hope this helps.

  8. Alice I.

    you need a post to complain about a local Social Security office. I don’t know where to go. Whose going to believe me anyway. I can’t call the local office because their always on her side.

    • A.C.

      Hi, Alice. We are sorry to hear about your experience. You can submit feedback by visiting our Contact Social Security page. Once there, select the “Email Us” link. This will take you to the “Email A Question to our Support Team” form where you can complete and submit a compliment, complaint, or suggestion. We hope this helps.

  9. George D.

    I live overseas (France) and have not been able to get my Personal Social Security account because I don’t have a Stateside address and phone number. When is that going to change?

    • Alan C.

      Hi, George, I live overseas as well and I have just solved the problem by creating an account. In the SSA sing in page click “Sing In with”, then you’ll have a chance to create an account. Once that’s done you’ll be able to access your SS account. You can go to the website and take a look at FAQ. Hope this will help.

  10. Charlene g.

    I have been advised that my granddaughter is eligible for dependent benefits thru her fathers social security disability. She is not disabled, but he started receiving his benefits this last summer. He is ordered to pay child support, but hasn’t for several years, so I was told to take this route. Can I file for her benefits online and what form do I use?

    • Tanya R.

      You need to file an SSA-4. That’s an application for child’s benefits. You also need to request to be payee.
      There is a place to get a garnishment order for nonpayment of child support. I don’t know exactly where to look.

    • A.C.

      Hi, Charlene. Please contact your local Social Security office for assistance. Thanks!

Comments are closed.