Online Services

Receiving Housing Benefits? A Trip to Social Security May Not Be Necessary

February 16, 2017 • By

Reading Time: 1 Minute

Last Updated: November 3, 2023

elderly man and woman holding hands Social Security is constantly evolving to make your life easier. If you are currently receiving benefits from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), and are reapplying for benefits, or are assisting someone with their application, a trip to the Social Security office is probably not necessary even if verification of Social Security benefits is needed.

Because of a data exchange established between Social Security and HUD, most people do not need to contact Social Security for a benefit verification letter. HUD administrators processing a Re-certification Application for Housing Assistance can use their Enterprise Income Verification (EIV) System to verify Social Security and Supplemental Security Income benefits.

Public housing agencies, private owners, and management agents administering HUD rental assistance programs may get registration information about EIV by logging onto the following websites:  or

If you are a new applicant for housing assistance, you can provide your HUD administrator with your Social Security award letter, Cost of Living Adjustment (COLA) notice, SSA-1099, or other SSA benefit document you should have received at the beginning of the calendar year or when you began receiving benefits, whichever is later.

We created these data exchange agreements to help you get the support you need at the first point of contact, even if that’s not with Social Security.  If you do need to provide proof of Social Security benefits yourself, we have another way to save you a trip to Social Security.  You can get an instant benefit verification letter with a personal my Social Security account at

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications


  1. Ruby. T.

    This cola we are about to receive all goes to our rent increase except one dollar so how are we getting a increase in our Socical security it all goes to hud so we do not get a raise hud gets the raise it is so unfair to. All seniors

  2. kim h.

    I am nearly 65 years old and have worked all my life I have found myself homeless. I do have a BS and currently staying with a friend. I know this will not last forever. Please help me and guide me to any type of assistance out there. I don;t know where to start. I am alone and recently buried both my parents. They had a nice home but; unfortunaley my childhood home was lost when they died. Please guide me I am desparate and my health is not good. I never believed this could happen to me. Please help me I an an American citizen and a senior what am I going to do?

    • Luis A.

      Hi Kim. We are sorry for your situation. Even though we, Social Security, cannot helps you with housing and other assistance, there are agencies in your State that may be able to help you. You may be eligible to receive social services from the state in which you live. These services include free meals, housekeeping help, transportation, or help with other problems. To get information about services in your area, and find out if your brother qualifies, you will need to contact your state or local social services or welfare office. You should also contact your local Medicare SHIP (State Health Insurance Program Coordinator) to discuss your health insurance options. We hope this helps.

  3. Marjorie A.

    I’m 84 and moving to a senior facility. The director wants a Social Security award letter. I could not find such a heading on your website. How do I get one?

    • Luis A.

      Hi Marjorie. If you need a benefit verification letter, you can view it, print it, and save your benefit verification letter using your personal my Social Security account. Or you can call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778). We hope this helps.

  4. Francisca t.

    I never got my social security card in the mail what do i do now?

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Francisca. Thanks for your question. Typically, after we receive your application and verify your documents, you should receive your Social Security card by mail within 10 business days. To follow up on your application for a Social Security replacement card, you may have to return to the office where you filed your application. On your receipt there should be a local phone number for you to call and speak to someone about the status of your card. You can also find your local office information here. We hope this helps.

  5. Mildred H.

    Hey my apartments are doing recertification and my son receives SSI benefits. When I was signing into the my account which has been a while I locked it I guess. So I was wondering if I could get a copy of the action notice for 2019 no older than 4 months she said

  6. Eric W.

    I think social security is necessary especially for the senior citizen who has no one to take care of them and for the disabled people… and there are other groups of people indeed needed the helped! cutting it down and not solving the solve would definitely not a wise decision according to me!
    My Home:

  7. James O.

    Thank you for help. Now I can start to fight the mold in my house. I have read that mold spores can be very harmful to human health. Also, I think it’s a good decision to choose an air purifier for mold and mildew

  8. glenda a.

    does social security assist someone who does not have enough money to add rooms to their home? and maybe a new roof too. I am disabled and I live with my dad as his caregiver. he is also disabled, my daughter and her family live with us to assist with my health care and my dad. we need to add 2 bedrooms to the house, is there any kind of help available to us ?

  9. Kirby r.

    I’m in need of affordable housing and I’m only on a fixed income SSDIcan you help me get housing . waiting lists are so long I’m not 65 yet but I need hosing now I prefer section 8 if possible

  10. preston h.

    hi im on ssi and ssdi have been for 20 plus years i need housing assistance i have a lenghty arrest record mostly cause of drugs i currently have 34 months clean tommarow im not on parole or probation can you please help me with anything that might help me as i will soon be homeless i live in springfield il thanks

Comments are closed.