193 thoughts on “National Social Security Month Shines a Light on Our Online Services

  1. I have been trying to get money owed to me returned to treasury dept. since 10/2017. Said money returned from public guardian. Las Vegas Nevada. I have been to S.S. office several times told I would get this money. Never have gotten It. I have copies of checks, every number possible. You all seem to be {LIARS} . So I have retained legal counsel. Over $5000.00 I don’t make any waves I am a Christian. But rest assured I will recover this money. My name is Leonard A. Dressler *** – ** – ***–(424)-250-5967

    • And yet this article has nothing to do with your personal beef. Go ahead and waste your money on an attorney but don’t bother others about this.

  2. For a person having standard family and living pay check to pay check will not be survived in retirement on social security benefits which at present a retired person get.

  3. Ever since I started collecting SS years ago, I’ve found the online resource to be helpful and easy to navigate.

    Keep up the good work!

  4. I’m probably going to die before I ever get the money I am owed SSI this sucks and I was born disabled thanks for nothing but heartache and more headaches TBI makes it hard to get by and The abusive alcoholic that drinks and drives every single day punched me in the kidneys till I was pissing blood Don’t have anywhere else to live

  5. Dear Sir or Madam:

    When does SSA would allow customers to make changes to their tax withholding online?

    It is a big hassle to mail the W4-V form and it takes 2 to 3 months for change to go in effect.

    Please permit us do this line.

    Thank you

    • Thanks for your comment! We value your thoughts and will use your suggestions to explore how we can further improve the services we offer.
      Your feedback is greatly appreciated!

  6. Hello,
    Let me begin by saying, I never in my working life, did I consider Social Security as an entitlement. More as an insurance policy I paid premium to every pay period.
    Now, after applying three times, being denied three times, I can honestly say, I’m at a loss. The first two denials where because I couldn’t provide enough proof, that I was disabled enough too qualify. Doctors written notes and the T. W. C. spokesman explaining I was either unhireable or that I would be a burden to any employer that would hire me.
    This last attempt, I was informed I need 5 consecutive tax returns to qualify. Well, because I couldn’t work, due to my disability. I wasn’t able to produce these documents. Hope this is becoming clear. I’m here, unable to work, turned down by a system I’ be paid into for 30 years. So, I’ll have to find someone who’ll take the chance to hire me and hope my conditions will stay in check for some time. Know this message may get through to a few like individuals. Not to the Social Security Administration.

    Thanks for Reading,
    Keith Ambush

    P. S.
    This time I had the documentation, didn’t matter.

    • You have to meet insured status. Generally speaking, you have to show you became disabled and unable to work within a certain time frame. Most people say that you need 5 years of work in the past ten years. This is simplistic. In other words, you can’t just stop working and five years later become disabled. Medical evidence has to show your disability began during the time you were insured. Did you ever appeal the decisions and ask for a hearing? The good news is that you are entitled to retirement when you meet the age requirement.

  7. I work at the public defenders office and trying to conduct or get records seems to take a long time. Meaning it is hard to get in touch with someone about records we need. Is there anyway we can contact some directly by phone, email or fax?

  8. th. 4.5.18 For those who can work with a computer this is a good arrangement.
    2. Payments from the Social Security fund should be available only to those who actually contribute to the fund. S.S. should work like a bank.
    To be able to help those who do not contribute to S.S. fund, there should be some other program.

    • There is, it’s called SSI or Supplemental Security Income. It is a welfare payment for those who have a sketchy work history or never worked at all. Basically, you have to meet an income and resource test and be disabled.

  9. It’s a great time to remember that we all need to speak out and up to our congressional critters about how much we value the earned benefits we have paid into all our working lives. I’ve been paying onto the system since I was 14, and now there are political forces trying to gut our earned benefits (to “pay for” tax cuts for billionaires), and /or cripple the SSA or hand it over to Wall Street grifters.
    This must NEVER HAPPEN! Too many of depend on this program in our later years, and if we become disabled. Make it clear to your reps that you will not support any candidate that votes to cut our earned benefits. This is completely UNACCEPTABLE.
    Social Security is solvent and will be into the distant future with just a few tweaks, like raising the earnings cap on the Social Security tax, etc.
    Don’t get complacent, folks – certain people have been gunning for your benefits for a long time, and now they’re more determined than ever. If you care about these benefits, SPEAK UP NOW!

    • There are no political forces trying to gut the SS program. So when you rant and rave to your Congressman, they treat your request as ravings from a maniac. Chances are it then goes into the round file or is sent to the FBI.

  10. I have used the online site for awhile now and enjoy having it as it beats holding online for 15/20 minutes to get things done. The only thing you can’t do is get your salary that’s wrong changed…But everything you can see and do! I like having it…

    • Thank you for your comment, Patricia! We’re pleased we can help. To correct your earnings record you will need to go into your local Social Security office. When you go, you will need to provide proper ID and evidence of your correct earnings, such as W-2s, pay stubs, etc.
      Please read our publication “How to Correct Your Social Security Earnings Record” for more information.
      You can call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) to make an appointment. Representatives are available Monday through Friday between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Generally, you’ll have a shorter wait time if you call later during the day or later in the week. Thanks!

      • Hi and thank you so very much..
        I will certainly try that…I will call and/or email if I have any issues, however like I said I have used your site for awhile now.

        Thank You

        • Just a reminder – We do not have access to personal information, therefore, we do not do direct messaging in this venue. Please be cautious about posting personal information on social media and communicating personal information via email.

  11. I would really like to get my SSA account back. You guys let Jim Freeman take over my account and reduce the amount that I was drawing under him. I have called at least 12 times and got 12 different answers. I want to get on my account, they blocked my account and I can’t even appeal until I know what I am talking about please help XXX-XX-XXXX nancy freeman (859)432-1113

    • Unfortunately, but for security reasons, we do not have access to personal records in this blog. Please continue working with your local office. You can request to speak with the manager to see how we can help to expedite resolution of your situation. If you are unable to visit the local office, you can call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213, representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Generally, you will have a shorter wait time if you call later in the week. Thanks.

  12. I did not realize that that would be public, please remove my social and phone number right away…Thanks

  13. The “My Social Security” accounts is an excellent service. However, as a benefits recipient living abroad, the service was of no use when my benefits were cut off in February because I had not returned a form to the US, a form I never received. One would think that a notification of some sort would have appeared on my account but there was nothing to alert me that my benefits were in danger of being suspended. The only indication was an after-the-fact notice that I was “not receiving benefits.” Fortunately, the office in the Philippines was able to sort out the issue in a few weeks but the whole problem could have been avoided by a simple message on “My Social Security.”

  14. I didn’t get my automatic deposit for April 2018.
    I live in Ecuador. It normally comes on the 3rd of each month. It goes to my savings account # 9183030 at the bank of Guayaquil. My SS# *** – ** – ***.

    Thank you for your help in solving the problem.

    • Hello John. We recommend that individuals living outside the United States contact their local U.S. embassy or consulate for any assistance related to Social Security programs and benefits. Also, our Office of International Operations home page provides more information to assist our customers living abroad.
      Just a reminder – Please be cautious about posting personal information on any social media channels. Thanks!

  15. I am retired and 72 and have custody of my grandson age 3, Can I claim him as a dependant on Social Security and SSI? or must I loose any help with his care.

  16. No matter what I do I am no able to create an online account. I stayed on the phone for over an hour this morning to find out I have to wait 24 hours before trying again.

    • Hi Jewel! We’re sorry that you had difficulty accessing your my Social Security account. If you are still having trouble accessing your account, please call our dedicated my Social Security-Hotline. Call 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. At the voice prompt, say “helpdesk”. Sometimes is best to contact your local Social Security office. Thanks.

  17. I have a question concerning my sister she is disabled from the state of Alabama on a back related injury. she has diabetes along with kidney failure and has to go to dialysis 3 days a week caused from the diabetes . She just found out she is on a donors list in Nashville tn. she is moving to Nashville tn because she only has 2 hours to get there if a kidney is available.
    1. Can she get additional help for the diabetes and kidney failure from SS.
    2. How does this affect her insurance which is through Humaner Ins of Alabama. Can she change her insurance to TN Care. after she moves and how does she go about doing that.
    3. Some of her medicine is 400.00 a month her insurance will not pay and she cant afford it.
    4. what is the name of the insurance if she cannot ge TN Care?

  18. This blog provides a wonderful and informative review of America’s Social Security Program.
    I wish it were available in its present format during my working and planning years. At age 72, I still like to be informed even though I am beyond making changes to my benefit program.
    You provide a great service to the American people!!
    Thank you.

    • We’re pleased we can help, Richard. Social Security is committed to providing world-class customer service today and in the years to come.
      We appreciate your thoughts. Thanks for your comment!

  19. Mr Borland, please pass on my appreciation to your organization for such a great and highly effective website. I am in my 70’s, drawing benefits and followed SS for decades. The subject matter is deceptively tricky with many choices and caveats. Your newsletter to which I subscribe is a fantastic reference tool as well as newsletter….maybe the best the government has to offer! Many thanks.

    • Thank you, Mike! Your thoughts are important to us and we’re pleased when feedback is positive. We try hard to provide the best possible service to our customers and your satisfaction is our reward.

  20. I need to cancel taxes that are with held from my SS check. I have called with no results and I’m unable to log in. Can you help me please

  21. I am receiving ssd benefits, was wondering if benefit amount increase now that I’m at retirement age, I’m 63 years old.

  22. I need to change my social security benefits from my deceased husbands to my own social security benefits. How do I do that?

  23. My husband and I are very upset with the new ‘security ‘ changes. We have one email address and one phone. We cannot add additional . The changes prohibit one of us from having an account as it will only accept the email and phone number on one account. This seriously needs to be changed. We can’t be the only married people with one phone and one email address . We could use email for one and phone for the other but the profile requires both. PLEASE FIX THIS SO NORMAL MARRIED PEOPLE CAN BOTH HAVE A MY SOCIAL SECURITY ACCOUNT. we would be happy to sign something saying it’s ok with us or whatever but right now we see no option online

  24. I applied for SS at 62. I receive approximately $600 a month. I am curious about how much money I can earn at a job, and not affect my SS payment? Eileen

  25. hi.
    I filled out and sent an online application for spousal benefits on Nov.15/2017 and any answer still didn’t get I just get mailboxes on the given numbers and I wrote a lot of emails asking my application status but not getting any answer .Can you tell me where can I get help. I live in ecuador and don’t have landline phone living in very rural area.

  26. I am 100% permanently disabled military veteran due to combat and am also approved and receiving monthly disability payment from Social Security. I am currently age 60 and want to know what will happen to my Social Security Disability payment when I reach the age of 66 and 8 months. Will I just continue receiving Social Security Disability monthly payment or will I begin at age 66 and 8 months automatically start to receive just regular social security monthly payment in the same amount as my current Social Security Disability monthly payment for the rest of my life? Also at age 66 and 8 months is there anything I am supposed to do with the Social Security Administration???


  28. How do I complain about a doctor who is abusive and wasteful in writing prescriptions for Part D. I would like him investigated by Medicare.

    • If you are unable to create an account or encounter a problem with your my Social Security account, you may:
      •Call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. At the voice prompt, say “helpdesk”; or
      •Contact your local Social Security office. Thanks!

  29. Can I apply for Part B online and have an effective date of July 1, 2018, as this will be my retirement date from my employer. I am 72 and have Medicare part A since turning 65

  30. I heard that our Social Security numbers would be replaced on our cards with a new, unrelated number to protect our identities.
    Is this true? Will we receive a replacement card with the different number?

  31. I just received a letter from the IRS saying my ss# was used by someone else to gain employment! They say that so far the fraud has not affected my taxes. I put a fraud alert on my accounts with the credit scoring companies as they suggested. What else can I do?
    Marcia Jo Huntley

    • Hi Marcia. Generally, identity theft issues are handled by the Federal Trade Commission. You can find more information on their website: http://www.idtheft.gov or by calling 1-877-IDTHEFT (1-877-438-4338).
      If you think someone is using your number, there are several actions you can take. See our Frequently Asked Questions web page for more information on this topic. We hope this information helps!

  32. I’m 60 years old and I had a heart bypass surgery in 2005 and was able to return to work that year. In 2006 I had a stroke and I was able to return to work after 4 months of rehab. Now I’m struggling with cognitive and fatigue from the stroke and I think disability is in my future. I have Aphasia I don’t know how to proceed to get benefits. The claim application looks overwhelming to me.

    • Thank you for contacting us, David. If you do not wish to use the online application, you can call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778). Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Or you can contact your local Social Security office directly.
      An appointment is not required, but if you call ahead and schedule one, it may reduce the time you spend waiting to apply. It will also establish “protective filing” and prevent any loss of benefits. See “Information You Need to Apply for Disability Benefits“.

  33. Why do you not have the ability to change tax withholding on line? Currently I have to go to my local authority in person if I want to make a change. Thanks

  34. i’ve relocated to florida and have not been able to receive my medicaid benefits. We’ve tried every agency and are currently paying $134.00 each per month. It’s causing hardship on my family, trying to pay bills and food. We need help as soon as possible. This has been ongoing since 11/17/2017

  35. How can I get the last quarter that I need in order to get my social security funds each month? I am retired and I am not trying to go back to work. Is there another way that I can get this quarter?

    Please let me know as soon as possible.

    • Hello Janie, You cannot get more credits by voluntarily contributing money to Social Security. You can earn credits only by working in a job or your own business that is covered under Social Security. In the year 2018, you must earn $1,320 in covered earnings to get one Social Security or Medicare work credit. Thanks!

    • Hello Nadell. If you are the divorced spouse of a worker who dies, you could get benefits just the same as a widow or widower, provided that your marriage lasted 10 years or more.
      You cannot report a death or apply for survivors benefits online. To see if you’re eligible and to apply for benefits, call 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778). You can speak to a Social Security representative between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Monday through Friday. You can also contact your local Social Security office. An appointment is not required, but if you call ahead and schedule one, it may reduce the time you spend waiting to speak to someone. Thanks.

  36. Hello,
    I have an employee that works for a Board of Education and is retiring this June 2018.
    She was a substitute teacher here from 1/17/96 to 9/30/98.
    We need to see that she paid into social security between those dates.
    Please advise what form I would need to request/fill out to obtain this information to not hold up here retirement.
    Thank you

  37. I been trying to sign in my account for longtime but no matter the way I tried I can’t I will be waiting for el password from you as you promed .

    • Hi Minerva, if you are unable to create an account or encounter a problem with your my Social Security account, you may:
      •Call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. At the voice prompt, say “helpdesk”; or
      •Contact your local Social Security office. Thanks!

  38. How do I change my ss name. I now get half my ex husband ss but now that I’am 70 I need to change it to my ss.

    • Social Security offers an online retirement application that you can complete in as little as 15 minutes. If you cannot apply online or you decide not to finish applying online, for whatever reason, you can apply by phone or in person at any Social Security office. Call 1-800-772-1213 to make an appointment and to avoid any loss of benefits. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.
      We hope this helps!

  39. I have a question—can I change my Federal and State withholdings amounts on line or do I have to call or come to a SSA office?

    Thank you.

    Keith Whitenight

  40. You have not given me a appt date for a hearing. I have been off work a year. S office said call back in six months. What the what. I need a date so I can figure out my finances. I am not willing to loose my house or car waiting for just a date. Why can’t you give me one ? It’s something to go on. Now I told my doctor to send me back to work with my disability so I won’t be homeless. This is the most painful experience to bare. Because you don’t care how hard I worked all my life to be disrespected by this corporation. I don’t have any trust in America anymore. There are more non Americans receiving these benefits. How sad.

  41. I read a while back that our current Medicare cards would be replaced with new cards. I haven’t received a new one yet. Is that still going to happen if so, when?
    Thank you

  42. Did not ask for this online service or blog that I remember would rather have a access point to check my ss account and status for future rather than BLOG!!

  43. When I reached 65 I certified I did not want Medicare part B! I have been calling SS to take me off Part B, I have insurance from my husband who is still working and paying insurance. I haven’t used Part B, but my own personal insurance when I have needed it.
    I have called several times, have been told I will get a call back and never happens. How can I get this resolved and get my money back for all the payments I have made to Medicare B?

    • We apologize for any inconvenience. Our policy requires a personal interview be conducted with everyone who wants to terminate their Medicare Part B benefits. We
      If your Medicare Part B is continuing you need to contact your local Social Security office immediately. If necessary, our representatives at your local office will help you submit the required Form CMS-1763, “Request for Termination of Premium Hospital and /or Supplementary Medical Insurance”, or your signed request for termination. Thanks.

  44. I cannot get my monthly Social security statement online.Please send in mail from now on. Thank you Brian Pantelis 36208 Woodingham Clinton Twp mi 48035

    • Unfortunately, and because of security reasons we do not have access to personal records in this blog. One of our representatives should be able to assist you. Please call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 for assistance. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Generally, you will have a shorter wait time if you call later during the day or later in the week. Thanks!

  45. I have submitted two (2) applications for Extra Help assistance (9/23/17 and 12/20/17). I have written to them four (4) times requesting a reply as to the status (2/4/18, 2/20/18, 3/12/18 and 3/27/18). As of 4/15/18 I have not received any response at all. What do I have to do to get them to respond to me?!?!?

    • Hello Ruth. Unfortunately, and because of security reasons we do not have access to personal records in this blog and cannot answer your question at this time. One of our representatives should be able to provide you with an explanation. Please call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 for assistance. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Generally, you will have a shorter wait time if you call later during the day or later in the week. Thanks.

  46. Great site. I’ve been retired and drawing SS for 13 years. I also receive two other checks which have SS payments deducted. Am I entitled to an increase in my current SS.

    • Thank you, James! Your thoughts are important to us and we’re pleased when feedback is positive.
      If you’re working, current law requires that everyone working in covered employment or self-employment regardless of age or eligibility for benefits must pay Social Security taxes. If you work while receiving retirement benefits, your monthly benefit amount could increase. Each year, we review the records for all working Social Security recipients to see if additional earnings may increase monthly benefits.
      See our Benefits Planner: Getting Benefits While Working for more information. Thanks!

  47. I am thinking about hiring someone to cook, clean my home and care for my in my home. Am I required to pay Social Security taxes for this person?

    • Hello Doug. If you have a household employee, you may need to withhold and pay social security and Medicare taxes, pay federal unemployment tax, or both. For further income tax questions, you will need to contact the Internal Revenue Services at http://www.irs.gov. Their toll-free number is 1-800-829-1040.

  48. How do you have taxes taken out of you apply online?? Or do you have to go apply in person?? Also, if I live in Erie County can I go to the SS office in Niagara Falls???

  49. Please note i appreciate the communication from social security. I only wish there was a way people like me could pay into the system to get above the threshold for medicare. I work iabroaf and do not get a W2. Despite being a resident of a state where i own a home ( and care for elders) and where i am signed up for jury duty, i have not been able to make payments.

  50. I’m currently receiving SSI due to a traumatic brain injury. I have had a few jobs here and there but what I have found is that I don’t work well with others. I feel as if I’m treated unfairly, this then begins to hurt and I quickly use anger as a protection barrier to hide my sadness. I really want a job and I’m tired of constantly being a failure for my family. One day it would mean so much to me to prove to them that though I have limitations I can still be successful. I’m so desperate now that I’m writing a comment to social security. I don’t know where else to go or what to do. Any advice would be appreciated.

  51. I recently paid my 2017 income taxes . They were high as I sold the farm which I inherited after my husband passed away in 2013. Upon the advice of my accountant, my question is this; will it affect my SS benefits for the upcoming year?

    • Thank you for your question, Barbara. Only “special payments” that you receive for work you did before you started getting Social Security benefits can affect your benefits.
      Some people have to pay federal income taxes on their Social Security benefits. This usually happens only if you have other substantial income (such as wages, self-employment, interest, dividends and other taxable income that must be reported on your tax return) in addition to your benefits. We hope this helps!

  52. I tried to get into my social security and found that I needed a security number to get into it. I had to get out of my account to get the number that was sent to me on my e-mail. When I got back into my account I found that the number was changed again. I don’t do tex
    and I don’t have two computers so I felt like a dog chasing his tail. I finally wound up having to call and wait 50 minutes to get my answer.

  53. I have a friend who moved to California who is/was in his 90’s and I believe he died, I tried to google the date no record anywhere do you have records and is it open to the public?

    • Hello Pam, we used to offer a “letter forwarding service” to help you locate a missing person. Effective May 19, 2014, Social Security stopped providing this service.
      See our Frequently Asked Questions web page for more information. Thanks!

  54. I have gone on the website to get my statement. I’ve tried to create a new password 3 times and it won’t let me type it a second time to verify. Help!
    I have my user name and security questions and I get my security code texted.All of that works just fine. I just can’t create a new password.

    • Hello Georgia, if you are unable to create an account or encounter a problem with your my Social Security account, you may:
      •Call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. At the voice prompt, say “helpdesk”; or
      •Contact your local Social Security office. Thanks!

  55. How are SS benefits calculated? I know someone who took benefits at 62, was making 92,000, worked at a job(s) since 16 years old, and receives a benefit of 1500.00. Someone else I know took benefit at 62, making around 65,000 a year and is getting a 1900.00 benefit. Why is there a difference?

  56. whats the point of having online access when there is no help recovering your account without a run around, if you cant drive/ dont have a legal vehicle to a local office then if you have a ride the local office always seems to be closed.. the “HELP DESK” would not help due to a pin protect still being on my account that was supposed to be lifted back in August 2017 but the issue was not handled.. now i can access my ssi information at all. I am so tired of continually getting a run around… I lost my husband in 2011 then a wreck in 2015 and dont have the memory i used to but..I got messed over on his widows benefits and now this going on. Folks ask my why I stay up set well for one I can barely survive let alone struggling to beg someone for a ride into the main office which is almost an hour away…How is any of this fair.

  57. How much of my personal information is made public?
    I forgot password I used a couple of years ago how can I change my password?

    • Thank you for your questions, Rebecca. Social Security records are confidential and we do not disclose information, unless we have proper authorization or consent.
      If you are unable to create an account or encounter a problem with your my Social Security account, you may:
      •Call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. At the voice prompt, say “helpdesk”; or
      •Contact your local Social Security office.

  58. Why did SS cut my benefit check to only six hundred and change when I shoild be getting $902? This is very unfair to a senoir who had bypass surgery. I have put in a challene to that action, but so far, no response.

    Please advise.

    Ray A Hussa. Phone 208 765 6863

    • Hello Ray. Unfortunately, and because of security reasons we do not have access to personal records in this blog and cannot answer your question at this time. One of our representatives should be able to provide you with an explanation. Please call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 for assistance. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Generally, you will have a shorter wait time if you call later during the day or later in the week. Thanks.

  59. I am receiving social security right now. I was receiving early social security due to a liver transplant. I an now off social security disability. Can I ge my regular social security payment?

    • If you are unable to create an account or encounter a problem with your my Social Security account, you may:
      •Call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. At the voice prompt, say “helpdesk”; or
      •Contact your local Social Security office. Thanks!

    • Thank you for contacting us, Leslie. If you are already getting Social Security retirement benefits, you will be enrolled in Medicare Parts A and B automatically. However, because you must pay a premium for Part B coverage, you have the option of turning it down. If you are not already getting retirement benefits, you should contact us about three months before your 65th birthday to sign up for Medicare.
      You can sign up for Medicare even if you do not plan to retire at age 65. To learn more, read our publication on “Medicare“.
      We hope this information helps!

  60. Can I set up federal tax to be deducted from my monthly social security benefit that is deposited into my checking account online or must I call Social Security to have this done?

  61. I’d like to request a raise. Unlike the senators/congressmen, I’d be able to live on $175,000 a year if given the opportunity. Give them our checks and see how they would live.

  62. I retired early last year. I am a widow and was planning on applying for benefits from my late husbands social security at age 59 1/2. Has the age for applying been changed to 62?

  63. I thought we were going to receive new cards that do not have our SS numbers on them. when can I expect to receive a new card?

  64. My tax accountant said that I need to withhold money from social security this year or I will be penalize. What should I do? If i need to withhold money how much should I withhold?

  65. This is the 4th year I have made this attempt to re open my account and the 4th year I have received the same bullshit run around. I know my fathers middle name and it was indeed, Wesley, my first car was a 1950 Plymouth Convertible and I was in my home in Porterville watching the attack on the twin towers on 9/11. Those must be the answers I gave, they are the only ones I have. If you cannot rectify this problem please advise me who I can contact that is willing to do their job in your organization so I can contact them!

    • Neal, it is BS when SSA continues to use Experian to validate our information. If you block Experian, you cannot set up an online account. Talk about collusion.

  66. I need to make an appointment to see about getting help with home repair of and for ramps along with other misc. issues for present needs and following upcoming surgeries. Haven’t been able to get through to make one. The office closest to me is the Valrico, FL office. Can you help me with this? Thank you so much.

  67. Is my ssi monthly benefit for the month of April 2018 is sent to my chase bank direct deposit?
    Bharti Mehta

  68. I have an account but it won’t open. I tried to set up a new account..need to change my address. Asked for a activation code you sent me which I never received.

  69. OK. I’ve created a my Social Security account. I need to request a replacement SS card. I meet the criteria to order one online but I can’t find where to do that. I keep getting sent in a circle telling me I can but not indicating HOW. Can you help?

  70. A question:
    I have been receiving monthly SS payment at the rate equivalent to half of the minimum payment. I often wondered if this rate (amount) had been calculated correctly. Your recalculating it would be greatly appreciate. My SS no. Is *** – ** – ***.
    Thank you. Jay H. Chung

  71. I need a new letter stating the cost of my Medicare Part B Premiums are to give to my former employer.
    I misplaced the letter sent.

  72. How can SSA continue to use Experian to confirm our information? I blocked that company’s access to my information after their unbelievable breach with failure to notify us. I will not grant Experian access again! As a result of SSA’s decision to continue its relationship with Experian, I cannot set up a MySS account and will continue to call an office for assistance. What a waste of dollars and time!

  73. I cannot afford my medications due to being Tier 4. I have 5 medications that if I order online, comes in a 3 month quantity and costs me $131.00 for each. Can you help me or direct me.
    Thank you

  74. I haven’t been able to get into my personal account for two years now! I need to have it reset! I have tried to contact someone by phone and email and never get any response. I can not use the site unless someone helps me out! Please!

  75. Every time I try to access my online account I end up having to change my password. This is very frustrating! I carefully write my new password down, but the next time I try it, it no good. I don’t have this problem with my bank or other online services I use.

    • Hi Lynn, we’re sorry that you’re having difficulty accessing your personal my Social Security account. Please call our dedicated my Social Security-Hotline at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) for assistance, at the voice prompt, say “helpdesk”. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Thanks!

  76. Would like to know why my benefits don’t go u since I am still working and paying in social security every year plus what my employer pays in

  77. I’m now receiving spousal benefits but would like to know what to expect when I turn 70 – July 26, 2019.

  78. I was on Social Security for decades until May 2016. During that time, I had a total of $20,000 overpayment for which I had applied for 3 or 4 wavers. Social security agreed that my case was a big mess, which would take a longtime to clean it up. And by end of 2016 social security cleaned the whole mess up but I still owed $9,700. I worked out a payment plan with social security to take so much out of my monthly check toward the overpayment. In May of 2016, I stopped receiving benefits because I was gainfully employed and making way more of what was required by Social Security. I am still employed.

    In February 2018, my nightmare started again when I received 3 different letters from Social Security telling me that I have an over payment for a total of $9,417. Even though the letters have my personal information correct but my name is incorrect. Social Security wrote my name with a middle initial. There is no middle name and my name. I went to my local office and I show my ID and everything else with my name on them and the lady just went ballistic on me screaming at me “all the information on the letters is yours so the overpayment belongs to you and if you’re still against it, you can file for a waver.” Why should I file a waver for an overpayment that doesn’t belong to me? And the local office refused to tell me what period this overpayment was occurred. So right now I don’t know if the first $9,700 is the true overpayment or this $9,417 or both. I am now being threatened to get my wages garnished for the $9,417. I will be 66 on January 2019 in which time I will start collecting SS. They told me they can’t wait until 2019 to collect the money from my benefits. Can’t sleep and don’t know what to!

  79. I have a real problem! I have been denied my spousal benefits from my husband’s social security, for 28 years of our retirement. My husband is in failing health. He will be 91 next month, and I just discovered when he passes I still cannot get his social security. I was a teacher and Congress is punishing me for teaching nine and ten year olds for 27 years. I was not able to work to 30 years for my pension to be greater, because of an ill son, so my teacher’s pension isn’t that great. I”m niney and will lose my home when my husband passes. He was in the Navy World War II, and I feel neglected by my country. My husband paid the max to social security for over 35 years. I think this is most unfair to deny me these benefits! Betty Lou Rogers

  80. I was suppose to start getting SS, they sent me 1st check with back 6 months a month and half ago then nothing since then, what happened, my ss number *** – ** – ***

Leave a Reply - (comment policy)

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *