Online Services

See What You Can Do Online!

April 16, 2018 • By

Reading Time: 1 Minute

Last Updated: August 19, 2021

For over 80 years, Social Security has changed to meet the needs of our customers. Today, our easy, secure, and convenient-to-use online services allow you to do business with us from the comfort of your preferred location. From requesting a Social Security card to filing for retirement, our online services have got you covered. Check out our infographic, which shows what you can do online:

See What You Can Do Online, S S A Publication 05-10216, Infographic

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: ,

See Comments

About the Author

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications


  1. Irvin G.

    how do I change my address?

  2. Paula J.

    Hello, I have gotten a social security card but it had been lost and I do not remember the number. How can I obtain back the number or the card?


    • Ray F.

      You will have to visit your local Social Security office, as we do not release Social Security number by phone. Please bring in proper identification. To learn more on the process and what documents you will need to get a card, please visit our “Social Security Number and Card” web page. Thanks!

  3. Eleanor J.

    Please send me my 2017 Social Security 1099.
    The DMV requires an original 1099, not a copy, and I need to get my special drivers license renewal. They won’t issue it with a copy. They require the original 1099. Please send it to me as soon as possible.
    Eleanor Lapin
    2020 Biloxi Pass
    Henderson, NV 89052

    • Ray F.

      For security reasons, we do not have access to personal records in this venue. See: How can I get a form SSA-1099 Social Security Benefit Statement? . Thanks!

      • Rita M.

        Rita mercer Josiah Mercer island WA and the other day that you can get it done by then and now the other side of things to say10160sedixiehwyhobesoundfl33455

      • robert h.

        dear ray fernandez, i clicked on that link for how can i get a form ssa 1099 and it says that page does not exist.

        • Ann C.

          Hi, Robert. You can request a replacement SSA-1099/1042S for Tax Year 2019 by visiting your personal my Social Security account. You can also contact or visit your local Social Security office. They can assist with a replacement 1099. We hope this helps.

  4. Richard W.

    Dear Social Security, I live in Thailand and I would like to have an online SS account. Earlier that wasn’t possible. Has the situation changed? If not please change to allow retired persons living outside of the USA to have an account. Thanks very much!

    • Ray F.

      We are sorry for the inconvenience, Richard. The “my Social Security” authentication system requires address verification as one of the essential criteria for issuing an account. People with APO/FPO/DPO addresses can create an account overseas, but our system does not support registration and account creation for users with a foreign address yet. Please contact your local U.S. embassy or consulate for any assistance related to your Social Security benefits.

  5. Iqbal C.

    My wife has been having big trouble opening an Acctt on line. Your response keeps saying call us by phone and when we call we are asked to wait for an hour or more which is not practical. Why cant SSA get our phone # and call back after that one or even more hours ??

    Iqbal Chaudhry
    631 413 9480

  6. Mary W.

    I need my account atervation code

  7. Steven M.

    Yes I would like to find out why after 10 years of being on disability for degenerative disc disease that since I turned 66 I am no longer eligible for disability and was put on regular retirement which is cutting my only source of income by almost $200 a month it doesn’t seem right and I would like to see about appealing it please let me know

  8. Fahmi N.

    When will you do something to the system to allow access for US citizens receiving SS benefits but do not have a permanent US address?
    Please look into this matter. Thank you.

  9. James E.

    I’m 82 years old and are unable to be employed for ealth reasons. It would be a GREAT convenience to have an email sent me if anyone tries to use my SSN for any reason. Please advise me if that’s a possibility.

    Thank you.

  10. Lenney M.

    I can’t log in and it wouldn’t let me rest my password. NOW WHAT

    • Jessica S.

      Go to you local SS office they can set up a temporary password for you. This will give you a chance to rest you password. Hope this helps. Good luck & God bless.

Comments are closed.