Online Services

New Year’s Resolution: Get a my Social Security Account

January 4, 2016 • By

Reading Time: 2 Minutes

Last Updated: November 6, 2023

2016, silhouette of a woman standing in the sun, blue sky

The holidays are over, and a new year is upon us. Now that you have no more holiday parties to attend or gifts to buy, you’re probably kicking off the New Year with your resolutions to improve your life.

With a healthy, new you in mind, you got a shiny new gym membership and revamped your grocery list to add more vegetables. You made resolutions to better manage your finances and to finally start planning for your long-term financial security, which you’ve been putting off because you didn’t know where to start. Now is the perfect time of year to do a financial planning checkup. And what’s more, we can tell you the best place to start.

We have a solution that is easy, convenient, and secure; sign up for a personal my Social Security  account. You can do so from the comfort of your own home, office, or any preferred location. It only takes a few minutes, and once you see all the benefits of having an account, you will be so glad you followed through with this resolution.

If you’re still working, you can use your my Social Security  account to access your Social Security Statement to keep track of your earnings and verify them every year. You can review the estimated Social Security and Medicare taxes you paid.

You can also get a benefit verification letter stating that you never received benefits, received benefits in the past, or a letter stating that you applied for benefits, but your claim hasn’t been approved. If you’re currently receiving benefits, you can use your my Social Security account to get a letter stating your benefits, and to check your benefit and payment information. You can also change your address or telephone number, start or change your direct deposit, and get a replacement SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S.  And now, in several states, many can get a replacement Social Security card!

Managing your information has never been easier.

Sign up for a my Social Security  account today and cross this resolution off your list. You’ll be so glad you started the New Year right by taking these easy steps to have a better financial future.

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: , , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Doug Walker, Deputy Commissioner, Communications

Deputy Commissioner, Office of Communications


  1. Jennifer C.

    I want to make a account I’m my son payee how do I do this

  2. Jennifer C.

    I want a account but I can’t it won’t let me I’m my son payee how do I do it

  3. Janice

    I have a credit freeze so I cannot open a SS account online unless I unfreeze. It costs money to unfreeze, so could someone please tell me which credit bureau is used by SSA so I can just unfreeze that one?

  4. RUTH


    • Ray F.

      Thank you for using our blog to communicate with us, Ruth. The “my Social Security” authentication system requires address verification as one of the essential criteria for issuing an account. People with APO/FPO/DPO addresses can create an account overseas, but our system does not support registration and account creation for users with a foreign address yet. For assistance related to Social Security benefits, please contact your local U.S. embassy or consulate. Or you can use the Canadian Service Area Directory to determine which Resident Office is near you. Also, our Office of International Operations home page provides more information to assist our customers living abroad. Keep in mind that even though you need a U.S. address to register for a my Social Security account, you do not need a U.S. address to access our website or to file online for benefits. We hope this helps!

  5. Mike

    I have a credit freeze and cannot open a ‘My Social Security’ account on line. It directed me to the local SSA office. However, looking at various comments and after much searching the site for specific info, Im not sure this is can actually be done. I would appreciate verification an account can actually be set up in person with a freeze in place and what documents are needed at the office? Thank you!

    • Ray F.

      We apologize for the inconvenience, but you’re right Mike, you cannot create a my Social Security account online if you have a security freeze, fraud alert, or both on your credit report. You can still create an account without removing the security freeze or fraud alert, but you will have to visit your local Social Security office. You will need to provide proper identification. We prefer a government issued document with your picture, as proof of identity (driver’s license, passport, etc.) Hope this helps!

  6. Tamara V.

    I have been trying to set up an account in My Social Security, but the system can’t verify my details. I called the helpline and was advised to visit my local office (30 miles away). I did this on Thursday February 23rd, and they told me that the problem had been fixed. I have just tried to set up my account online and get the same message that my information could not be verified. What do I do now?

    • Ray F.

      Hi Tamara. We are sorry to hear of the inconveniences that you’re having while trying to set up your personal my Social Security account. Unfortunately, we do not have the capability to help you in this forum. In addition to ask you to visit our Frequently Asked Questions web page, we recommend that you –again– contact our “Help Desk”. Our representatives should be able to give you further instructions. We appreciate your understanding and thank you for using our services online. Please call 1-800-772-1213 for assistance. After you hear “Briefly tell me why you are calling,” say “Help Desk” for help with a my Social Security account.

  7. Corina P.

    My dad is 92 years old. He has dementia and Alzheimer’s. I am his power of attorney. I need to do his taxes soon. He did not get his 1099 from SSA. He lives in San Francisco and I live in
    Sacramento. Can I create an SSA account as POA? I

  8. Riez

    Hi, I tried to sign up with the My Social Security, but after filling in my information and on the second step where there is a Mortgage/ questions about debts, it popped up that it can’t verify my record. Is it because I do not have any loan or mortgage?

    • Ray F.

      Hello Riez. If you are having difficulties with your personal my Social Security account, please call 1-800-772-1213 for assistance. After you hear “Briefly tell me why you are calling,” say “Help Desk” for help with a my Social Security account. Sometimes, it might be best to visit your local Social Security office for further assistance. Thanks!

  9. Renee

    The website let’s me sign in and check the I understand box but then the page goes to sorry and blank afterwards. What’s wrong?

    • Ray F.

      Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention Renee. We’ve checked and the site appears to be up and running. Please try again. If you’re still having problems, please call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 for assistance. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.

  10. Crystal

    My son recently turned 18 and is in need of a replacement Social Security Card. I recently set up an account for myself and ordered a replacement card for myself so I new how easy the process is to get a replacement online. I really don’t want to have to mail in original documents and hope I get them back or go to my nearest Social Security Office because it’s not very close to me. Anyway, so I want to create him an account with Social Security but after I put in all the info ( name, ss#, address, date of birth) and click next a message comes up that some of the info is not correct and to correct it. All the info is correct But after 3 times it locks me out for 24hrs. I have been locked out twice. I am wondering if it is because he has never had a job or anything, therefore it has no record of him or if someone may have tried to set up an account already under his name in am attemp to get a card? If I call can they just reset his account up for me so I can do the social security application online still?

    • Jenna Y.

      Hi Crystal. Thanks for your inquiry. You can only create a my Social Security account using your own personal information and for your own exclusive use. You cannot create or use an account on behalf of another person, even if you have that person’s written permission. You can never share the use of your account with anyone else under any circumstances. Your son can call our Help Desk at 1-800-772-1213 for assistance. After he hears “Briefly tell me why you are calling,” please have him say “Help Desk” for help with his my Social Security account. In some cases, it’s best to visit your local office for further assistance. Good luck!

Comments are closed.