Online Services, SSI

Five Things You Can Do Online with Social Security

November 16, 2015 • By

Reading Time: 2 Minutes

Last Updated: November 6, 2023

smiling woman sitting on her couchYou want to enjoy the fall weather, and Social Security’s online services free up your time to lounge in a hammock in your backyard or take your dog on a long walk. You can safely and conveniently conduct most of your business with us anytime, anywhere. There’s no need to visit a local Social Security office.

When you’re ready to retire, you can do it online in 15 minutes or less. In most cases, once your application is submitted electronically, you’re done. There are no forms to sign and usually no documentation is required. Social Security will process your application and contact you if any further information is needed.

Applying for Social Security disability benefits has never been easier! The secure site will only ask questions pertaining to your situation, and we provide links to more information. There are examples to help you along the way.

With a my Social Security account, you can also get your Social Security Statement showing how much you paid in Social Security and Medicare taxes through your working years. You can use your Statement to verify your earnings history so that you receive the correct payment amount when you become eligible for benefits. And speaking of your future benefits, your Statement also shows estimates for retirement, disability, and survivors’ benefits.

And, when you need it, you can get a benefit verification letter to prove you receive Social Security benefits, Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Medicare. Your personal my Social Security  account also allows you to change your address if you’re already receiving benefits, and to start or change your direct deposit information.

You have all that at your fingertips, and you never had to leave your hammock!

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Jim Borland, Assistant Deputy Commissioner, Communications

Jim Borland, Assistant Deputy Commissioner, Communications


  1. Ann T.

    The awards letter is no longer called an Award Letter. Just information about your Social Security will be the letter that I would need to show to whom ever needs this information.

  2. Steven P.

    Can I make an appointment to come into my local branch office to speak to someone about Medicare? I need help with choosing the correct package and I have a few questions that require an answer in person. I really need some guidance about my many options.
    Thank You.

    • Ray F.

      Hello Steven. The Medicare program is managed by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS). Social Security works with CMS by enrolling people in Medicare.
      To get information on when you can sign up for or change your Medicare coverage, visit This information includes your Medicare Advantage Plan (Part C) or Medicare Prescription Drug Coverage (Part D).
      We hope this information helps!

  3. Shuchen H.

    Can I have a appointment with anyone from Brea social security office in Orange county California?

  4. Steven P.

    I have a question. Does anyone know how I go about getting an advocate to assist me in obtaining disability benefits after being denied several times?
    My sister is receiving disability benefits for OCD and Bi-Polar disorder and when talking with her she suggested that i get an advocate to help me get benefits.

    She lives in S.F., California and I live in Las Vegas NV. and I don’t know if their is an advocacy program here in NV. Does anyone know how I get in touch with such a program? My email is Thank you.

  5. Linda W.

    Having trouble trying to get set up for my benefits at age 70. Currently getting benefits from my ex husband but want to switch over to my benefits – can’t seem to find the “spot” to do this online

    • Vonda V.

      Hi Linda. You can apply for your retirement benefits four months before you want your benefits to start. When you are ready to apply, use our online retirement application, the quickest, easiest, and most convenient way to apply.

      If you are unable to file online or do not want to file online, please call 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. to make an appointment.

  6. Brad D.

    Can I make an appointment on line?

  7. Christopher S.

    I would like to sell some of my paintings online so how much beyond the 11,100 that I get for SSDI without special guidelines.

    • Vonda V.

      Hi Christopher: See our Frequently Asked Questions web page on how you can work while receiving Social Security disability benefits.

  8. Stephanie S.

    I have opened a My SSA in my name Stephanie Scarlino and SS Number. I am able to go online in my account.
    My husband opened an account in his name Victor Scarlino with his SS Number. When he tries to go on his account he is unable to. We use the same email account. Only have one account. The message says they can’t find his account and the email is in use. This is really upsetting. We are trying to get him a Medicare card for part A. If he goes to our local SS office does he need to make an appointment?

    • Vonda V.

      Hi Stephanie, thanks for using our blog. Sorry to hear your husband’s having difficulties creating or accessing his my Social Security account. If a family shares an email address, each person should be able to establish his or her own my Social Security account by listing the common email address. There is no registration exclusion related to email addresses.

      For assistance with his account and to request a replacement Medicare card, he may:
      •Call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. At the voice prompt, say “helpdesk”; or
      •Contact your local Social Security office.

  9. Candie A.

    How do I get a copy of my name change when i married years ago?? I am going to attend college and they neef some paper showing my official name change.

  10. Donald N.

    my birthday day is incorrect as medicare advises it is October 26, 1941 and correct day is October 25, 1941
    medicare said to call you and did several times but change not made yet

    • Ray F.

      Hello Donald. You will need to speak to a Social Security representative.
      For assistance or to make an appointment with your local office, call 1-800-772-1213, Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Generally, you will have a shorter wait time if you call later during the day or later in the week. Thanks!

Comments are closed.