Online Services, SSI

Five Things You Can Do Online with Social Security

November 16, 2015 • By

Reading Time: 2 Minutes

Last Updated: November 6, 2023

smiling woman sitting on her couchYou want to enjoy the fall weather, and Social Security’s online services free up your time to lounge in a hammock in your backyard or take your dog on a long walk. You can safely and conveniently conduct most of your business with us anytime, anywhere. There’s no need to visit a local Social Security office.

When you’re ready to retire, you can do it online in 15 minutes or less. In most cases, once your application is submitted electronically, you’re done. There are no forms to sign and usually no documentation is required. Social Security will process your application and contact you if any further information is needed.

Applying for Social Security disability benefits has never been easier! The secure site will only ask questions pertaining to your situation, and we provide links to more information. There are examples to help you along the way.

With a my Social Security account, you can also get your Social Security Statement showing how much you paid in Social Security and Medicare taxes through your working years. You can use your Statement to verify your earnings history so that you receive the correct payment amount when you become eligible for benefits. And speaking of your future benefits, your Statement also shows estimates for retirement, disability, and survivors’ benefits.

And, when you need it, you can get a benefit verification letter to prove you receive Social Security benefits, Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Medicare. Your personal my Social Security  account also allows you to change your address if you’re already receiving benefits, and to start or change your direct deposit information.

You have all that at your fingertips, and you never had to leave your hammock!

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Jim Borland, Assistant Deputy Commissioner, Communications

Jim Borland, Assistant Deputy Commissioner, Communications


  1. Lorene

    My husband is on disability, I would like to start drawing Ss I’m going to be 62. I haven’t worked in a long time , can I draw off my husband and mine to recive higher payment ,r maybe draw off just my husband . My husband lost his leg and has problems with his other leg so I take care of him and I don’t work

  2. Dolores E.

    I already receive the extra help but am still paying for me and my husbands percriptions. Why?

  3. Patricia F.
    I need to change my old e-mail address to the new listed above.

  4. Mary S.

    Looking for a copy of a Reward Letter for JOHN DEVINE

    He is in a Residential Group Home for Autism

    I am one of the care takers of John
    please respond either way so I know how to get a copy
    Thank you so much Mary

  5. NORMAN T.

    I found a world of stuff except how to get my SOC sec award letter and/or 1099 for 2017 and 2018. can you send it to my email or fax. I need it to send for my home loan refinancing.

  6. Roger A.

    I applied for social security at age 62 and was paid for about 2 1/2 years. I then received a letter that stated I earned too much money so I was required to pay back every penny I received from social security. I then received a letter after I turned 66 that I was now eligible to receive social security but I was only paid my age 62 benefit amount. Why did I not receive age 66 benefits since I was not eligible until then? I spoke to a social security representative at my local office and she said I should receive age 66 benefits. Who do I speak to or write to to get my full benefits?

    • Ray F.

      Thank you for contacting us, Roger. Generally, after you reach full retirement age, we will recalculate your benefit amount to give you credit for any months in which you did not receive a benefit because of your earnings. We will send you a letter telling you about any increase in your benefit amount. See “Getting Benefits While Working“.
      To request a review of your records, you can contact your local office directly or you can write to us.

  7. Cristobal R.

    I’m applying for a job and I need to show proof of previous enmployment. From 1990 thru 2010 some years I was self employed. How can I get proof of self employment?

  8. Lazaro D.

    I just took my father in law home from the hospital due to an illness. The Social Security office just sent him a letter stating that he had received more money than he was to receive. The were errors found on the letter. I would like to be treated more human than this. Your employees should be ashamed of how they treat elders.

  9. Barbara S.

    I am in very bad health. I went to a lawyer because that’s what I thought you had to do to try to get disability. She told me since I drew a $300 retirement check I wasn’t eligible . Is this true? . I also draw Social Security. Thank you.

    • Ray F.

      We pay disability benefits through two programs: Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and the Supplemental Security Income (SSI).
      The SSI is a needs based disability program that pays benefits to people with limited income and resources who are disabled, blind, or age 65 or older.
      SSDI benefits are based on earnings and are not subject to income and resource limits. These disability benefits automatically change to retirement benefits when disability beneficiaries attain their full retirement age.
      If you have low income and limited resources, you may be able to receive benefits from both disability programs. Generally, when you apply for disability benefits, we take applications for both programs. Keep in mind that, if a person has reached his or her full retirement age and is receiving Social Security retirement, they will not be eligible for disability benefits.
      The Social Security Administration (SSA) does not require a claimant to have representation at any level. In some cases, we may provide information about legal services organizations that provide legal services free of charge (e.g., legal aid groups). The information SSA furnishes must be consistent with the basic policy that SSA is neutral with respect to encouraging or discouraging representation. SSA will not refer the claimant to a specific organization, nor can SSA determine whether a claimant qualifies for legal services free of charge. To apply for disability benefits or if you need further assistance, call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. We hope this information helps!

  10. Mary A.

    I make less than 1/2 of my husbands social security, how can I get this changed. Does he need to come to the social security office with me to get this changed

    • Ray F.

      Hi Mary. Your benefit as a spouse can be equal to one-half of your husband’s full retirement amount –only– if you start receiving those benefits at your full retirement age. If a person begins to receive benefits at age 62 or prior to their full retirement age, their benefits are reduced. The reduction factors are permanently applied to all of the benefits the person may qualify for.
      To see if you qualify for a higher benefit amount you and your husband should contact us. You can call us at 1-800-772-1213, Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Thanks!

Comments are closed.