Online Services, SSI

Five Things You Can Do Online with Social Security

November 16, 2015 • By

Last Updated: March 17, 2021

smiling woman sitting on her couchYou want to enjoy the fall weather, and Social Security’s online services free up your time to lounge in a hammock in your backyard or take your dog on a long walk. You can safely and conveniently conduct most of your business with us anytime, anywhere. There’s no need to visit a local Social Security office.

When you’re ready to retire, you can do it online in 15 minutes or less. In most cases, once your application is submitted electronically, you’re done. There are no forms to sign and usually no documentation is required. Social Security will process your application and contact you if any further information is needed.

Applying for Social Security disability benefits has never been easier! The secure site will only ask questions pertaining to your situation, and we provide links to more information. There are examples to help you along the way.

With a my Social Security account, you can also get your Social Security Statement showing how much you paid in Social Security and Medicare taxes through your working years. You can use your Statement to verify your earnings history so that you receive the correct payment amount when you become eligible for benefits. And speaking of your future benefits, your Statement also shows estimates for retirement, disability, and survivors’ benefits.

And, when you need it, you can get a benefit verification letter to prove you receive Social Security benefits, Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Medicare. Your personal my Social Security  account also allows you to change your address if you’re already receiving benefits, and to start or change your direct deposit information.

You have all that at your fingertips, and you never had to leave your hammock!

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Jim Borland, Assistant Deputy Commissioner, Communications


  1. Lana

    I am receiving social security retirement and my Part B is deducted. IRMMA Part D has not been deducted. Do I need to pay that separately? Will social security bill me for it.

  2. Ronald a.

    Ronald and Carol kinnee on March 22, 2019 at 2:46 pm said:
    I was told that after my wife starts to collect SS we could now apply for more benefits by subtracting what I receive from what she receives and get part of the difference added to mine. when we first went for this she was not collecting and we were told we have to wait.How do we apply for this now that she started collecting and has retired

  3. Ronald a.

    I was told that after my wife starts to collect SS we could now apply for more benefits by subtracting what I receive from what she receives and get part of the difference added to mine. when we first went for this she was not collecting and we were told we have to wait.How do we apply for this now that she started collecting and has retired ?

    • Vonda V.

      Hi Ron, thanks for your question. If Carol’s benefits as a spouse are higher than her own retirement benefits, she will get a combination of benefits equaling the higher spouse benefit. However, keep in mind that a spouse’s benefit cannot exceed one-half of the worker’s full retirement amount. So, Carol will only receive additional spouse’s benefits if her own full retirement benefit (not a reduced benefit) is less than half of your full retirement benefit (not what you’re actually receiving).

      Generally, during the initial interview when applying for Social Security benefits, we typically explore all other benefits that could yield you a higher benefit amount. To find out if you are eligible for a higher benefit amount, you can call us at 1-800-772-1213 between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Monday through Friday or contact your local Social security office. Thanks!

  4. Linda

    How do I change from my husbands (half) social security to mine as I turn 70 this month

    • Vonda V.

      Hi Linda. You can apply online for retirement benefits if you:
      •are at least 61 years and 9 months old;
      •are not currently receiving benefits on your own Social Security record;
      •have not already applied for retirement benefits; and
      •want your benefits to start no more than 4 months in the future. (We cannot process your application if you apply for benefits more than 4 months in advance.)

      If you need additional assistance or you need to make an appointment, please call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) . Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. or contact your local Social Security office.

  5. Dennis J.

    I would like to leave the workforce at age 58 and live off of my saving until 62. At 62 I would like to take social security. It is estimated right now I would receive approx. $1600/mo. Would that amount be effected in any way?

    • Vonda V.

      Hi Dennis, thank you for the question. A Social Security retirement benefit is calculated by using your highest 35 years of earnings. If you do not have 35 years of earnings, we will use all of the earnings on your record and factor in an annual total of $0.00 earnings for each of the remaining years.

      Social Security has an online calculator called a Retirement Estimator that provides immediate retirement benefit estimates based on your actual Social Security earnings record. Plus, it also allows you to create “what if” scenarios. You can indicate you’re going to stop work at age 58.

      See our Benefits Planner: Retirement web page for more on obtaining benefit estimates.

  6. bonnie

    why have I not received a ss statement in over 7 years? I would like to have a yearly statement.

  7. Kent C.

    Please, cancel my SSI Phone interview for Tuesday, February 5, 2019. I am no longer interested in appling for Social Security Benefits at this time. Thank you.

  8. I. S.

    I pay an IRMMA supplement for Medicare Parts B and D as calculated from my working years income. I am now retired and live on my Required Minimum Distribution Income. How do I appeal to recalculate by IRMMA supplement for Medicare Parts B and D? Thank you.

    I. Stephen Davis

  9. Michael J.

    How do I go about making an appointment on line with my local office in West Chester Pennsylvania?

    • Vonda V.

      Hello Michael. We currently do not have an online appointment scheduler. However you do not need an appointment to file for benefits or appeal a disability decision. You can file for the following benefits online:
      Medicare; and

      If you do not want to apply for benefits online, or you need to speak to us for any other reason, you can schedule, reschedule or cancel an appointment by:
      •Calling us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) between 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Friday; or
      •Contacting your local Social Security office. Thanks!

  10. Susan H.

    Desperately NEED an on-line customer service that could address issues or questions rather than having to utilize the 800 number and die on hold…..Please advise

    • Ann C.

      Good news, Susan. You can click “Get Help” in your personal my Social Security account to “Ask a Question”. Click “Talk to an Expert” for a call back. We hope this helps.

Comments are closed.