Online Services, SSI

Five Things You Can Do Online with Social Security

November 16, 2015 • By

Reading Time: 2 Minutes

Last Updated: November 6, 2023

smiling woman sitting on her couchYou want to enjoy the fall weather, and Social Security’s online services free up your time to lounge in a hammock in your backyard or take your dog on a long walk. You can safely and conveniently conduct most of your business with us anytime, anywhere. There’s no need to visit a local Social Security office.

When you’re ready to retire, you can do it online in 15 minutes or less. In most cases, once your application is submitted electronically, you’re done. There are no forms to sign and usually no documentation is required. Social Security will process your application and contact you if any further information is needed.

Applying for Social Security disability benefits has never been easier! The secure site will only ask questions pertaining to your situation, and we provide links to more information. There are examples to help you along the way.

With a my Social Security account, you can also get your Social Security Statement showing how much you paid in Social Security and Medicare taxes through your working years. You can use your Statement to verify your earnings history so that you receive the correct payment amount when you become eligible for benefits. And speaking of your future benefits, your Statement also shows estimates for retirement, disability, and survivors’ benefits.

And, when you need it, you can get a benefit verification letter to prove you receive Social Security benefits, Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Medicare. Your personal my Social Security  account also allows you to change your address if you’re already receiving benefits, and to start or change your direct deposit information.

You have all that at your fingertips, and you never had to leave your hammock!

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Jim Borland, Assistant Deputy Commissioner, Communications

Jim Borland, Assistant Deputy Commissioner, Communications


  1. kaylin m.

    hello I need to cancel any loans in my name ,in my social number.I feel like I never applied and my mom has old habits of using my social for no good . My name is kaylin m jovas I am locked out because of security questions I never made .

  2. Chunchi L.

    I am receiving my spouse’ social security now. I want to change to receive my own social security. How to make the change? Can I do it online?

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Chunchi. Please contact your local Social Security office or call us toll-free at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) between 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, to have one of our representatives schedule an appointment. Generally, you will have a shorter wait time if you call later in the day. If you are currently receiving benefits, you cannot file a new claim online. Thanks.

  3. Donna S.

    I need an original copy of my initial awards letter as soon as possible. How do I obtain one? May it be emailed?

    Donna Spicer

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Donna. For your security, we do not have access to your private information. Please contact your local Social Security office or call us toll-free at 1-800-772-1213 for assistance. Representatives are available between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., Monday through Friday but you will generally have a shorter wait time if you call later in the week. Thanks.

  4. Mary C.

    I do not need Medicare insurance at this time. I have insurance threw my husband’s employment. What do I need to do.

  5. jo g.

    MY DAUGHTER GOT A 2PER CENT INCREASE in 2017 YET i DID NOT. wHY?? mY EMAIL IS I am 88, and yes, you will give it to me this why not last year? I need all the help I can get. Merry Xmas. Jo Gillies.

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Jo. For your security, we do not have access to private information in this venue; therefore, we do not do private messaging. For some beneficiaries, their Social Security increase may be partially or completely offset by increases in Medicare premiums. The Social Security Act contains a “hold harmless” provision that protects most beneficiaries. The amount of the benefit will stay the same even though the Medicare Part B premium increases. For specific questions regarding your benefits, contact your local Social Security office. Just a reminder – please be cautious about posting personal information on social media. Thanks.

  6. James G.

    I’m trying to get information on home health care assistance or eight

    • Vonda V.

      Thanks for your question, James. We do not have information on home health care assistance. However, you may want to check with your state’s social services. These services could include free meals, housekeeping help, transportation, or help with other problems. You can get information about services in your area from your state or local social services office. You can also visit the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services web page for more information. Thanks.

  7. Lawrence W.

    I don’t believe I have yet received my 2019 IRMMA award letter, but to receive reimbursement from my former employer I must provide a copy of it by January 5, 2019.
    Please send it ASAP.. My SS is 150225546

  8. Kathleen A.

    I would like to cancel my phone appointment with social security to sign up for medicare, because I used the online service.
    How do I cancel my appointment?
    thank you,
    Kathleen Azevedo

  9. Kelly

    Can I make an appt. On line

    • Ray F.

      Hello Kelly. We currently do not have an online appointment scheduler. However you do not need an appointment to file for benefits or appeal a disability decision. You can file for the following benefits online:
      Medicare; and
      If you do not want to apply for benefits online, or you need to speak to us for any other reason, you can schedule, reschedule or cancel an appointment by:
      •Calling us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) between 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Friday; or
      •Contacting your local Social Security office. Thanks!

  10. Dave

    When will Irma adjustment letters be sent out?

Comments are closed.