Online Services, SSI

Five Things You Can Do Online with Social Security

November 16, 2015 • By

Reading Time: 2 Minutes

Last Updated: November 6, 2023

smiling woman sitting on her couchYou want to enjoy the fall weather, and Social Security’s online services free up your time to lounge in a hammock in your backyard or take your dog on a long walk. You can safely and conveniently conduct most of your business with us anytime, anywhere. There’s no need to visit a local Social Security office.

When you’re ready to retire, you can do it online in 15 minutes or less. In most cases, once your application is submitted electronically, you’re done. There are no forms to sign and usually no documentation is required. Social Security will process your application and contact you if any further information is needed.

Applying for Social Security disability benefits has never been easier! The secure site will only ask questions pertaining to your situation, and we provide links to more information. There are examples to help you along the way.

With a my Social Security account, you can also get your Social Security Statement showing how much you paid in Social Security and Medicare taxes through your working years. You can use your Statement to verify your earnings history so that you receive the correct payment amount when you become eligible for benefits. And speaking of your future benefits, your Statement also shows estimates for retirement, disability, and survivors’ benefits.

And, when you need it, you can get a benefit verification letter to prove you receive Social Security benefits, Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Medicare. Your personal my Social Security  account also allows you to change your address if you’re already receiving benefits, and to start or change your direct deposit information.

You have all that at your fingertips, and you never had to leave your hammock!

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Jim Borland, Assistant Deputy Commissioner, Communications

Jim Borland, Assistant Deputy Commissioner, Communications


  1. Noma R.

    I want to change my monthly income amount to my late husbands. He passed on 7/4/18

  2. JOAN C.

    I need to change my address and am unable to do so. please inform me if I either have to go to my local social ss office or can I do it on line

    • Ray F.

      Hello Joan. If you get Social Security benefits (retirement, survivors, or disability) or are enrolled in Medicare, you can change your address online by using a my Social Security account. Thanks!

  3. Cheryl A.

    I think it is unfair when people getting SS I checks don’t get a raise due to Medicare going up. This is no help to us and DOES NOT make us happy. We need a good raise this year that is not gobbled up by Medicare premiums going up enough to screw us out of a raise.

  4. caye m.

    Does disability social security automatically switch to regular social security when you turn 65

    • Ray F.

      Social Security disability benefits automatically change to retirement benefits when disability beneficiaries attain their full retirement age (full retirement age was 65 for many years).
      Benefits are not interrupted with this transition and the benefit amount will generally remains the same. Thanks!

  5. Kacey P.

    I need to get a reward letter for my mother. How do I do that? She has been receiving her payments regularly for awhile. Thanks

  6. William L.

    I am looking for the street address to return my Form HCFA 1763, Request for Termination of Premium Hospital and/or Supplementary Medical Insurance (Part B) and cannot for the life of me find it in all the Social Security Administration web sites. Thank You for your help.

    • Ray F.

      Hello William. Our policy requires a personal interview be conducted with everyone who wants to terminate their Medicare Part B benefits. Representatives at your local Social Security office will help you submit the required Form CMS-1763, “Request for Termination of Premium Hospital and /or Supplementary Medical Insurance”. However, we need to speak to you personally before we terminate your Medicare benefits to be sure that you fully understand the consequences of doing so.
      To make an appointment, call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Generally, you will have a shorter wait time when calling later during the day or later in the week. Thanks!

  7. Eugene C.

    I need to change my mailing address.
    The last four digits of my SS# 0228

    • Ray F.

      Hello Eugene, if you get Social Security benefits (retirement, survivors, or disability) or are enrolled in Medicare, you can change your address online by using a my Social Security account. Thanks!

  8. Elemina S.

    I made an error on the date of the Tendonitis in my right shoulder which was in the summer of 2015.

    • Ray F.

      Hello Elemina. To add new medical evidence or a medical source to your pending claim, you can mail or take the information to your local Social Security office. Thanks!

  9. shizuyo c.

    I did nor get the new social security card. I am 71 yrs old I should get new social security card without social security numbers.

    • Ray F.

      Hello! You must be referring to the new Medicare cards: “Social Security Numbers (SSNs) will be removed from all Medicare cards“.
      To learn more visit .

  10. Carol A.

    Need to change my name due to marriage. What do I do?

    • Ray F.

      Hello Carol. In order to change your name on your Social Security card, you must show us a document that proves your legal name change. In your case, your marriage certificate and valid ID card may be sufficient.
      Any document you submit, must be an original or certified copy, current (not expired) and show your name, and other identifying information (date of birth or age).
      To learn more on the process and what documents you will need to get a card, please visit our “Social Security Number and Card” web page.
      When ready, you can take or mail your application and (original or certified copies) documents to the nearest Social Security office or Card Center in your area.
      Please call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 if you need further assistance. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Or contact your local Social Security office directly. Thanks!

Comments are closed.