Online Services, SSI

Why It’s Important to Report Life Changes to Us

July 28, 2022 • By

Reading Time: 2 Minutes

Last Updated: November 2, 2023

couple reviewing information using laptop

Did you know that certain life changes can affect your Supplemental Security Income (SSI) payments? Sometimes your circumstances may change after you apply for or begin to receive SSI. When that happens, it’s important for you to tell us about these changes. This will ensure that you receive the benefits to which you’re eligible.

Types of Changes to Report if You Have Applied for or Receive SSI

When you apply for or get SSI, you must tell us about certain changes. You must also tell us about changes for your spouse if you are married and living together, and parents if applying for a child. Common changes you must report to us include:

  • Change in income.
  • Change in resources (including bank accounts, vehicles, or property).
  • Change in employment (i.e., starting, stopping, or changing jobs).
  • Change in your address or persons moving in or out of the household.
  • Entering or exiting a nursing home.
  • Entering or exiting a correctional institution (i.e., jail or prison).
  • Change in U.S. citizenship or lawful non-citizen status.
  • Change in marital status.

For a complete list of SSI reporting responsibilities, please read the following publication:

How to Report Changes in Wages

You can conveniently report your wages using our:

Be sure to sign up for monthly SSI wage reporting emails or text reminders. If you prefer, you may also report changes by:

Report Changes in a Timely Manner

If you do not report changes to us in a timely manner, you may be underpaid and not receive the amount due as quickly or be overpaid and have to pay us back.

The SSI program may apply a penalty that will reduce your benefits if you fail to report a change. You may also be penalized if you report the change later than 10 days after the end of the month in which the change occurred or lose SSI for not reporting the information we use to determine eligibility for payments.

Securing today and tomorrow starts with being informed. Please share this information with your friends and family—and post it on social media.

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: , , , , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Dawn Bystry, Associate Commissioner, Office of Strategic and Digital Communications

Deputy Associate Commissioner, Office of Strategic and Digital Communications


  1. Camille R.

    My son was receiving SSI and passed away October 30. What number do I call to notify social security of this change? How do I return the money that was direct deposited on November 1 into his bank account?

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Camille. We are sorry to hear about your loss. Typically, the funeral director notifies us directly to report a death. As far as the payment, in some instances, the financial institution will automatically return payments upon notification of the beneficiary’s death. To verify, you can contact your local Social Security office for assistance. We hope this helps. 

  2. Kathleen G.

    Hey I am on SSI and SSDI I think I was wondering how much I can make with out having my social security dropped? Please let me know as soon as possible thank you.

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Kathleen. For information about working temporarily without losing monthly Social Security disability or SSI benefits, check out our publication, Working while Disabled- How We Can Help. For specific questions, you can call us at 1-800-772-1213, Monday through Friday, between 8:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m., for assistance. You can also contact your local Social Security office. We hope this helps.

  3. Dan. C.

    I am receiving only SSDI, if I sell my home do I need to report it? Are there any penalties if I do?

  4. Dan C.

    I’m on SSDI and own my home which is falling apart. I am barely able to pay bills and put food on the table let alone fix things on the house. Am I able to sell my home? Will it affect my monthly payment if I sell? I don’t receive SSI just SSDI.

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Dan. There is no resource limit for individuals receiving Social Security Disability. If you are referring to the Supplement Security Income (SSI) resource limit, the limit is $2000.  Resources are the things you own such as cash, real estate, personal belongings, bank accounts, stocks and bonds that you can use for your support. However, not all of your resources count toward the SSI resource limit. For more information on SSI resources, visit here. We hope this helps!

  5. Paul D.

    I have relocated back to the USA from living abroad. How do I get part B and D Medicare coverage ?

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Paul. Thanks for your question.  Typically, if you apply after age 65, you can sign up only during the general enrollment period (GEP).The GEP lasts from January 1 through March 31. Most people who sign up for Part B during the GEP will have a 10 percent increase in monthly premiums for each 12-month period they were not enrolled, but were eligible.  However, if you are still working and covered under a group health plan based on that employment, she may not need to file for Medicare part B until you stop working or drop your health care coverage. For specific questions, you can call 1-800-772-1213, Monday-Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. and ask a representative to assist you, or you can contact your local office. For more information about signing up for Medicare Part B, please visit our Medicare Benefits page. You can also find information about Medicare Part D, here. Hopes this helps! 

    • Donna a.

      Hi my name is Donna Seipel and I’m 60 years old and been on SSI since 2018 and can’t even afford a place to live cause al the money I get it takes all my money then I have nothing left and not able to work at all I have no support and I have no family my son passed away 3 years ago my mom and dad and my sisters are all gone I have no one I don’t know what to do anymore I’m very very upset

      • Ann C.

        Hi, Donna. We are sorry to hear about your loss and your situation. You may be eligible to receive social services from the state in which you live. These services include free meals, housekeeping help, transportation, or help with other problems. To get information about services in your area and find out if you qualify, you will need to contact your state or local social services or welfare office. We hope this helps

  6. John C.

    I am retired on Social Security but recently had a stroke with hemiparesis, and osteopenia, fractured lumbar vertebrae, and lumbar collapse. I’ve had Brittle Type 1 Diabetes 52 years. Do any of these conditions qualify for SSI if a retired? How do I report these health changes.

    • Ann C.

      Hi, John We are sorry to hear about your condition. We pay disability benefits to people under their full retirement age who are unable to work because of a medical condition that is expected to last one year or more or end in death. Once people reach full retirement age, we pay them their retirement benefits.  If you are under your full retirement age, you can file for disability benefits. We hope this helps. 

  7. Mark M.

    Is it required to report getting married if the wife’s name is not changed?

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Mark. Thanks for your question. Changing one’s name is a personal decision. When an individual marries, they are free to keep their own name or take their spouse’s name. There is no time limit or requirement for a name change after marriage. However,  if they do decide to change their name on their Social Security card, they must complete an application for a new Social Security card and show us a document that proves their legal name change. For more information, please visit our Frequently Asked Questions. We hope this helps. 

      • Mark M.

        So the answer is “no” – it is not required to notify SSI of a change in maritial staus unless there’s a nme change?

        • Ann C.

          Hi, Mark. We apologize for any confusion. If you receive retirement or Social Security disability insurance (SSDI) benefits, your marriage will not affect your benefit. If you are receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI), widow or widower’s benefits, your marriage may affect your benefit. To learn more about how marriage affects benefits, visit our Frequently Asked Questions. We hope this helps.

          • Mark M.

            Let’s try this one more time:

            Is it required to report getting married if the wife’s name is not changed?

            The answer either “yes” or “no.”

        • Raulito B.

          Hi I like to ask my life is change alot since I was bully from my work. I am serious because It’s not fair for me or anyone and i am looking for a recovery.

  8. Kaylie d.

    How long after u give your change before they reinstate? Haven’t gotten my sons check since feb 2022. I changed it with ssi and the usps

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Kaylie. Thanks for visiting our blog. For your security, we do not have access to private information in this venue. We encourage you to work with your local Social Security office for assistance. We hope this helps.

  9. indie

    I registered a user and password before 9/21…can I just use my user name and password to get to my account .indiewod

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Indie. Thanks for your question. If you created a my Social Security account before September 18, 2021, go here and click on “Sign In” where you enter your username and password. We hope this helps. 

  10. Sandra M.

    They went up on my rent and I am in the hole. I don’t have enough money for rent and I am looking at eviction. With no family and being alone I am hurting so bad to think I lose everything and be walking street.

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Sandra. We are sorry to hear about your situation. You may be eligible to receive social services from the state in which you live. These services include free meals, housekeeping help, transportation, or help with other problems. To get information about services in your area and find out if you qualify, you will need to contact your state or local social services or welfare office. We hope this helps.

    • Kraig L.

      My name is kraig Lee mincey xxxxxxxxx and I had a change in employment I worked for ranews in Barnesville ga. Lamar

      • Ann C.

        Hi, Kraig. Thanks for visiting our blog. You can report your wages online using your personal my Social Security account if you receive Social Security Disability (SSDI) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI)? For more information, visit here.  Just a reminder – please be cautious about posting personal information on social media. We hope this helps. 

        • Ray

          The Wage reporting tool does not work in SS “My Account” page. I keep getting a message stating does not work, so I mail my paychecks in every month as I am disabled, work part time and Receive SSI Disability and they adjust my payments accordingly every month.

Comments are closed.