Online Services

What Your Grandchild Can Teach You About Social Security

May 25, 2017 • By

Reading Time: 2 Minutes

Last Updated: November 3, 2023

grandkidsIf using the internet feels like a challenge, let your grandchild be your guide. You’ll get your business done online, and they’ll be proud to have helped their grandparent. Take advantage of your grandchild’s computer skills and navigate Social Security’s website together!

Once your grandchild has explained the basics of going online, you can use our website to find information and services for everything from benefit planning, to filing online, to replacing your lost Medicare card.

Open your own personal my Social Security account for easy access to benefit estimates. Your grandchild can help you navigate to our website to set one up. You can use our Retirement Benefits page to learn if you’re eligible for benefits, eligibility requirements, payment rates, and other rules about receiving each type of benefit. And when you are ready to file for retirement or disability benefits, you can do it online! To apply for survivors benefits, you or your family will need to contact us by phone or visit an office.

Once you’re receiving benefits and have an account, you can continue to do business with us online with your personal my Social Security account. You can get a benefit verification letter, change your address or phone number, start or change direct deposit, get a replacement SSA-1099 for tax purposes, or check your benefits. In the District of Columbia and many states, you may be able to request a replacement Social Security card online. With the time you save by using our online services, you’ll have more to spend with your grandchild!

Make a date with your grandchild to visit our website together.

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications


  1. app p.

    Your article was very informative and great. And I hope to see your next article very soon.
    You can also visit
    app promotion services

  2. Laura H.

    How do you obtain a replacement card for your child?

  3. Lynette H.

    You need to use some black people in your advertising. I see Caucasian. Asian and Hispanics.

  4. David B.

    I need an actual mailing address {not a PO Box} to send the proof of life form to you. I live in Panama and can not send it through regular mail and must send it via DHL or Fedex and they will not deliver to a Mail Box. Why is this
    so hard ? I would go to the Embassy in Panama City but they no longer deal with SS, as they moved it to Costa Rica.

    • Ray F.

      Hello David. We recommend that individuals living outside the United States contact their nearest Federal Benefits Unit (FBU), for assistance related to their Social Security benefits. If you live in Panama, you can contact the FBU in Costa Rica by phone or email. Also, our Office of International Operations home page provides more information to assist our customers living abroad. Thanks!

  5. Real M.

    Hello, I wish for to subscribe for this webpage
    to get newest updates, thus where can i do it please
    help out.
    Manchester United Hemmadräkt

  6. Hospitals &.

    Sanders, Tony J. Social Security Amendments of October 1, 2017 (in progress) HA-1-1-17

    To end poverty by 2020.

    To pay 50 million Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits by 2020.

    To repeal the Adjustment of the contribution and benefit base under Section 230 of the Social Security Act 42USC§430.

    To tax the rich the full 12.4% Old Age Survivor and Disability Insurance (OASDI) tax on all their income and earn an on-budget surplus, that affords the US Postal Service (USPS) deficit, beginning FY18.

    To hold the OASDI Trust Funds responsible for the costs of the Social Security Administration (SSA) and SSI off-budget.

    To pay 16-24 million children growing up poor in the United States SSI benefits FY18.

    To end benefit attrition with a 3% Cost of Living Adjustment (COLA) rule CY18 and every year thereafter inflation continues to run about 2.7% in the Consumer Price Index (CPI) and the Trust Fund Ratio is greater than 20% under Sec. 215(i) of the Social Security Act 42USC§415(i).

    To compensate for deprivation of SSI beneficiaries of $777 CY18 after two years of 3% COLA from $733 (2016) + 0.3% COLA = $735 (2017).

    To pay $777 mo. SSI a 5.7% COLA is needed, the Actuary promised a 2.7% COLA CY18, and must plan for 3% COLA to $777 SSI CY19 and 3% COLA every year thereafter to keep low-income social security disability and retirement benefits above the average annual 2.7% CPI.

    To change the due date from April 1 fool’s day to June 20-21 summer solstice and include information on both OASDI Trust Funds and SSI Program in the Annual Reports under Sec. 1161 of Title 11 of the Social Security Act 42USC§1320c-10.

    To guide the Actuary, the 2017 Annual Report is tardy, has not held the 3% COLA holy to offend the intellectually disabled with the 42-month limit on $600-699 mo. (Revelation 13:10), is wanted for arson by Smokey the bear, compensation by Palestine Supreme Court and has depleted the DI trust fund with a Congressional guessing game on how to calculate the OASDI tax revenues right before post-Baby Boomer spending stabilizes at 2.2% DI 10.2% OASI = 12.4% OASDI CY 18.

    To adjust the DI tax rate from 1.80% CY15, to 2.37% CY16-CY87 under the Bipartisan Budget Act of 2015, to 2.20% CY 19 and thereafter.

    To increase the 0.9% DI tax in 2015 to 1.1% DI tax for employee and employer CY19 under Sec. 201(b)(1)(S) of the Social Security Act 42USC§401.

    To adjust the actual OASI tax rate from 10.60% in 2015, to 10.20% in 2018 and thereafter to prevent the DI fund from being depleted and OASI Trust Fund from premature deficit. To decrease the 5.30% OASI tax CY15 to 5.10% CY19, for employee and employer.

    To adjust the OASDI tax rates without increasing the overall 12.4% OASDI tax rate under 26USC§3101 and 26USC§3111 or 15.3% OASDI and Hospital Insurance (HI) Federal Insurance Contribution Act tax-rate under 26USC§1401 or burdening Congress.

    To delete Allowances and Other Defense – Civil Programs rows from the Government Outlays by Agency Ledger (GOAL) see tables at end of .html above.

    To establish norms of 2.5% annual federal spending growth for non-welfare agency spending, 3% for COLA and growth for in-kind welfare, and 4% for cash welfare programs for a $14 – $105 billion on-budget surplus FY18.

  7. bijoy k.

    Dear sir, we have respect and your social security number has been receive before four years of this where to value from Bangladesh. name social security only but was false information because American Embassy contact but that not my accepted .thank you for regards your faithfully bijoy kumar sarker.

  8. tendaniel

    If I receive, each month, $1,300 from SS and $1,500 from my spouse’s pension, will I have to pay Federal tax? And if so, will I receive a refund from the tax? Thank you

    • Jeff


      If you are single and your income is over $25,000 or if you are married and your income is over $32,000 you would have some tax liability that would need to be paid to the IRS.

      It sounds like you are saying you receive $1,300 from SS and $1,500 from your deceased spouse’s pension.

      That is a total of $2,800 per month times 12 months a year is $33,600.

      If you are, in fact, a widow, you fall under the single income of anything over $25,000 you would owe some taxes to the IRS.

      The IRS is the authority on all tax matters, your question should be directed to them.

      You can call the IRS and ask about specific situations at 1-800-829-1040.

    • Ray F.

      Hello! Some people may have to pay federal income taxes on their Social Security benefits. This usually happens only if you have other substantial income(such as wages, self-employment, interest, dividends and other taxable income that must be reported on your tax return) . Your question is an income tax question, and you will need to contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Their toll-free number is 1-800-829-1040. We hope this information helps!

    • John

      Question is for the IRS not here, what’s with you people?

  9. h s.

    you would have had the disability before you turned 19to be covered under your father’s account.

    • Jeff


      He would have had to been found disabled under Social Security’s rules before the age of 22 years old. NOT 19 years old.

      William, if you see this, you should call the Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 and request an appointment to file to get Disabled Adult Child benefits off of your father.

      Only a claims representative can make a determination whether you can get benefits off of your father’s record or not.

      I suggest you file an application to find out.

      • Ray F.

        You’re right Jeff! An adult disabled before age 22 may be eligible for child’s benefits if a parent is deceased or starts receiving retirement or disability benefits. We consider this a “child’s” benefit because it is paid on a parent’s Social Security earnings record. See “Benefits For A Disabled Child”.

  10. William J.

    Hello, I am currently on social security disability and my father that passed away on April 5th 2008 , was 100% disabled from injuries suffered on Iwojima in WW2. I’m wondering if I’m eligible for any benefits, for me being his son . My mother receives a check from the Veterans administration, but I’m wondering because I’m his son if that would make me eligible for any other benefits that I might be able to receive. I heard from my local social security administration that I could or might be eligible for any benefits. Thankyou

    • SSAvenger

      I think that’s a question for the VA

    • Ray F.

      Hi, William. Thank you for your question. An adult who became disabled before age 22 may be able to receive Social Security benefits on a deceased parent’s record. To learn more, visit our Disability Planner web page and see the section, “Adults Disabled Before Age 22”. Keep in mind, that while is possible for a person to be eligible to more than one benefit at the same time, we can only pay the highest benefit amount from either record. To see if you qualify for a higher benefit than what you are currently receiving, you’ll need to contact your local office or you may call our toll free telephone number at 1-800-772-1213 and speak to one of our agents for further assistance. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. For questions related to benefits from the Veteran’s Administration, you will have to contact them directly. We hope this helps.

      • AKA

        When you applied for disability that application covered any and all benefits, so the above suggestion is useless and a wild goose chase.

        • Chris

          You are ridiculous AKA. It isn’t going to hurt for him to inquire with SSA. Having worked within SSA I can tell you that I discovered instances where we had failed to develop someone’s eligibility for all benefits and made that correction. He also needs to check with the VA for any benefits he may be eligible for. As you are NOT in a position to make his determination it is best you move on with your day AKA

Comments are closed.