Need to Change Your Name on Your Social Security Card?

social security card Are you changing your name? If so, let Social Security know so we can update your information, send you a corrected card, and make sure you get the benefits you’ve earned.

To change your name on your card, you must show us documents proving your legal name change and identity. If you are a U.S. citizen, you also must show us a document proving your U.S. citizenship, if it is not already in our records. You must present original documents or copies certified by the agency that issued them. We can’t accept photocopies or notarized copies.

To prove your legal name change, you must show one of the following documents:

  • Marriage document;
  • Divorce decree;
  • Certificate of naturalization showing a new name; or
  • Court order for a name change.

To prove your identity, you must show an unexpired document showing your name, identifying information, and photograph, such as one of the following:

  • U.S. driver’s license;
  • State-issued non-driver’s identification card; or
  • U.S. passport.

If you don’t have one of those documents available, we may be able to accept your:

  • Employer identification card;
  • School identification card;
  • Health insurance card; or
  • U.S. military identification card.

To prove your U.S. citizenship, you must show one of the following documents:

  • U.S. birth certificate;
  • U.S. Consular Report of Birth Abroad;
  • U.S. passport (unexpired);
  • Certificate of Naturalization; or
  • Certificate of Citizenship.

Whatever your reason for your name change, Social Security is here to help you with the new… you! Fill out the form online and follow the instructions to ensure your Social Security card is delivered in a timely manner. You can also locate your local field office so you can apply for your updated card and show your required documents in person.

For complete instructions, visit our website, which includes information for non-citizens. And remember, if you simply need to replace a lost Social Security card, but don’t need to change your name, you can — in most states — request your replacement card online using your my Social Security account.


48 thoughts on “Need to Change Your Name on Your Social Security Card?

  1. My name is correct on my SS card but I do not understand why the same name does not appear on my Medicare card. I have always gone by my middle name and now it creates issues with my private insurance which uses my middle name and my Medicare card which has my first name and middle initial

  2. With the passing of my husband following 64 years of marriage I have found social security if a rip off for the living spouse. Due to my woring at various ties during our life I was drawing on my Social Security as that was
    how I was adise at the time and my hsband drw on his
    but at his passing I still had to draw on mine and they gave me a percentage of his which has left in a low income. I feel I was given a low percentage as he had worked all his life. He started working at s14 and his life ended at age 88. Also, it is unfair that a person can be married several times (10 years to each person) and at his/her retirement they all get a share while those of us are married to one person all our lives we get a nothing accomplishing a good wholesome life.

  3. Good morning, it’s Wed. 7:48 am, NZ time, Yes I am waiting for such a long time to find real people to help me catch, who took my identity stolen my documents, but I am the “ORIGINAL” person who got married at Miami/Fla. since 1981 and I work at Hiahleah Factory but they closed the factory already and I did not get anything. That’s why I got my US Soc. Sec. Card lifetime number and I never change my name, fighting for my right to find out who is using my name there. My ex-husband pass-away already and I have his “Death Cert. He signed for my Naturalization/and he left me his US DD214 documents and US Passport for my son.But I do not know what happened to my US Passport that was approved and he hide it so that I can not go traveling that’s what I know.But I have old documents about Naturalization. I don’t have copy of my Divorce paper but I am registered this year we find at registration system and I have it here. I also have the “Original Cert. of Eligibility for Housing and I never used it yet.OK please let me know if you can cooperate w/me who are using my identity.Right now me and my two son’s stay in NZ Permanently and we are sponsored by the old man partner of my eldest siter Elena Dulay but He also pass-away. Thank you.

  4. ever since I remarried and changed my name I have had trouble getting into my account. Do I need to go to the local SS office to have my account transferred over to my new name? Your guidance is appreciated

  5. Change of Address:
    Marlene Epps-Curry, 8800 NE 82nd St. #171, Kansas City, MO. 64158; (816)883-8588(DOB) 02/09/1939
    (SS#*** – ** – ***)
    0ld address was: 12200 E. 56th Terrace, Kansas City, MO, 64133

  6. I believe this process to be bias and borderline immigration profiling, I received mail delivered to me by the United States mail service and by Social Security since my employment of 30 plus years documents me as a US citizen….this mail has been delivered to my residence, as I approached retirement age, and demonstrates my employment history!! Any barriers to retirement should be an illegal process, my taxes were taking from me through my employment and with each and every employment. As a Native of the United States it saddens me to even receive documentation GENERALIZED mail due to my surname, last or married.

  7. My name has been Jo Ellen Janson for years, When I married Keith Wills, I changed my name to Jo Ellen Janson Wills.

    My name when I was born it was Jo Ellen Janson in 1954. Jo is my first name, Ellen is my middle name, and Janson is my last name.

    I added my husbands name when I was married to my last name.

    At some time Social Security changed my name. I don’t know who did this, I never authorized anyone to combine my first and middle name as my first name. I need someone to look into who and why this was done. I keep arguing with my doctor to correct my name, but they say that you told them that my name was changed. They thought that you cannot accommodate a 2 letter name.

    Jo is my first name and I am really upset over this. I want my record corrected.

    • Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions web page for complete information on how to correct your name on your Social Security number/card. If you need further assistance and need to speak to one of our agents, call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213, Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Thanks!

    • If you legally change your name because of marriage, divorce, court order or any other reason, you must tell Social Security so you can get a corrected card. You cannot apply for a card online.
      There is no charge for a Social Security card. This service is free. Click here for complete instructions!


    • Hello Beverly. For complete instructions on how to correct your name on your Social Security card, please go to Social Security Number and Card. There is no charge for a Social Security card. This service is free. When ready, you can mail or take your completed application with supporting (original) documents to the nearest Social Security office or Card Center in your area.
      Typically, after we receive your application and verify your documents, you should receive your Social Security card by mail within 10 business days.
      We hope this information helps!

      • What a crock!
        When my father passed away this past July, I tried to help my mother get the widows benefits. I took their original marriage. certificate (77 years old ) the SS OFFICE . The lady simply made a copy and said nothing else was needed.
        Now she has a Medicare card and insurance card with a brand new middle initial M her Social Security card, passport, and birth certificate and CA identification show her correct middle initial as D.
        Someone at SS changed her name without any forms or application.
        Don’t you have a, “oops we screwed up, ” link or department?

  9. After hours and hours in smelly waiting rooms, people coughing on me and ignoring the NO Cell Phone signs, local bums using the rooms to keep warm, miles walked, all documents collected, my name was finally changed. Guess what???? It did not flow through to my medicare account. That still has the old name. My God, this is such a horrible experience and it’s still not over. Every time I call it’s minimum 1 1/2 hour wait.

  10. Hello,
    I recently got married and need to change my last name on my ss card. I would like to mail in the form and the documents instead of going into the office. What exactly do I need to mail if I’m already an American citizen? I need my passport and driver’s license so I don’t want to mail them in. Would copies work?



  11. I am a very wounded veteran with a problem. I do not have a social security card with the same numbers on it that i served with. The numbers were changed when I got a new card. I need to access my various accounts and I can’t with the card I have. I have brain injury and don’t know the old numbers.

  12. Same problem regarding my name change. Have received two (2) medicare cards with my old name. Please tell me how to correct this. Medicare office tells me that SOCIAL SECURITY needs to update the change. I received my new SS card with my new name, but the medicare cards reflect old name. There is no one else to contact other than going to a SS office, or calling, yes a 1 1/2 waut. Hence online. HELP to correct this PLEASE.

  13. My Social Security Card misspells my name.
    It lists me as Sammuel E Lovato

    My legal birth name is Elmo Samuel Lovato

  14. I have tried to get my name changed 4 or 5 times in the last 28 years and have always had difficulties of one thing or another. The last time SSA sent a letter which said my new card was in the mail but it never arrived. I’ve just been using my original card but my new name. Now, I’ve tried to update my driver’s license and, of course, the social security numbers don’t match. Will this be a huge hassle or a fairly easy fix when I go to the office to try to clear this up?

    • Hi Sheila. We are sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience and we understand your frustration. Our national toll-free number, 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), has representatives available Monday through Friday between 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. Our phone lines are busiest early in the week and early in the month. You will generally have a shorter wait time if you call after Tuesday, later in the day or later in the month. Or, for further assistance, call or visit your local Social Security office.

  15. On most websites, it says that in order to change your name after marriage, we must provide “proof of name change” like a marriage certificate. BUT, No where on the marriage application nor marriage certificate did it ever ask me to change my name. Nor did the Judge who performed my ceremony mention it. There was nothing ever filled out saying “I wish to change my name from ____ to ____.” So what does providing the marriage certificate do? Its signed using our current (at that time) legal name and not the assumed future name. So Is it just assumed that by getting married, that’s proof of a legal name change? Through the act of getting married, having a marriage ceremony, and obtaining a marriage certificate I’ll be able to assume a new name and tell these agencies that “I’ve changed my name”?

  16. i am sick and on oxygen and need to come in to change name since i went to a judge and got my maiden name back but my DL expired in sept.2018 and i can’t afford to get a new drivers license and then have to pay again for another dl after changing name can you use my license that expired with my birth certificate,judge;s order, my debit card i use to get my social security and will i be able to see someone soon or stand in line thank you

    • Hello Barbara. In order to change your name on your Social Security card, you must show us a document that proves your legal name change.
      To change or correct your name in your Social Security card, you will need to provide us with the court order showing the change of name.
      If the document you provide as evidence of a legal name change does not give us enough information to identify you in our records, you must show us an identity document in your old name (as shown in our records). It is the identity document (also known as your ID) that we will accept if it has expired, however, we still will need to see proof (legal document) of the name change.
      We offer the option to mail your completed application with the original or certified documents to the nearest Social Security office or Card Center in your area.
      To make an appointment and to make a request for special accommodations, you can call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 and ask one of our agents to assist you. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Thanks!

  17. If I already got my passport and DL changed with my new married name, do I have to still bring in my marriage license to get a new card?

Leave a Reply - (comment policy)

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *