Online Services, Taxes

Tax Season — It’s About What You Know

March 17, 2016 • By

Reading Time: 2 Minutes

Last Updated: March 17, 2016

a picture of stree signs that read tax season, and again.Did you know that your Social Security benefits may be taxable?

This includes your monthly retirement, survivor, and disability benefits. About one-third of people receiving Social Security benefits must pay taxes on some of these benefits, depending on the amount of their taxable income. This may happen if you have other significant income in addition to your Social Security benefits.

To find out whether you must pay taxes on your benefits, you will need your Social Security Benefit Statement (Form SSA-1099/1042S). You should automatically receive it in the mail each January. It shows the total amount of benefits you received from Social Security in the previous year so you know how much Social Security income to report to the Internal Revenue Service on your tax return. The benefit statement is not available for people who receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI), as SSI payments are not taxable.

If you didn’t receive your Benefit Statement or misplaced it, you can get an instant replacement easily by using your secure my Social Security account. If you don’t already have an online account, you can create one in minutes. Go to the my Social Security page, and select “Sign In or Create an Account.” Once you are logged in, select the “Replacement Documents” tab to obtain your replacement 1099 or 1042S benefit statement. You can also use your personal my Social Security account to keep track of your earnings each year, manage your benefits, and more.

You can also obtain a replacement benefit statement by calling us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), or contacting your local Social Security Office. If you live outside of the United States, please contact your nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

Don’t wait. Be ready! Open your own personal my Social Security account today.

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!
See Comments

About the Author

Jim Borland, Assistant Deputy Commissioner, Communications

Jim Borland, Assistant Deputy Commissioner, Communications


  1. douglas w.

    Trying to get form W-4V (federal taxes withheld) on I searched on your website and get nothing. This should be easy to find, but is not.

  2. John R.

    Where do I send form W-4V to start Withholdings?

  3. Ronald T.

    How do we increase our tax deductions from our Social Security Benefits?

  4. Prattie M.


    • Vonda V.

      Thank you for using our blog, Prattie. To have Federal Taxes withheld from your Social Security benefits, you will need to complete Form W-4V. You can download the form or call the IRS toll-free at 1-800-829-3676 and ask for Form W-4V. When you complete the form, you can choose to have 7, 10, 12, or 22 percent of your monthly benefit withheld for taxes. See our Benefits Planner: Withholding Income Tax From Your Social Security Benefits for more information.

  5. Sylvia

    Can you please provide me with the address where I need to send a W-4V (Voluntary Withholding Request) to have taxes taken from my monthly social security benefits? Also what do I do in order to have medicare payments deducted directly from my social security benefits?

    Thank you for your time!

    • Vonda V.

      Hi Sylvia, thanks for using our blog. Use our Social Security Office Locator to obtain the address and telephone number for your local office. Medicare premiums are automatically deducted from Social Security benefits once you begin receiving benefits. We hope this helps!

  6. Vivian M.

    do we continue to pay taxes after we retire? and if not how do we reach anyone to speak to or find anything on this web site? It is not easy, especially for the older generation. thank you

  7. znvxtuvhpr


  8. Rebecca A.

    I need a W-4V to withhold federal income tax from my social security.

  9. Michael J.

    How do I change the amount of withholding on my social security account, actually need to start withholding from my wife’s payment.

  10. Yvonne H.

    It would be handy if a link to the IRS worksheet for determining taxable benefits was available on this page

Comments are closed.