Online Services

Social Security Has a Basket of Useful Offerings

June 2, 2017 • By

Reading Time: 2 Minutes

Last Updated: November 3, 2023

people enjoying a meal outsideWho doesn’t love sharing a summer picnic with friends and family? Whether you plan one for everyone on your block or a quiet afternoon for two, you’ll need to bring a basket full of delectable goodies. When you’re sharing dishes with loved ones, whether you’re at home or away, you’ll be sure to make everyone happy with a variety of treats.

In the service of securing today and tomorrow, Social Security has a full picnic basket of services. Our table is ready to serve millions of Americans online, by phone, and in person in our network of field offices. It’s easy to pick the method that’s best for you from the comfort of your home or on the go.

The quality service you expect from us is easy, secure, and convenient to access when you go online. Signing up for a personal my Social Security account will give you a secure and efficient way to interact with us and accomplish various tasks, including estimating your future benefits or managing your current benefits. You can sign up for your own account and join the more than 25 million Americans who already conduct business with us online using my Social Security.

Another way you can contact us is toll-free at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778). Of course, you can also use the Social Security Office Locator to find your local field office, where you can speak with a Social Security employee face-to-face.

What true summer picnic is complete without ice cream? When it comes to great flavors, there’s vanilla, mint, chocolate chip, rocky road … who can choose just one? Likewise, Social Security offers all the different types of benefits you’ll need at any stage of your life.

Social Security has retirement benefits and the tools to help you plan for your retirement and apply for benefits online. But that’s not all. We also provide disability benefits to individuals with medical conditions that prevent them from working. If the disabled individual has dependent family members, they can also receive payments. There are also survivors benefits for widows, widowers, and deceased workers’ dependent children. When you create your personal my Social Security account, you can view your Social Security Statement to see estimates of the future retirement, disability, and survivors benefits you and your family may be eligible to receive.

It’s a great day for a picnic! Social Security is opening up its picnic basket to share our great services and benefits, and you’re invited! Visit our website today, and we’ll save you a place.

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: , , , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications


  1. gidget

    if you are senior have been working already on retirement and become disabled is there any other benefits available

  2. Anthony G.

    My husband suspended his benefits when he was 67 and claimed spousal benefits (I was 69). He will be 70 in 2018 and wants to claim his own benefits. We believe it will be much safer if we go into the Social Security Office in January or February to arrange this, because when I originally applied for my benefits at 67, I kept a copy of everything I filed (printed out on computer), and made an appointment…The woman there said my paperwork was LOST…even though she knew things that she could not have possibly known without having seen my original on line submittal. Tony turns 70 in July of 2018. How can we verify that he will be getting his OWN benefits in July 2018? I am providing his name and email…I am his wife, Isabel L McCaughey (Schweiker) and my email is THANK YOU for your help!

  3. Angel T.

    If you are disabile and get ssi like me what is the maximum u can get


    I started receiving SSA when I reached 62 years of age. I am now receiving supplemental SSI payments.

    I worked as a Senior Aide for 4 years, they took out Medicare withholdings. The took Social Security withholdings for the last two years. When will they count this toward my SSA benefits, I am 71 years of age now. Thank you.

    • Ray F.

      Thank you for contacting us Ms. Dendy. Each year we review the records for all working Social Security recipients to see whether the additional earnings you had will increase your monthly benefit. If your earnings for the prior year are higher than one of the years we used to compute your retirement benefit, we will recalculate your benefit amount. If there is an increase, we will send you a letter telling you of your new benefit amount.
      Any of our office representatives should be able to assist you in reviewing your record and verifying your payment information. You may not even have to travel to the local Social Security office, you can write to us, or you can call our toll-free number at 1-800-772-1213. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Thanks!

  5. tinamarie

    Thank you for the information. I have been looking at the great info on the SS website and have another question, please. I see that I would be entitled to divorced survivor’s benefits. And this part: “If you start receiving survivors benefits at age 62, you will get 81.0% of the monthly benefit.” Is this 81% of what would have been from my ex-spouse’s full retirement age? Thank you again. Tinamarie

    • tinamarie

      I meant to say 81% from what I would have received at my full retirement for his record, which would be a little over $1,300 each month. His retirement benefit at full retirement age would be a little over $2,600 each month. And then 81% of $1,300 would be $1,053? Thanks!

  6. tinamarie

    I have a question about collecting ss from my ex spouse. We were married 30 years. I am 4 years away from full retirement age, and will receive ss on my work record and it will be less than my ex husband’s work record. He was the higher wage earner. My ex is 6 years away from full retirement age, and he worked 38 years. If he collects his social security early, will that affect me as far as collecting on his work record when I reach my full retirement age? Or, can I still collect half of his benefits at my full retirement age? Thank you for your help. Tinamarie

    • Ray F.

      Hi! Your benefit as a divorced spouse can be equal to one-half of your ex-spouse’s full retirement benefit amount, only if you start receiving benefits at your full retirement age. Keep in mind, that in order to receive benefits on his record, your ex-husband must be of retirement age (62 or older) or be receiving disability benefits. If he does not apply for his benefits (at age 62 or older), you may still be eligible to receive benefits on his record, if you have been divorced for at least two years. Also, keep in mind that if you are eligible for retirement benefits on your own record, we pay that amount first. If the benefit on your spouse’s record is higher, you will get an additional amount on that record so that the combination of benefits equals that higher amount. See our Retirement Planner: If You Are Divorced for more information. Please call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 for further assistance. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. We hope this information helps.

  7. Carol W.

    My sister passed away in January. She lived with us for almost 10 years. She was never married, so there
    was no spouse or children to claim any benefits she may have been entitled to. We do not know if we can request the funeral benefit for her. I am the administrator of her estate, which was very little.
    Those funds went to one of her nephews and one niece. Was she entitled to the funeral benefit or any other benefits that I should have requested on her behalf.
    Thank you

  8. Lani M.

    Back in April, I signed up for a MYACCOUNT through SSA and had no problem whatsoever accessing my account. However, since the message appeared regarding the new changes, I have not been able to access MYACCOUNT. I have tried going through every avenue I can imagine week after week hoping that at the time, the server was going through an update, service, etc. Now, after a month of doing so, I am very frustrated. I have even tried altering my internet security setting on multiple browsers to see if it was possible that the site was being blocked on my end. This, too, was to no avail. Can someone help me? Please?

    • Ray F.

      Hi Lani. We are sorry that you are having issues accessing your account. We have established a dedicated My Social Security Hotline to assist you. To reach this hotline, call 1-800-772-1213, after you hear “Briefly tell me why you are calling,” say “Help Desk”. Sometimes, it might be best to visit your local Social Security office for further assistance.

  9. Ralph

    Interesting and helpful

  10. Selena W.

    my husband passed am i elgible for his 13th check,

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Selena. We are sorry to hear of your loss. To be eligible for a Social Security benefit payment, a person has to live throughout the entire month. We can’t pay benefits for the month of death. If the deceased was receiving Social Security benefits, you must return the benefit received for the month of death or any later months. For example, if the person dies in June, you must return the benefit paid in July. Keep in mind that Social Security benefits are paid the month after they are due. However, some of the family members may be eligible to receive survivors’ benefits. Please call our toll free number, 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) Monday through Friday between 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. to speak with one of our representatives for further assistance. Or, you can visit your local office.

Comments are closed.