Frauds & Scams, General, Online Services

Don’t Stand by … Speak Up!

August 20, 2015 • By

Reading Time: 1 Minute

Last Updated: August 19, 2021

A concerned woman on the phoneAugust is National Bystander Awareness Month. As a bystander, you can play an essential role in preventing violence, wrongdoings, and fraud. Have you ever witnessed something that you knew was wrong and wondered if you should report it? Did you want to say something, but didn’t because you were afraid of negative consequences? Don’t be afraid, because there are federal laws to protect you.

Reporting information or activity that you suspect is illegal, dishonest, or false is your right. Reportable violations could be abuse of authority, gross waste of funds, a specific danger to public health or safety, or gross mismanagement.

Social Security’s programs were originally created to serve the American public, and 80 years later they still provide critical support to people of all ages. As good stewards of the tax dollars you entrust to us, we design our systems to protect the program against fraud, waste, and abuse.

But, our systems can’t catch everything. And that’s where you can help.

We need you to help us detect and deter fraud, waste, and abuse. Reporting wrongful acts can save lives and taxpayers dollars. Don’t let illegal or dishonest behavior happen on your watch. Learn what we are doing to fight fraud and how you can report fraud.

For more information about whistleblower protections, go to our OIG’s website.

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: , , , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Doug Walker, Deputy Commissioner, Communications

Deputy Commissioner, Office of Communications


  1. Stella H.

    Stella Hurt

    I found out this evening that someone stole my debit card information and made online purchases over $800.00. I looked up the website company and they do not have a customer service number. You can only contact them via email. I called direct express and the only thing the agent did was cancel my current card and issued me a new card and charged me $13.50. All that money was for my rent. I explained to the customer service agent I did not do these purchases or did I give my authorization to do it. My card never left my bag and no one has been in my home. I pay all my bills online. I do not know how anyone got my information, and I can’t get anyone to help me. I do not know what to do and I need help getting my money back. I can’t lose my home. It is just me and my son. I just need some to help me get my money back.

    • Vonda

      Hi Stella, thanks for using our blog. Generally, identity theft issues are handled by the Federal Trade Commission. Visit to report identity theft and get a recovery plan or call 1-877-IDTHEFT (1-877-438-4338).

      Visit our Frequently Asked Questions web page for details on what you can do if you think someone is using your Social Security number.

  2. Floyd R.

    Today I got a voicemail on my I Phone telling me that they are suspend my Social Security number do to some Suspicious Activity. Can You Help Floyd Ritz

  3. Delores Y.

    Got a call from this number today 866-931-7075. Said my Ssa was being stopped. When I call the number back it says mail box is full. Please let me know about this number.

    • Luis A.

      Hi Delores. Thank you for letting us know about these calls. We do not usually make random calls. If you or anyone receives calls saying that they are from Social Security, do not give out any personal information. Suspicious calls should be reported to the Office of the Inspector General at 1-800-269-0271 or online. You can also report these scams to the Federal Trade Commission through a new site specific to Social Security scams here. We hope this helps.

  4. Richard J.

    After 16 Years of being on Permanent Total Disability for Major Depression and Degenerative Joint disease will be stripped. At this point Im not sure what to do,

    • Vonda V.

      Thank you for contacting us, Richard. Unfortunately, and because of security reasons, we do not have access to personal records in this blog and cannot assist you.

      To inquire about your benefits, you will have to contact your local office as soon as possible or call our toll-free number at 1-800-772-1213. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.

  5. Robert J.

    Today is February 17…….Where is my SS Check which was due 2/13 ?

    • Vonda V.

      Hi Robert, thank you for using our blog to ask your question. Check out our Frequently Asked Questions web page on how to report a missing payment.

  6. RG

    How do I report an issue with the SSA without going to a Congressman? I see your IG office does not provide a mechanism to report/investigate internal issues. My father was reported deceased in Nov. We still have no idea who reported him deceased. The SSA pulled back his November payment directly from his bank without speaking directly to my Mother. They only found out after his debit card was rejected. He has visited the local SS Office several times and called the 1-800 number. He still has not been paid. This really is unacceptable. My elderly parents in their 80s should have have to deal with this especially since they rely on their SS payments. Who can we speak to directly to get this resolved without getting our Congressman involved?

    • Vonda V.

      We certainly do apologize for the delay and inconvenience you are experiencing. Unfortunately, but for security reasons, we do not have access to personal records in this blog. Please continue working with your local office and ask to speak with the manager to expedite resolution of your situation.

  7. Carrie E.

    this is urgent I moved to a different location and in need of my benefits like tomorrow. I left out of an abusive family and I couldn’t take my card with me cause my mother is my payee but she does not give me any money at all for 16 years and she is at least supposed to give at least 20 bucks or more every month and I haven’t even gotten that for 16 years. I need my money to start a life of my own and my mother refused to give me my money when I was literally on the streets and I even have proof of that cause I was at a shelter when it happened and like I said I have proof of that cause a women named Tammy at the shelter even herd everything and I had literally a have of a month until I was kicked out of the streets and I told her that and she said with own mouth I will never give the money I take a benefits test and I wasn’t going to cause I already new what they were going to say and so she literally said no and would not send me money until I told her I am going to see you in court. but please I need help as soon as tomorrow please I am begging you. I never even get new clothes when I needed new clothes or shoes either the shoes that I am wearing right now I have had for quite some time. I am in need of socks and and underwear that fits me and not to tight I also cant even get that cause she has spent it all and she would buy extra stuff like her bird cages and stuff on wish for her dogs and send out money to David my brother who lives in Illinios. and spend it on the car like every two weeks cause my brother Zack that lives with her takes it all the time and just spending my money when ever she wants and that she has been doing that since I was 15 or 16 years. I just woke up one day and said I am a person that has a reason to have my money in my name cause she don’t just use it on just the bills and the important stuff in the house. I am living with my boyfriend now and I cant just eat his food without my money and food stamps. I have had two full-time jobs and been told buy the shelter people I shouldn’t be treated like this and she is still in control of my money and I have lived on my own before with no problem and she would only give me the money from checks to pay my landlord. Please I also would like to put my payee in charge of my money to the most trusted person Glen Lee Perry and I would rather trust him to my payee more than anything in this world cause I don’t trust anybody else but I do trust Glen Lee Perry. that is if I cant be my own payee.

Comments are closed.