Our Top Ten Blogs

top-ten-blogsSocial Security is always looking for ways to improve how we communicate with you. It’s been a year-and-a-half since we joined the blogosphere, and we couldn’t be happier! This blog is exactly what we envisioned, an honest conversation with you about our programs, the topics that matter to you, and how our agency can better serve you.  

During this time, we’ve told you about our online services, warned you about protecting yourself against fraud, and shared new ways you can start preparing for a secure retirement.

November is National Blog Posting Month, and in celebration, we are revisiting our most popular blogs of the past year. In case you missed it — or ICYMI —here’s your opportunity to catch up.

  1. What You Need to Know About the New Laws for Claiming Retirement Benefits
  2. Ex-Spouse Benefits and You
  3. An Increase in Social Security Benefits in 2017
  4. How I Navigated the Social Security Disability Process
  5. Reporting Changes is Your Responsibility
  6. Scammers Fake Social Security email
  7. The Disability Insurance Program — Securing Today and Tomorrow for 60 Years
  8. Have You Seen Your Social Security Card Lately?
  9. Your Social Security Statement Is Now at Your Fingertips
  10. A Special Arrival! Top Baby Names in 2015

And these are only a fraction of the topics we’ve covered in this busy year. Visit our blog to learn about these and many other topics that my interest you.

With financial benefits, services, and information, Social Security is here to help support you throughout life’s journey. Go check out our 10 most popular blogs and learn more about how our agency helps secure today and tomorrow.


65 thoughts on “Our Top Ten Blogs

    • There is not way to live on Social Security. You best keep working. I HAD to retire at 54 (health problems) and consistantly receive hospital bills and surgery bills, $95,000.00, $77,000.00, $66,000.00 etc. etc. etc. The 77,000. bill was one day, yes ONE DAY in hosp, didn’t even spend the night. I am
      having a hard time trying to pay my bills, just got my 3rd overdraft sheet for this month!!! I am sick, I am stressed, I am afraid, I am broke, I get hungry, and I pray. What else can we do????

      • Hi Karen, you may want to check and see if you are eligible to receive social services from the state in which you live. These services include Medicaid, free meals, housekeeping help, transportation or help with other problems. You can get information about services in your area from your state or local social services or welfare office. Or you can visit the U. S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) web page for more information. We hope this information helps.

        • Thanks..but by the sound of what she’s saying..she’s aware of theses services, and probably is already benefiting from them…but she’s not seeking handouts! My goodness..what are you suggesting we all do just give up on having any dignity? How about a RAISE in our monthly benefits that we can KEEP!
          Anybody who knows about how ss works..Can fill in the blanks….js.

  1. turn 64 this month actively working want to know my choices on when to receive Social Security. Who do I contact in person on phone?

  2. Those may be the top blogs, but some haven’t gotten positive feedback. An Increase in Social Security Benefits in 2017 could have been larger than 0.3 %.

    • The increase of SSA benefits for ’17 is so miserable due to this malignant govt. have to pay for ALL these ILLEGALS criminal thieves that are crossing our borders in the number of thousands every day for the blatant devil demo. candidate to win the elections on 11/8
      This country is getting better & better every day……….

    • Thank you for your question Aida. The number of work credits you need to get retirement benefits depends on your date of birth. If you were born in 1929 or later, you need 40 credits (10 years of work). People born before 1929 need fewer than 40 credits (39 credits if born in 1928; 38 credits if born in 1927; etc.).

  3. Last week I received your email letter with the Topic about still being able to file and suspend, but when I clicked on the link there was nothing there and couldn’t find the topic using the search tool. Is that article available elsewhere?

  4. I would have liked to see the article “You Can Still File and Suspend, Even With These Changes” – notice of which I received on 10/27/2016 03:15 PM EDT. Two hours later when I attempted to access the article it was gone, as if it never existed. I imagine the author had made a big mistake and the article was killed as soon as it came to the attention of SSA brass, but I would have read it with great interest.

  5. When is the SSA going to get rid of meeting a quota for the number of people approved for SSDI during a specific month. It doesn’t matter how many people apply, it goes by how many people were approved that month from the previous year.

    It look like you already know how many people you are going to approve and not based solely on the disability. Some months you are lenient and give away more free disability money to people.

  6. I cannot access your blog. I get this message…scary!
    The owner of blog.ssa.gov has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website.

  7. As usual 90% of the comments are off topic and SSA calls this a success? They are as deluded as the corrupt alphabet agencies in DC.

  8. Medicare has already started open enrollment, but they haven’t stated what the Medicare Part B monthly premium will be for 2017. There is too much waste and abuse there.

  9. what happen when you settle a workmen compensation to your ssd if they it was a third of your disability income with your social security income but if the settlement comes out to half of what there monthly check was

    • If you take a lump sum from workmans comp,social security will prorate the amount over a number of years until you pay the money backthat you received from compensation.Your ssdi cant be more than 80% of your average weekly wage & they take into account what money you get from workmens comp.

  10. I filed an appeal on August 17 or 18, and hand delivered to SS San Leandro office but till today I have not heard from SS or Medicare. I had received a letter from SS that extra amount or payment will be held from my July benefit payable in August. I had given all details of payment made by me towards premium and in fact I had over paid. In addition since I was enrolled for Medicare in December 2015, my Medicare premium should not increased. Can someone get back yo me?

  11. I would like to be able to access the MySocialSecurity webpage even though I no longer live in the States. Can it be modified so that even non US residents can access their account online to check their social security statement? thank you.

  12. Disgusted with the system. I do everything correctly and get denied. I know people who have cheated the system and collect over $1,000. Monthly.
    I have back surgery and a complete new lumbar section, but after the surgery, I couldn’t move or feel my legs and feet and had drop foot and I now have no bladder or bowel control. I walked into the hospital for surgery and never walked out. I can’t work again, cause I can’t walk, sit, stand, carry, all things that work demands, but on my denial letter, they claim I can find work. How when I can’t leave my house. I’d be a liability in the workplace. I wouldn’t hire me. No income for over a year and still needing a 3rd surgery. Examiners are a joke. They get a paycheck, so who cares about us without a dime coming in?

    • I hear ya Marcie, I have been physically disabled since birth, born with cerebral palsy. the Social Security system failed me for my entire life, I have never received any benefits from them, not one red cent! It’s not from the lack of trying, they just keep finding every excuse under the sun, which they use to deny benefits. The “lawyers” that specialize in social security disability are only after an easy paycheck. If they have to do any fighting for your case (or anything other than sending a letter or two), they will drop the case fast. They are only in it for themselves and could care less if someone who is really disabled, is suffering.

      There is a myth that social security helps all disabled people, its a HUGE LIE. Social security has NEVER helped me, at all, ever!

      I am 45 years old, a mother of three older children and physically disabled ( I was born with cerebral palsy ). I’ve never collected one red cent of money from the Socialist Security System, even though I have applied several times and they find me disabled.

      Technically, I am an “adult disabled child” (please look this up, it is NOT SSI or SSDI) but have never been able to secure any benefits whatsoever from the Socialist Security system, even under that program because I got married to an “Able bodied person”. The Socialist Security system is too busy paying benefits to some people who scam the system and worrying about adult disabled children (who they pay benefits to off of a parents record) marrying an able bodied person. This gives them the justification to cut off benefits to the adult disabled child because the husband (in theory) can now support the disabled person. This theory works great, if your husband is rich and you have no need for money but what it actually does, is to force two adults (one disabled one able bodied person) to live off of one income. In the real world, the socialist security system is forcing adult disabled children to only marry other disabled persons (and NO able bodied persons) at the threat of loosing any and all benefits that they are entitled to.

      If you are a physically disabled person (an adult disabled child) and you happen to marry an “able bodied person” you will be loosing out on a lifetime of benefits, all because of a one word “rule” that prohibits you from marrying an “able bodied person”. Best of all, they never tell you about their “Rule” so that they can justify cutting off any benefits that you may be due.

      Because you are physically disabled (adult disabled child) and you choose not to marry another adult disabled child or disabled person drawing off socialist security, you WILL LOOSE ANY AND ALL BENEFITS FOR LIFE. This means that the SOCIALIST SECURITY system is TELLING YOU WHO YOU ARE ALLOWED TO MARRY and who you are
      NOT ALLOWED TO MARRY! It is a discriminatory act “rule” and should be ILLEGAL!

      Even though I am permanently and totally disabled, if I marry an “able bodied person”, somehow that marriage makes everything ok and I am no longer considered disabled (in the eyes of the socialist security system). Magically (because I married an able bodied person), the pixie fairies come down and cure my disability, because now I can just go out and find gainful employment, no one will discriminate against my physical disability and everything will be grand, right? Somehow magically, marrying an able bodied person makes my physical disablility dissappear and now I am cured, right? WRONG!

      The issue is a special “Rule” that the Socialist Security System uses to discriminate against “certain” people. If you are a “physically disabled person” (AKA-certain people) and happen to marry an able bodied person, then the SOCIALIST SECURITY system will use special “Rules” to legally discriminate against you and deny you benefits, even if you appeal online.

      The SOCIALIST SECURITY system has caused me a lot of economic hardship all because I married an able bodied person. The SOCIALIST SECURITY system thinks someone who is physically disabled (permanently and totally disabled) marries an “able bodied person”, that somehow magically they are cured of their physical disability and two people can survive off the able bodied persons income. WOW, talk about a bunch of bureaucratic idiotic thinking, that somehow this would not cause a financial hardship….. amazing.

      The rules that the Social Security Administration uses to legally discriminate against persons who are “Adult Disabled Children” who happen to marry an able bodied person, are discriminatory. This is loosely referred to as the “marriage penalty” but I call it exactly what it is, a legal form of discrimination.
      I firmly believe this rule, is an act of bias, prejudice and discrimination against people who (by no fault of their own) are born disabled and happen to marry an able bodied person

      Please write your Congressional Representative and tell them to end this modern day form of Legal Discrimination. In this day of fairness and equality, there are still some people suffering from an outdated and oppressive bureaucratic rule.

      (PS. notice how the only thing any of these SOCIALIST SECURITY workers ever say are quotes of the rules or processes, like a worker drone. They are unable to address any topics that fall outside of their rule books). Typical bureaucracy and bureaucratic responses, like trying to argue over lost change with a vending machine

  13. I’m on SSDI and I’m 64 years young. I’m presently looking into working part-time. My question is, if I continue to work until I’m 66 years young, will the money that I made during this short period be used to recalculate my monthly Social Security Check.

  14. I’m 64 years young and considering to return to work on a part-time basis. I presently on SSDI. My question is, if I continue to work part-time until I’m 66 years young, will my earnings be used to Recalculate my monthly Social Security Check..

    • I posted the question above and wish to know the answer to my question. However, I’m not being allowed to use both my name and email address that are highlighted with “Red Astaricks” Why is this happening.

    • Thank you for your question Joe. Remember that disability payments are established at the highest rate possible, and we used the highest years of your earnings to calculate your monthly benefit amount. However, each year, we review the records for all working Social Security recipients to see if additional earnings may increase their monthly benefits. Social Security strongly supports those individuals who want to return to the work force while supplementing their disability benefit income. There are special rules that help you keep your cash benefits and Medicare while you test your ability to work. Please visit our “Disability Planner: If You Go Back To Work” for more information.

  15. I don’t know if it’s just me or if perhaps everybody else encountering issues with your site. It appears as though some of the written text on your content are running off the screen. Can somebody else please provide feedback and let me know if this is happening to them too? This might be a problem with my web browser because I’ve had this happen before. Many thanks


  16. I carried my husband (self-employed) on my employer provided insurance beginning 1987. When he began drawing retirement benefits, he was provided with Medicare part A, but did not elect part B because we had alternate coverage. In the ensuing years, we were consistently assured this was not a problem insofar as the coverage we had was considered “comparable coverage” for Medicare. Recently, a change was made by my carrier which requires the part B coverage for all participants in the plan. It was during the process of attempting to sign up for part B coverage through my local SSA office that I was informed that at the point I retired (7 yrs ago) my coverage was no longer considered “comparable”. The upshot to this from SSA is that even though it was never communicated that my retirement nullified my plan as “comparable”, and despite continued assurances from people who were supposed to know this stuff that everything was fine, penalties will be assessed for the 7 yr gap when I retired, which will, of course go forward forever, and, application cannot even be made until January, with part B coverage not in force until July. Obviously, had anyone anywhere along the line bothered to mention this, I would have made totally different choices, or, at the least, could have made an informed decision. So, I’m sharing this very disappointing experience for others who might also be living under a delusion that all is well when you’re actually in for an unpleasant surprise. I personally would have preferred a response from SSA that didn’t so closely correspond to “sucks to be you” when you’re the guys also assuring that all is well.

    • Only wanna comment on few general things, The website pattern is perfect, the written content is rattling wonderful. “By following the concept of ‘one country, two sy7#,mse&t821s; you don’t swallow me up nor I you.” by Deng Xiaoping.

  17. Hello,

    I recently received two letters from Social Security dated October 18, 2016 & October 26, 2016. (1) The letter dated October 18 stated that I was paid too much in benefits ($384) for the year of 2014 based on my earnings from the month of January $16,299. Based on my calculation, I earned an excess of $819/year. I believe the correct amount based on the earning limit for 2014 of $15,480. (2) I was also informed in the letter from October 18, 2016 that Social Security had changed the date of entitlement from February, the date I had applied for to January based on my earnings(?). But my benefits were withheld due to my work earnings(?). (3) I received a follow-up letter on October 26, 2016 informing me that my monthly benefit amount was changed to a lower amount – obviously as a result of the increased number of months (i.e. 32 mo to 33 mo), and change that was made as to my first entitlement date (i.e. Move from Feb to Jan). I did visit my local Social Security office and while they were very helpful, they could not assure me as to why my entitlement date was changed and/or of I would receive a check as a result of the change. They also agreed that the amount of the overpayment ($384) was incorrect, but no action was taken. I also followed up with a call to national Social Security line, but they could not tell me anything specific about my account. Please advise and let me know who I can speak to address these concerns.

    • We apologize for the delay and inconveniences you are experiencing, Mr. Gould. Unfortunately, but for your security, we do not have access to personal records in this blog. Please continue working with your local office. In your next visit, you can ask to speak with the manager to see how we can help to expedite resolution of your situation. Thanks.

  18. Appointment day: May 5,2017
    Time: 9:35
    Location : Roswell,N.M.
    Ticket: #227 Window 7
    My name: Griselda S.

    The representative at the window was very rude and
    abrupt. He needs sensibility training or a change to another position where he does’nt work with the public.

    • Hi Griselda. We are sorry to hear you did not receive the level of customer service you expected, and we apologize for how you were treated by the representative. We have referred your complaint to our Operations staff to follow up and to take corrective action as necessary. We appreciate your feedback, and thank you for bringing this to our attention.

  19. I wanted to log in to my social security account. The site gave me a code.
    I read the code and went back to my SS account to put in the code. The system asked me for a code again.
    Now I have about 5 codes but I still not able to log in to my account. This whole thing is good to kill people early that they won’t be able to collect SS checks.

    • Hi Maria, please call 1-800-772-1213 for assistance. After you hear “Briefly tell me why you are calling,” say “Help Desk” for help with a my Social Security account. Thanks!

  20. I have a question concerning Workmans compensation and Social Security Retirement Benefits. I’ve read articles saying in 2006 congress passed new legislation that exempts SSR benefits from Workmans compensation offset, and the offset only applies to Social Security Disability insurance. Can you tell me if this is correct? Where can I find this information in the SS hand book? I’m only concerned with the SS Act of 2006 and how it applies in 2018.
    Thank you for any help you can provide!

  21. A tax person told my mother that she should be drawing more monthly SS benefits from half of my father’s benefit amount. Is that true? Can that be done?

    Keep up the great work…….

  22. Hello, on receiving my work/income history from social security, I found it to be missing income from 5 years in the 80 s that I had filed and paid taxes, I received tax transcripts from the irs that show income and taxes paid during those years,but when I called soc sec, they said I need the complete returns to prove my case, and irs destroys them after 6 years. My income and benefits are considerably less because of it. the transcripts show the income, but the agent I spoke with said it would not suffice as proof. I was a self employed carpenter and filed and paid se every year. the transcripts show adjusted gross income,taxable income and taxes paid and not much else, not a full return. Does anyone know if I can get help within soc security,or an advocacy group,the lawyer I spoke to on ask was worthless, he kept saying I must have filed incorrectly, everything was filed correctly, but their records are incorrect, Any relevant advice would be helpful thanks Ron F

    • Hi Ron, thank you for your question. If you were self-employed, you may establish earnings by submitting a copy of your tax returns for the years in question. You need to include the applicable schedules and evidence that your return was filed on time with IRS. Evidence of filing your return includes canceled checks, IRS receipts, or other evidence of payment of tax shown on your return. Please work with your local Social Security office on obtaining and submitting proper documentation.


  24. Military bases in the united states

    Rumors have been for a long time that military is closing some bases down

    Fort hood texas (Killeen) is one of them at first they said fort hood base was going to be turned into a military basic training base

    Then later rumors were that it was closing down as a base


    I recommend that the fort hood base be considered being used and turned into a military retirement home center for retired military members for senior age group for 55 and up age who served in military and dept of defense staff

    So when they get their retirement checks then also send them to fort hood if they need housing

    Fort hood had military housing on the base and what I recommend they do is turn the base into military retirement premises

    Leave the fence up and do not take it down around the base so that people can see were the land owned by fort hood is so they can be more careful on the retirement premises when they drive or walk on it

    Get applications like city housing has for the retiree’s to apply for a apartment on fort hood to move in and only charge 30 percent of their income like from their retirement checks

    This could be the first military retirement community land there has been ever

    Fort hood should have at least 50 houses and apartments on the base which can be used as retirement houses and rented to the military members with their retirement with their spouses if they have one

    And military fort hood base hospital ——it can be used as a housing project for the military wheel –chair combined and handicap soldiers who need like walkers who have trouble walking and things like that and rent the hospital rooms out as housing to the handicap soldiers in need of housing with their retirement checks or social security checks and get a military cook assigned to the base to do the cooking at the hospital cafeteria for the soldiers on the base or just in the hospital

    For those 55 and up first if not full then some 40 years and to 55 age group next in the hospital and I recommend one person per hospital room to make them comfortable and keep them happy

    The soldiers in the hospital who are handicap have the whole base they can walk or roll around on and talk with the other retiree’s on the base who are renting the housing and apartments on the base

    The fence lets the public know/now were the land starts for fort hood so they can be extra careful when they are on the premises and other things

    If you do not like that idea try this idea !!!!!!!!

    Divorced wives and divorced wives with kids ——make it a first military city housing for divorced wives with kids to live and rent at 30 percent of their income

    Make it a military low income housing project for divorced wives to apply for to rent on

    Use the schools on the base to school their kids I am sure that the public school district will easily hire school teachers and pay them to teach the kids on the base schools and kids can stay until 18 yrs old and so can divorced wives the leave the base after that to make room for the others in line waiting

    I hope you like the ideas and decide to try them

    Signed Katrine Elizabeth sackett32463whitelady (5’3)(5’21/2)
    Spring terrace apts 7101 n ih 35 austin tx near burger king and near denny restaurant by st johns and ih 35 austin tx
    Dec 2019

    Write back and let me know/now what you all think as president and senators and military headquarters over these issues

  25. Spent 2 days trying to get access to W-2 forms for me as a household employer to file with SSA. Have pass code but cannot get technical help with your web site since phone is always busy. called at 659 AM no answer and called at 702 AM and all were busy helping others. As a Federal Retiree OF 34 YEARS WITH THE INTELL COMMUNITY, you have BIG PROBLEMS FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE TRYING TO COMPLY WITH THE LAW AND REPORT W-2 FOR A CLEANING LADY THAT CLEANS OUR HOME EVERY WEEK. I JUST CAN’T ACCESS THE FORMS EVEN THOUGH MY PASSOWRD IS GOOD TILL APRIL 25,2020

    • Hi, Jim. We are sorry that you are having difficulty accessing our Business Services Online (BSO). Because it is tax season, BSO may be experiencing delays due to high submission volumes from employers submitting w2s. Also, in case you are a first time user, you must first register and create a user ID and select “wage reporting suite of services” during your registration process, before you start creating forms W2/W3. We encourage you to continue using BSO during its normal business hours, Monday through Friday between 5:00 a.m. and 1:00 a.m. Saturday between 5:00 a.m. and 11:00 p.m., and Sunday between 8:00 a.m. and 11:30 p.m. (ET).

      For more information on BSO and Employer W2 Filing Instructions and Information, please visit here. Also, we have established a dedicated Employer Reporting Service Center Hotline. To reach this hotline, please call 1-800-772-6270 (TTY number,1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday between 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. (ET) or email us at bso.support@ssa.gov. We hope this helps!

Leave a Reply - (comment policy)

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *