40 thoughts on “On Vacation- Social Security Is Still Here For You

  1. My mom is going out of the country for two months, I will like to know what she has to do? Or notify at the social security office. As she is receiving her pension. Can this change anything? Please clarify. Thanks

    • Hello Alicia. If your mom is receiving retirement benefits, and is only traveling for a couple of months, she may continue to receive her payments while she is outside the United States.
      She is required to notify us of a permanent change of address.
      In the other hand, we cannot pay Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits, if she will be absent from the country for a full calendar month or for 30 consecutive days or more. She must report the details of her trip as soon as possible.
      She can call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Or she can contact her local Social Security office directly. Thanks!

  2. I never knew that social security benefits are available to you when on vacation. We are going to our lake house for the summer and my brother needs his social security benefits. Thanks for the tips on how social security is still here when on vacation. https://cooklaw.org/salt-lake-city/

    • You should always report changes that may affect your Social Security benefits. Unfortunately, and because of security reasons we do not have access to personal records in this blog and cannot answer your question at this time. One of our representatives should be able to provide you with an explanation. Please call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 for assistance. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Generally, you will have a shorter wait time if you call later during the day or later in the week. Thanks.

  3. I am 55 have neen on SSDI/SSI for almost 30 yrs in NYS. Question is; How does one go about heading south in winer and spring and staying North Summer and Fall? This would be within THe USA. Do I need another address at my vacationing state of choice? or can I have my mail forwarder or picked up bu someone and sent to me? Thank you

  4. I’m 61 be 62 in september.i made a application for my x husband retirement, was married for 15 years
    now divorce, never got married.when I got divorce my lawyer said I could claim his retirement because I left him everything we had included the house.application was denied because im receiving SSDI. Can I appeal again?

    • Hi Sylvia, thanks for using our blog. If you are divorced and currently unmarried, you may be able to receive benefits on your ex-spouse’s record if your marriage lasted 10 years or longer. Your benefit as a divorced spouse can be equal to one-half of your ex’s full retirement amount only if you start receiving those benefits at your full retirement age. If you begin to receive benefits at age 62 or prior to your full retirement age, your benefits are reduced. The reduction factors are permanently applied to all of the benefits you qualify for once you opt to start benefits at age 62 or at any time prior to your full retirement age.

      Remember, if you qualify for your own retirement benefits and for benefits as a divorced spouse, we always pay your own retirement benefits first. If your benefits as a divorced spouse are higher than your own retirement benefits, you will get a combination of benefits equaling the higher divorced spouse benefit.

      See our Retirement Planner: If You’re Divorced for other eligibility requirements and more detailed information.

      You can apply online by using our Social Security Retirement/Medicare Benefit Application to apply for retirement, spouse’s, divorced spouse’s or Medicare benefits.

Leave a Reply - (comment policy)

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *