Online Services, Social Security Number and Card

Replace Your Social Security Card Online in 43 States and the District of Columbia

June 1, 2020 • By

Reading Time: 2 Minutes

Last Updated: November 2, 2023

We’re pleased to announce that we’ve added Connecticut, Ohio, and Utah to the growing list of states where you can go online to replace your Social Security card. In many cases, you may not need a replacement card. Most of the time, simply knowing your Social Security number is enough.

If you do need to replace your lost or misplaced Social Security card, our online application makes getting a replacement card easier than ever. Online card replacement is available if you live in the District of Columbia or one of the 43 states that can verify state ID information for us. If you’re only requesting a replacement card and you’re making no changes, you may be able to use our free online service.

All you need to do is create a personal my Social Security account and meet certain requirements. Opening a personal my Social Security account is easy, convenient, and secure. We protect your information by using strict identity verification and security features. Once you have a personal account, simply follow the instructions to request a replacement Social Security card.

You can apply for a replacement card online, if you:

  • Are a U. S. citizen age 18 or older with a U.S. mailing address (this includes APO, FPO, and DPO addresses);
  • Are not requesting any changes to your card (including a name change); and
  • Have a valid driver’s license or state-issued identification card.

Now is a great time to go online because Social Security offices are currently closed to the public due to the COVID-19 pandemic. If you need a replacement card, please visit our website to find out if you can take advantage of this convenient online replacement service.

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Mike Korbey, Deputy Commissioner for Communications

Mike Korbey, Deputy Commissioner for Communications


  1. Vira Z.

    How can I update my citizenship status on SS on card?

  2. Louis F.

    How do I get an appt. at my local office if the office won’t take my calls? Instead they say “call back tomorrow”.

    • Vonda

      Hi Louis, thanks for using our blog. You can call us at 1-800-772-1213 for assistance or you can call your local Social Security office. Please look for the general inquiry telephone number at the Social Security Office Locator. The number may appear under Show Additional Office Information. Please be aware that our call wait times are longer than normal. We hope this information helps.

  3. Arnold P.

    How can I order my minor child social security card online?

  4. Arnold P.

    How can I verify my minor child’s social security number online?

Comments are closed.