Online Services, Survivors

On Vacation? Social Security Is Still Here For You

June 26, 2017 • By

Reading Time: 2 Minutes

Last Updated: November 3, 2023

family having a mealSummer is here and millions of vacationers are packing their bags to visit a new locale and soak up some sunshine. You might be traveling quite a ways. You’re used to staying connected to important information like your bank accounts and social networks, especially on the go. Social Security is there in the same way — easily accessible when you’re away from your home or office.

When you’re going on vacation and want to be sure your Social Security benefits arrive, use your personal my Social Security account. When you open a personal and secure my Social Security account, you can access it on your terms. We put you in control of your financial future.

A personal my Social Security account is important whether you receive benefits from Social Security or not. You can:

  • Request a replacement Social Security or Medicare card if you meet certain requirements.
  • Check the status of your application or appeal.
  • Get your Social Security Statement.
  • Get a benefit verification letter stating that:
    • You receive retirement, disability, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), or Medicare benefits.
    • You never received Social Security benefits, Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Medicare.
    • You received benefits in the past, but do not currently receive them. (The letter will include the date your benefits stopped and how much you received that year.).
    • You applied for benefits but haven’t received an answer yet.

There’s also more you can do with your personal my Social Security account. We’re always adding new features and resources to make your life easier and give you greater control over your benefits. Placing the “Application Status” feature behind the my Social Security portal provides a secure service delivery channel that allows us to provide detailed status information about your claim without requiring a confirmation number.

With the new Application Status, you can see:

  • In-progress online applications.
  • Detailed information about the current status of the application or appeal.
  • The location where your claim is being processed.
  • Scheduled hearing information for appeals.

Whether you’re vacationing or on a staycation, Social Security’s online services are at your fingertips. With an easy-to-access my Social Security account, you can use our multiple online services while barefoot on the beach. How convenient is that? You don’t even have to put your lemonade down when you visit our website.

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: , , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications


  1. Taj

    Good day,
    Will it be acceptable to SSA to deduct half the rent of our two bedroom apartment ($900: 2 = $450) from a child’s benefits and half the car expenses and repairs since I take her to activities and to and from school.
    PS: I asked SSA and the agent said ” What ever you want to charge her.”
    Thank you,

  2. Taj

    Thank you for responding to my inquiry so quickly. I understand that it does not concern me nor my child.


  3. Taj
    The above brochure does not specify if it only concerns SSI.
    I called today SSA agent and she told me the brochure only concerns SSI recipients and not regular Retirement recipients or their dependents.
    Could you please weigh in.

  4. Taj

    Good day,
    Could you please explain what exactly is the ’30 day rule’ for being outside the US. From what I am reading, anyone on SSA regular retirement benefits (Not on SSI) going on Vacation ( No intention to live abroad) must report ahead of time the intent to leave the US. Is that correct?

    PS My 12 year old also receives benefits on my account and is going along as well.

    Thank you,


    • Ray F.

      The 30 day rule applies to individuals living permanently outside the United States. If you and your son are going on an extended vacation and do not have plans to live abroad (permanently) this rule does not apply. Please call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 if you need further assistance. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Thanks!

  5. Mikhael

    Congratulations on the content.

  6. Luisa

    Gostei muito do seu Blog thanks so muuch

  7. Terry G.

    Hello ,it’s better to visit the SS office thank you

  8. Cara M.

    Thank you for all the information you have submitted is very useful for us who read it, and hopefully useful also for all its.
    Healthy greetings always and awaited return visit yes.

    • Jenna Y.

      Thank you for your feedback, Cara! We’re pleased we can help. Our employees are committed to providing the public with the best service possible. It’s wonderful to know our efforts are paying off.

      • Taj

        Good day,
        We are planning, my daughter (12 years) and I, to go on a vacation for 50 days outside the US this coming summer o France and North Africa. We will be back to our US town and house in the US in August. Should we let SSA know that we are going on vacation. Will we loose benefits ( mine and hers [dependent child of retiree])? Will still have payment to our US accounts? Will the payment be suspended? Should we not go for more than 30 days?
        Thank you,


  9. Jaime

    I would like to thank you for the efforts you have put in writing this web site. I’m hoping the same high-grade website post from you in the upcoming as well. In fact your creative writing abilities has inspired me to get my own blog now. Really the blogging is spreading its wings rapidly. Your write up is a good example of it.

  10. samantha c.

Comments are closed.