Disability, General, Medicare, Retirement, SSI

New Statement Fact Sheet for People with Limited Earnings

April 28, 2022 • By

Reading Time: 1 Minute

Last Updated: November 2, 2023

older woman reviewing information on a tabletIf you have a personal my Social Security account, you can view your Social Security Statement online to learn about your future benefits and recent earnings history. The Statement also includes fact sheets that provide helpful information based on your age group and earnings situation. We recently released a new fact sheet specifically for people with limited earnings.

You can access your Statement and the new fact sheet using your personal my Social Security account. The new fact sheet covers how you and your family members may qualify for benefits, including:

  • Supplemental Security Income.
  • Social Security retirement benefits.
  • Benefits for children.
  • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.
  • Help with health care costs – including Medicare, Medicare Savings Programs, Extra Help with Medicare prescription drug costs, and Medicaid.

We’re committed to helping you learn about all your benefit options. Our Benefits Eligibility Screening Tool is a convenient way to find potential benefits that best fit your situation.

To learn more, visit our Social Security Statement webpage. Please share this article with your friends and family – and post it on social media.

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Dawn Bystry, Associate Commissioner, Office of Strategic and Digital Communications

Deputy Associate Commissioner, Office of Strategic and Digital Communications


  1. Diane r.

    This article really dose not say any thing about earning extra money . to Help support your self.

  2. DLKirkwood

    Rita, apply for SSI. That (if I am correct) adds additional income for those in extreme poverty.

    Patrick, Locate an ATTY who handles Disability claims for Soc Sec. Unless the law changed, they can only charge you so much money if hey win, nothing if they do not. Soc.Sec. is set up to deny you twice, then the 3rd time is to prove your case in court.
    For me the Judge okayed me w/o going to court because I had the same Dr. for decades, and it was clear to anyone with a brain I could not work again at any job. When approved you will get questionaires every 6 mos or so reg. your ability to work, or not.

    Tammy l. If your ‘autoimmune disease also included chronic low Vit. D, (and perhaps a Vit B), it may not be Auto Immune, it maybe a genetic condition of the MTHFR gene and your body cannot break down Folic Acid (the lab made Folate found in many natural foods. You see, I never showed signs of LUPUS until they added Folic Acid to Flour. If you have mutations on your MTHFR gene, then you are mimicking the Autoimmune illness and THAT treatment will NOT help you. What will help you (if the Dr. refuses to do the genetic test) is for you to avoid ALL foods with even a small amount of flour. HOWEVER, if you must buy Pasta or such, get the ORGANIC, because it cannot (by law) contain lab made Folic Acid. This after a few months as your body rids itself of hyperhomocysteinemia (the result of this inability to breakdown FA and you will begin to feel healthy again.

    I discovered this myself when I went to AU, then came back, Fine in AU, but not is USA.

    I am on Twitter warning many as a retired RN. My disability is post Brain Surgery, dyslexic occurrences & thankfully not the MTHFR which symptoms have never returned since 2001. My “Lupus” is cured. Good luck.

  3. JOSEPH W.

    Where can I get an explanation of the “WIND FALL TAX?

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Joseph. Thanks for visiting our blog. For tax questions, you will need to contact the IRS. Their toll-free number is 1-800-829-1040 or you can visit their website. We hope this information is helpful.

  4. Eva S.

    I live in a rent controlled senior apt and my rent is raised every year. My social security is at the highest that you can qualify to live here and it is almost 50% of my SS
    The housing budget was 1/3 of total income I thought was government standard

    • Sandra O.

      IMO. A limited income social security I can’t afford an apartment I’m trying to get assistance but I didn’t have any luck can someone please help me and put this in my direction please help me

      • Ann C.

        Hi, Sandra. We are sorry to hear about your situation. You may be eligible to receive social services from the state in which you live. These services include free meals, housekeeping help, transportation, or help with other problems. To get information about services in your area and find out if you qualify, you will need to contact your state or local social services or welfare office. We hope this helps.

        • Amy L.

          That is free meals and household help if you qualify ..ONLY IF there is a service provided in the area you live. I live in a rural farming area in Nebraska…Dixon county..my zip code is 68751.that 11 miles away in south Dakota there is meals prepared, food pantry, and church help but since it’s technically not the state I live in I can’t apply….that 3 miles to the west is cedar county where they provide help through salvation army but since I am not in that county they don’t provide me help..all depends on where you live if you qualify under income standards..that one would think that all counties would be equal but sorry to say this is not true..if tried writing my district congressman and received no reply…obudsomen only care about whistle blowers and fraud cases and Medicaid seriously has flaws to point I just come to think they are a scam all together. No training makes it so you can’t even find out what’s covered or not and I tried three times and cannot even get welcome package sent or provider detector to tell me doctors in my area. Each state receives state and federal money to help those in need..have programs in place if disabled but the people who take info and start the process…call them selves account managers….are not trained to think for themselves they trained to read from a computer screen so when you have a question regarding just about anything I’m put on hold ten or twenty minutes each time…and if they get tired of trying to help and know they can’t they just place you back into IVR to get another rep that does same thing all over again..over and over again. Typical call for me is an hour an half minimum and stop trying and give up….no help..supervisor never available and cannot get any govt agency that oversees this….hearings are not a help as you need denied first. It’s just a mess or scam to say yes we receive money and can help but don’t…seriously need someone with authority to stand up and say this is not helping the state.

    • Tony

      The federal reserve bank made money easy to borrow for investors to buy homes with little down and low interest.

      The investor then rents the home for more than what they paid, passing their cost and their profit onto the renter.

      If you can’t afford the 50%, then you have to find a cheaper place to live in your area like a cardboard box.

      The federal reserve made it cheaper to buy than to rent which increased the cost of the house and rent.

      If the federal reserve increase the interest rate to be more expensive to buy than to rent, then the price of home and rent would go down.

      The federal reserve banks know this, but is doing little to stop inflation.

  5. Anne

    Have reached full retirement age. Was told by Social Security that you could earn up to
    $ 40,000 without paying income tax. Any amount over that income tax would have to be paid.
    1st year earned less than$ 40,000 did not have federal taxes taken out since made sure to earn under the stated amount. Had to pay Federal taxes $1500 on earnings.
    Had Federal taxes taken out of earnings since told once you work Federal taxes need to be paid.
    Earned less than the $40,000 and still had to pay Federal Taxes $686.00.
    Social Security and Federal Income Tax should work together so that a Full Retiree can continue to work and pay minimal to no taxes under the stated bracket range $40,000 as declared by Social Security.
    Need further clarification to fully understand this matter.

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Anne. It sounds like you are referring to the earnings limit. In the year you reach full retirement age, we deduct $1 in benefits for every $3 you earn above a different limit. In 2022, this limit on your earnings is $51,960. We only count your earnings up to the month before you reach your full retirement age, not your earnings for the entire year. Beginning with the month you reach full retirement age, your earnings no longer reduce your benefits, no matter how much you earn.As far as taxes, you must pay taxes on your benefits if you file a federal tax return as an “individual” and your “combined income” exceeds $25,000. If you file a joint return, you must pay taxes if you and your spouse have “combined income” of more than $32,000. If you are married and file a separate return, you probably will have to pay taxes on your benefits. For more information, visit our Benefits Planner.  For federal tax questions, you will need to contact the IRS. Their toll-free number is 1-800-829-1040 or you can visit their website. We hope this information is helpful.

  6. Nancy C.

    Being self employed, I contributed twice as much money to SS! However, my SS payments are the same as if I had an employer paying half of my contributions. Try to live on $581 a month…

  7. Rita D.

    AMERICA 🇺🇸 HA,JOKE does not give a damn about seniors,I live on 834.00 a month. You try that one time. Government waste is out of control. Screw Ukraine help Americans. Wastful government spending. Ashamed to be an American and I was born and raised here. 73 and can’t afford a place to live!!

    • Jena G.

      Yes I agree I get 756 a month they keep 86 a month for a so called overpayment was told it was my fault that it took them 4 months to stop my benefits after I recieved some law suit money I did my part I called and reported within 10 days it crazy

      • Mary T.

        I received a small inheritance from my parents. Didn’t know I had to report it. They cut me completely off. Try living on zero a month. I do mean zero!

    • Pam

      I totally agree with you. I. Having the same problem. Before long all seniors on SSI will be living in the streets.


    I have developed a medical condition that will cause an early retirement. How can learn more about about any disability claims that i might be eligible for?

    • Rita H.

      Just apply for a retirement and disability claims and Social Security will let you know. If you are of retirement age, dependant upon the year you were born, you receive the Retirement payment because you are old enough to receive that payment. If you are later found to be disabled, SS will make up the difference between the actual Retirement to which you are entitled and the higher disability payment.

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Patrick. We are sorry to hear about your condition. Social Security disability benefits are paid to people who are unable to work because of a medical condition that is expected to last one year or more or end in death. For adults, we use a five-step evaluation process to decide whether you are disabled. We consider any current work activity you are doing, your medical condition, and how it affects your ability to work. For more information and how to apply, please visit our Disability Benefits page. We hope this helps. 


  9. Teresa M.

    I am disabled myself, and have a very modest SS check. I cannot live on that plus Medicare doesn’t pay for the specialists I have to go to, that is $30.00 every visit. I have had to pawn my car, and a gold necklace that was my mothers just to pay bills.
    I cannot perform any physical labor, nor stand up all day, that is the type of job that people think retirees should do, retail. So I have been applying at office positions that I can do; type and answer the phone. But it is pretty much a fact that elders are discriminated against.
    If it had not been for my younger brother, I would be out on the street. I’d be ok if I could just find a decent job.

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Teresa. We are sorry to hear about your situation. You may be eligible to receive social services from the state in which you live. These services include free meals, housekeeping help, transportation, or help with other problems. To get information about services in your area and find out if you qualify, you will need to contact your state or local social services or welfare office. We hope this helps.

  10. Tammy l.

    What I would never understand is why if a SSI beneficiarie is trying to work because the SSI check is not enough to support their family and a house why the decrease in the payment. Im a single mother with a autoimmune disease that prevents me from working and i get a monthly payment and i end up being evicted every year for the lack of payment. How am going to keep surviving like this. I really need help understanding this because every year i feel like I can’t do it anymore.

    • Advocate

      Because Congress doesn’t care and neither does the vast majority of the voting population who vote for them. Congress says they want to help people improve their economic situation and be able to accrue savings, but this is just rhetoric.

      SSI should be restructed something along these lines to be fair and enable people to improve their economic lot: Exclude the first $500 of monthly earnings. Then reduce the SSI payment 1 dollar for every 4 dollars earned (instead of the current 1 for every 2 earned). This would allow a more gradual reduction in benefits as income goes up.

      Also, those who get Medicaid because of being disabled and on SSI should be able to keep it going forward, regardless of changes to their work status, age, income or assets. Otherwise, one can’t count on benefits such as long-term care which they likely will need at some point. At a minimum this specific benefit should be retained, even if one transfers to other health care coverage (which doesn’t cover long term care). But SSA and Congress knows this, they just don’t want to spend the money.

    • Rita H.

      Depending upon the State within which you live in, you may be entitled to welfare payments for your other family members. Remember the SSI payments are for you only. Again, this is state where you live, apply for subsidized housing. Have you discussed your options with a social worker or your treating doctor? Also ask for a copy of your earnings record so you can see if over the years an employer failed to actually pay FICA. An employer who has failed to pay FICA cannot run away from that obligation. Once you have your earnings record, used be called the Scout Report your prior W-2s ought to add up to the information provided in the Scout report. For further info, just go to your local SS office.

      • Sandy B.

        Agree with Rita info. You may get food, cash for children and or/ child support which you can pursue. Kids get medical, breakfast, lunch, summer food programs, check for energy asst programs, many non-profit housing programs., as well as usda, hud. Just like today continue to advocate for your needs and assistance for family.

      • Maria D.

        When will they Issue Government impact. payments due April 2022 I live in florida other stateshave already receive theres .The amount is about 750

        • Ann C.

          Hi, Maria. Thanks for visiting our blog. Please visit the IRS website for all your Economic Income Payment-related questions. If you are unable to find the answer, call the IRS hotline at 1-800-919-9835. Thanks!

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Tammy. We are sorry to hear about your condition and situation. You may be eligible to receive social services from the state in which you live. These services include free meals, housekeeping help, transportation, or help with other problems. To get information about services in your area and find out if you qualify, you will need to contact your state or local social services or welfare office. We hope this helps.

    • J S.

      Why does the government worry about students college loans when they are young I could take care of themselves if they would work. People that worked and on Social Security that can’t make it every month . Please worry about the elderly people and the people that are sick. They worry about people making $100,000 a year I would be so happy I’m paying all my bills and five a that much money. Just help us

Comments are closed.