Online Services, Social Security Number and Card

Need to Change Your Name on Your Social Security Card?

October 9, 2018 • By

Reading Time: 2 Minutes

Last Updated: November 3, 2023

A stack of social security cardsAre you changing your name? If so, let Social Security know so we can update your information, send you a corrected card, and make sure you get the benefits you’ve earned.

To change your name on your card, you must show us documents proving your legal name change and identity. If you are a U.S. citizen, you also must show us a document proving your U.S. citizenship, if it is not already in our records. You must present original documents or copies certified by the agency that issued them. We can’t accept photocopies or notarized copies.

To prove your legal name change, you must show one of the following documents:

  • Marriage document.
  • Divorce decree.
  • Certificate of naturalization showing a new name.
  • Court order for a name change.

To prove your identity, you must show an unexpired document showing your name, identifying information, and photograph, such as one of the following:

  • U.S. driver’s license.
  • State-issued non-driver’s identification card.
  • U.S. passport.

If you don’t have one of those documents available, we may be able to accept your:

  • Employer identification card.
  • School identification card.
  • Health insurance card.
  • U.S. military identification card.

To prove your U.S. citizenship, you must show one of the following documents:

  • U.S. birth certificate.
  • U.S. Consular Report of Birth Abroad.
  • U.S. passport (unexpired).
  • Certificate of Naturalization.
  • Certificate of Citizenship.

Whatever your reason for your name change, Social Security is here to help you with the new… you! Fill out the form online and follow the instructions to ensure your Social Security card is delivered in a timely manner. You can also locate your local field office so you can apply for your updated card and show your required documents in person.

For complete instructions, visit our Social Security Number and Card page, which includes information for non-citizens. And remember, if you simply need to replace a lost Social Security card, but don’t need to change your name, you can — in most states — request your replacement card online using your personal my Social Security account.

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: , , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications


  1. Yvette R.

    Hello My Name is Yvette Roberts
    I have paid $38 online to receive a application to due a name change due to marraige and have never received anything, please help

  2. Denise D.

    Recently divorced but I have my original card with my correct name. Do I need to do anything else?

  3. Thaddeus K.

    I’m happy I found this blog! From time to time, students want to cognitive the keys of productive literary essays composing. Your first-class knowledge about this good post can become a proper basis for such people. thank!

  4. Donna C.

    What forms do i need to change my name after a divorce? can i fill out forms and mail this in to get the name change I need to change my name to Donna Votaw from Donna Crabtree

  5. laura c.

    i just filled out my change of name application. where do i mail it to?

    • Vonda V.

      Hi Laura, thank you for your question. To find the Social Security office that services you, use our office locator .

      Keep in mind that when you submit the application through the mail, you must also provide required documentation. All documents must be either originals or certified copies. All documents will get returned to you.

      See Learn What Documents You Need for a list of acceptable documents.

  6. Yvonne A.

    to change my name do I need to come to office?

  7. perdhaan

    very informative article thnx a lot sir.

  8. Rawat S.

  9. PRITAM S.

    After hours and hours in smelly waiting rooms, people coughing on me and ignoring the NO Cell Phone signs, local bums using the rooms to keep warm, miles walked, all documents collected, my name was finally changed. Guess what???? It did not flow through to my medicare account. That still has the old name. My God, this is such a horrible experience and it’s still not over. Every time I call it’s minimum 1 1/2 hour wait.

  10. Marcus J.

    I got adopted and I would like to change my name to Marcus Luke Johnson

    • Vonda V.

      Hi Marcus, congratulations on your adoption! Check out our Frequently Asked Questions web page on how to change your name on your Social Security card.

Comments are closed.