Online Services, Social Security Number and Card

Need to Change Your Name on Your Social Security Card?

October 9, 2018 • By

Reading Time: 2 Minutes

Last Updated: November 3, 2023

A stack of social security cardsAre you changing your name? If so, let Social Security know so we can update your information, send you a corrected card, and make sure you get the benefits you’ve earned.

To change your name on your card, you must show us documents proving your legal name change and identity. If you are a U.S. citizen, you also must show us a document proving your U.S. citizenship, if it is not already in our records. You must present original documents or copies certified by the agency that issued them. We can’t accept photocopies or notarized copies.

To prove your legal name change, you must show one of the following documents:

  • Marriage document.
  • Divorce decree.
  • Certificate of naturalization showing a new name.
  • Court order for a name change.

To prove your identity, you must show an unexpired document showing your name, identifying information, and photograph, such as one of the following:

  • U.S. driver’s license.
  • State-issued non-driver’s identification card.
  • U.S. passport.

If you don’t have one of those documents available, we may be able to accept your:

  • Employer identification card.
  • School identification card.
  • Health insurance card.
  • U.S. military identification card.

To prove your U.S. citizenship, you must show one of the following documents:

  • U.S. birth certificate.
  • U.S. Consular Report of Birth Abroad.
  • U.S. passport (unexpired).
  • Certificate of Naturalization.
  • Certificate of Citizenship.

Whatever your reason for your name change, Social Security is here to help you with the new… you! Fill out the form online and follow the instructions to ensure your Social Security card is delivered in a timely manner. You can also locate your local field office so you can apply for your updated card and show your required documents in person.

For complete instructions, visit our Social Security Number and Card page, which includes information for non-citizens. And remember, if you simply need to replace a lost Social Security card, but don’t need to change your name, you can — in most states — request your replacement card online using your personal my Social Security account.

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: , , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications


  1. David C.

    I misplaced my SSC at the VA Hospital in Houston, TX.

    I need to replace my SSC card.

    Tried to open an account but was told that an account could not be opened for that card number.

  2. Marlo T.

    How do I apply for a New social security number

  3. Vicky M.

    I can not get into my account because I don’t remember my pass word .

  4. Marianne M.

    I need to change my name on my card. However, I was married 42 years ago and never had it changed. Can I go to ANY SS office to do this? There is a SS office in the town I work in but I don’t live in the same county. Also, because it’s been so long what documentation would I need if I decide to mail in my request (other than my marriage certificate of course).

  5. Jo J.

    I am having a problem with my name. My original birth certificate has my name as Jo Ellen Janson. Ellen was and is my middle name. When I married I added my last name Now my name is Jo Ellen Janson-Wills. Some how SSA has Jo Ellen as my first name which is constantly causing problems. I asked to have my last name changed when I married but the person who entered the new name into the record combined my first and middle as my first name. I would like to have it corrected. I have requested that this be corrected twice before but never received an answer. How can I get this changed. Thanks, Jo

  6. Nielle P.

    My mom keeps telling everyone that social security cards and being phased out for “new” Medicaid cards. WHAT IS SHE TALKING ABOUT??

  7. Karen T.

    I am not sure if I ever requested a new ss card when I got married in 1990. I do have my ss card with my maiden name on it. I don’t know if this is considered a replacement card or a lost card Please let me know which procedure to use.

  8. Rachalia s.

    I want to drop a name from my son name. How do I do that?

    • Vonda V.

      Hi Rachalia, thank you for your question. Check out our Frequently Asked Questions web page for details on how to change a name on a Social Security card.

  9. Kevin B.

    All I want to do is update my address. You make that simple task simply impossible. I need a new SS card and I need to begin the process of beginning to receive my SS benefits. But… evidently, that won’t happen because you’ve deliberately designed the system to frustrate me to the point of a stroke.

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Kevin. We are sorry to hear about your frustration. If you are not yet receiving benefits you don’t need to change your address with us at this time. Keep in mind that you may not need a replacement card. You will rarely need to show it. Knowing the Social Security number is what is important. To see if you’re eligible to apply for a replacement Social Security card online or to learn more on the process and what documents you will need to get a card please visit our Social Security Number and Card page. Keep in mind all submitted documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency and must (unless otherwise indicated) have been issued within the last two years. We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents. Once you’ve submitted all the needed documents, it can take up to 10 business days from the date we received the application to mail a replacement card. You can also schedule an appointment with your local office by calling us at 1-800-772-1213 between 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Friday to have one of our representatives assist you. Generally, you will have a shorter wait time if you call later in the day. We hope this helps.

  10. Cecil R.

    A nebulizer is a machine used for treating respiratory conditions like Asthma and COPD where the individual hasdifficulty in breathing because of narrowing of air passages. It delivers the medication in the kind of mist that is inhaled by the patient usually by way of a mouthpiece.

Comments are closed.