Online Services, Social Security Number and Card

Need to Change Your Name on Your Social Security Card?

October 9, 2018 • By

Reading Time: 2 Minutes

Last Updated: November 3, 2023

A stack of social security cardsAre you changing your name? If so, let Social Security know so we can update your information, send you a corrected card, and make sure you get the benefits you’ve earned.

To change your name on your card, you must show us documents proving your legal name change and identity. If you are a U.S. citizen, you also must show us a document proving your U.S. citizenship, if it is not already in our records. You must present original documents or copies certified by the agency that issued them. We can’t accept photocopies or notarized copies.

To prove your legal name change, you must show one of the following documents:

  • Marriage document.
  • Divorce decree.
  • Certificate of naturalization showing a new name.
  • Court order for a name change.

To prove your identity, you must show an unexpired document showing your name, identifying information, and photograph, such as one of the following:

  • U.S. driver’s license.
  • State-issued non-driver’s identification card.
  • U.S. passport.

If you don’t have one of those documents available, we may be able to accept your:

  • Employer identification card.
  • School identification card.
  • Health insurance card.
  • U.S. military identification card.

To prove your U.S. citizenship, you must show one of the following documents:

  • U.S. birth certificate.
  • U.S. Consular Report of Birth Abroad.
  • U.S. passport (unexpired).
  • Certificate of Naturalization.
  • Certificate of Citizenship.

Whatever your reason for your name change, Social Security is here to help you with the new… you! Fill out the form online and follow the instructions to ensure your Social Security card is delivered in a timely manner. You can also locate your local field office so you can apply for your updated card and show your required documents in person.

For complete instructions, visit our Social Security Number and Card page, which includes information for non-citizens. And remember, if you simply need to replace a lost Social Security card, but don’t need to change your name, you can — in most states — request your replacement card online using your personal my Social Security account.

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: , , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications


  1. Nitsa S.

    how do I have federal income taxes deducted from my monthly social security payment?

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Nitsa. In order to have taxes withheld from your Social Security benefit, you must start by printing, completing and submitting an IRS Voluntary Withholding Request Form (Form W-4V). On this form, you can choose to have 7, 10, 12, or 22 percent of your monthly benefit withheld. The Form W-4V (to withhold federal taxes from your Social Security benefits) can be returned to your local Social Security office by mail or in person. See our Benefits Planner: Withholding Income Tax From Your Social Security Benefits web page for more information. We hope this helps.

  2. Kelly A.

    I have not been able to access my Social Security account. I requested a code to reset my password but after 2 attempts to reset my password, it keeps locking g me out of my account.. HELP please !!

  3. Pamala J.

    I just received my Medicare card. I turn 65 this month. They put Pamala R Edwards on my card. My name is Pamala J Edwards. Do I have to go to the social security office to change this , or can I do it on line? Thanks Pam

  4. Donna S.

    I need to get a new social security card. I lost my wallet and it was in it. Can I do this online?

  5. Guy J.

    Hi I applied for a copy of my SS card and have never received it. It’s been over 2 months ago. Does it take this long?

  6. Jaime B.

    una nueva tarjeta que se me rompio

  7. KIM M.

    Yes I need to change my address my old address was 904 Russell St Cedartown Ga 30125. Now my new address is 344 West Avenue Apt #405. CEDARTOWN GA 30125 I WOULD SURELY BE GRATEFUL THANK YOU KIMBERLY MOLOCK

    • Vonda V.

      Hi Kim. If you get Social Security benefits (retirement, survivors, or disability) or are enrolled in Medicare, you can create a my Social Security account to change your address online.

      If you get SSI, do not have a U.S. mailing address, or are unable to change your address online, you can:
      •Call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.; or
      •Contact your local Social Security office.

      If you do not receive Social Security benefits, SSI or Medicare, you do not need to change your address with us.

  8. Eluzabeth S.

    I have changed my middle name initial since I became US Naturalized citizen. I already went to the SSA office in Panorama City, in April 2018 and notified them of my middle name changed, of which I have also received an updated social security card sent to me. However, I have received my Medicare card this month with the old middle initial/name, not the one when I became a naturalized citizen. How can I update my Medicare card as I’m turning 65 in April? Please advise.

    • Vonda V.

      Hi Eluzabeth, thank you for your inquiry. Unfortunately, for your security, we do not have access to your information in this venue. To inquire about what is needed to update your Social Security records, you will need to contact your local Social Security office or call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213. Representatives are available to help you Monday through Friday between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.

  9. Mary W.

    I need a new Medicare card “B” for hospital only coverag. I have not retired yet and I did not get the new card. Thanks.

  10. Bruce R.

    Can I get a new social security card?

    Bruce R. Joyce
    Bruce Rogers Joyce
    *** – ** – ***

    , GA
    912 634 4759

    • Vonda V.

      Hi Bruce. First, realize you may not need a replacement card. You will rarely need to show it. Knowing your Social Security number is what is important. However, if you must get a replacement card, you may be able to apply online. If you do not qualify to apply online, then you can apply by mail or visit your local office with required documentation. All documents must be either originals or certified copies. To learn more on how to get a replacement card and see if you can apply online, please visit our “Social Security Number and Card” web page.

      Just a reminder – Please be cautious about posting personal information on social media.

Comments are closed.