Online Services, Social Security Number and Card

Need to Change Your Name on Your Social Security Card?

October 9, 2018 • By

Reading Time: 2 Minutes

Last Updated: November 3, 2023

A stack of social security cardsAre you changing your name? If so, let Social Security know so we can update your information, send you a corrected card, and make sure you get the benefits you’ve earned.

To change your name on your card, you must show us documents proving your legal name change and identity. If you are a U.S. citizen, you also must show us a document proving your U.S. citizenship, if it is not already in our records. You must present original documents or copies certified by the agency that issued them. We can’t accept photocopies or notarized copies.

To prove your legal name change, you must show one of the following documents:

  • Marriage document.
  • Divorce decree.
  • Certificate of naturalization showing a new name.
  • Court order for a name change.

To prove your identity, you must show an unexpired document showing your name, identifying information, and photograph, such as one of the following:

  • U.S. driver’s license.
  • State-issued non-driver’s identification card.
  • U.S. passport.

If you don’t have one of those documents available, we may be able to accept your:

  • Employer identification card.
  • School identification card.
  • Health insurance card.
  • U.S. military identification card.

To prove your U.S. citizenship, you must show one of the following documents:

  • U.S. birth certificate.
  • U.S. Consular Report of Birth Abroad.
  • U.S. passport (unexpired).
  • Certificate of Naturalization.
  • Certificate of Citizenship.

Whatever your reason for your name change, Social Security is here to help you with the new… you! Fill out the form online and follow the instructions to ensure your Social Security card is delivered in a timely manner. You can also locate your local field office so you can apply for your updated card and show your required documents in person.

For complete instructions, visit our Social Security Number and Card page, which includes information for non-citizens. And remember, if you simply need to replace a lost Social Security card, but don’t need to change your name, you can — in most states — request your replacement card online using your personal my Social Security account.

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: , , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications


  1. Lourdes

    Hello, I was born in Miami, Florida in 1966. However, when I got married in 1994 I changed my last name from maiden to married. I am still happily married but I am also a Spanish citizen (dual citizenship) and I have my maiden name on my Spanish passport, I am going to request adding my maiden name back to my USA passport so that I have both my maiden and married name on it (no hyphenation). Since there is no divorce or legal name change in my case, and my original SS card had my first middle and maiden last name, what documents do I need to bring to my local SS office to request reinstating my maiden name to my SS record so that I can obtain a new card with my first, middle initial, maiden last name and married last name?
    I have my official birth certificate which also has an Apostille from 2011, this birth certificate shows my maiden last name, and I also have my marriage certificate which shows my married last name.
    Any suggestions would be most appreciated – I have already checked the FAQ section you recommend frequently but it does not answer my question. I’d like to be prepared to go to my local SSA office. Thanks in advance 🙂

  2. Robby C.

    It’s pretty worth enough for me. In my opinion, if all webmasters and bloggers made good content as you did, the web will be afantasy sport

  3. Joseph B.

    Why do I have to submit a form to Social Security, because someone changed my last name years ago, without my authorization? Social Security shouldn’t have changed my last name without notifying me first. Now someone might have stolen my last name or changed my last nameillegally.

  4. Eugene &.

    To change my address at the social security office, all I need to bring is my social security card and senior citizen identification card?

    • Vonda V.

      Hi Eugene. If you get Social Security benefits (retirement, survivors, or disability) or are enrolled in Medicare, you can create a my Social Security account to change your address online.

      If you are unable to change your address online, you can:
      •Call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.; or
      •Contact your local Social Security office.

  5. Jean C.

    I was married and got divorced I have not changed my social security card what do I do to get a new social security card. I have been filing my irs taxes with no problem all that is incorrect is my social security card

  6. Lise M.

    I need a new soc. sec. card.
    my card reads: Lise M LaPerle
    RFD#3 West Hill Barre Vt. I married on, October 10Th in 1965.
    My name is now : Lise Marie De Serres
    70 Bridge Street, South Barre VT.

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Lise Marie. You cannot apply for a replacement Social Security card online, when changing your name. In order to change your name on your Social Security card, you must show us a document that proves your legal name change. If the document you provide as evidence of a legal name change does not give us enough information to identify you in our records, you must show us an identity document in your old name (as shown in our records), and another identity document with your new name. We prefer a government issued document with your picture, as proof of identity. Any document you submit, must be an original or certified copy, current (not expired) and show your name, and other identifying information (date of birth or age). We offer the option to mail your completed application with original or certified documents to your local Social Security office or nearest Card Center in your area. Just a reminder – please be cautious about posting personal information on social media. We hope this helps!

  7. Herschel V.

  8. beverly D.

    I’m trying to enroll in Medicare, but having trouble creating account. It may be that my last married name (I’m now divorced) is on record, but I only have my original SS card, which is my current name. How can I verify which last name is on record?
    Thank you.

  9. Kris H.

    Le taxi s’arrête un peu plus loin, et recule pour prendre son client,

  10. Heather H.

    I need to change my last name on my social security card due to divorce how long after doing this do I need to wait to file my taxes?

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Heather. Once you’ve submitted all the needed documents to your local Social Security office, it can take up to 10 business days from the date we received the application to mail a replacement card. You may wish to wait until you receive the new card to ensure your record has been updated. We hope this helps.

Comments are closed.