Online Services

National Social Security Month Shines a Light on Our Online Services

April 5, 2018 • By

Reading Time: 2 Minutes

Last Updated: November 3, 2023

woman sitting by fireplace on her laptop In April, we celebrate National Social Security Month, and highlight our agency’s mission and purpose. We’re with you throughout life’s journey — from birth, to marriage, and into retirement — and we’re always searching for ways to give you easy and secure access to everything we offer.

We are constantly expanding our online services to give you freedom and control in how you wish to conduct business with us. Our online services help you plan for the future and keep you in control of your benefits. You can go online to:

  1. Find out if you qualify for benefits.
  2. Use our benefit planners to help you better understand your Social Security protection.
  3. Estimate your future retirement benefits to help you plan for your financial future.
  4. Retire online, or apply for Medicare quickly and easily.
  5. Open your personal my Social Security account. Your personal account is the most powerful tool to help you stay in control of your Social Security record. If you don’t receive benefits yet, you can:
    • Get your Social Security Statement to review your earnings, make sure they’re recorded correctly.
    • Get a benefit verification letter to prove you don’t receive Social Security benefits or that you applied but haven’t received an answer yet.
    • Request a replacement Social Security card if you meet certain requirements.
    • Check the status of your application or appeal a decision.

If you receive benefits, you can:

  1. Change your address and phone number.
  2. Get a benefit verification letter to prove you receive Social Security benefits, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), or Medicare.
  3. Start deposits or change your direct deposit information at any time.
  4. Get a replacement Medicare card.
  5. Get a replacement Benefit Statement (SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S) for tax purposes.

Do you own a business? You can also use our Business Services Online suite to report employee wages and verify names and Social Security numbers for W-2s.

Join us and celebrate National Social Security Month by seeing everything you can do online!

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: , , , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications


  1. Michelle C.

    I receive my deceased husbands Survivor Social Security Benefits. I was on SsI for 25 years. When he passed away they switched me to his SS benefits. I am living under the poverty level. My husband worked for ILA for 16 years. I am being told by his employer that I will receive his pension when he’s old enough to retire, which is in 2027 . I’ve read their pension book and it says if a widow is on Disability for 7 yrs. or more has been married to her husband for 1 or more yrs. and he has at least 10 yrs. where he made all his hours she is entitled to an ( his) early pension . Has anyone heard of this? They told me no its not true? I read it in THEIR pension book. It also says that his beneficiary gets a survivors check that can be taken in a lump sum or monthly ? I signed paperwork to be his Life Insurance and pension beneficiary a year after we were married , after he passed I went to the ILA office to sign beneficiary forms and was told he changed it in December 2015 ? To my knowledge they are supposed to make the employee have that person sign off to change her? They wouldn’t give me any information on who it was , why he was able to change me without signing off . Does this sound wrong to anyone else? Also they gave his sister his Longshoremans card that always go to next of kin , the collection from his coworkers supposed to be for my children and I . The Funeral Parlor Owner never tried to contact me to ask me what I wanted to do with my husbands remains that is called Sepulcher. I was legally married to him , was in a state of shock, they had a lawyer lie to me and tell me a half hour after I found out of my husbands death that I had to sign over full custody to his sister that his job gave everything else to or they wouldn’t release his body from Coroners. I refused to sign but I know someone forged my name and she ended up looking like I did give her full custody. He never told me he changed me to her and I found the papers that said he was on short term disability nand his Life Ins. went from Cigna to Hartford that he had to fill out form and give to ILA office by January and it wasn’t filled out ? Also his business agent said he had the paperwork saying I was the beneficiary? Something went terribly wrong, all of this is so obvious that my name was forged . What do I do? I don’t know who , when or how but I know my husband passed and everything I was entitled to went to his sister. Can someone give me advice?

  2. david b.

    need to change bank acct number to new number in order to continue to receive benifts

  3. Robert N.

    I sent in a form almost 3 months ago requesting my benefits retroactive to Sept 2017. Got a call 3 weeks later to verify my request and was told that it would be forwarded to the payroll department. I have heard from no one since that time.

    I would like to get my retroactive benefits – PLEASE contact me. 281-770-6150

    • Ray F.

      Hello Robert. Unfortunately, but for security reasons, we do not have access to personal records in this blog. Please continue working with your local office. You can request to speak with the manager to see how we can help to expedite resolution of your situation. If you are unable to visit the local office, you can call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213, representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Generally, you will have a shorter wait time if you call later during the day or later in the week. Thanks.

  4. Patricia T.

    I was locked out of my social security online account. I drove a long way to the SS office and was given a reset code.

    SSA Online access is blocking me saying I have to wait for SSA to send me something!!!!

    May I please have access tom y account?

    • Ray F.

      We apologize for the inconvenience, Patricia. If you are still having trouble accessing your account, please call our dedicated my Social Security-Hotline. To reach this hotline, call 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. At the voice prompt, say “helpdesk”. Thanks!

  5. Danny L.

    QUESTION: Can the SSA assist/advise any information
    REF Senior Assisted Living Housing? Or
    Contact the Veterans Administration Dept.
    if recipient is a disabled veteran for
    affordable senior living housing?

  6. Richard C.

    I am at wits wend with social security in Rochester NY. I have not heard back from them in many months after I provide a signed income statement form my auditor firm.
    They keep on rejecting my appeal to their assessment that my income is $210,000. I provided all of the necessary paper work to prove that my income is nowhere near what they believe. At this point, SS owes me over $1000 and I hear nothing from them. I need resolution.

    • Ray F.

      We apologize for any inconvenience, Richard. We have referred your complaint to our Operations staff to follow up and to take corrective action as necessary.
      We appreciate your feedback, and thank you for bringing this to our attention.

  7. cecelia p.

    Haven’t been able to log in to my account for mos. Tried to get a new password on line 3 times…no success. Called and waited 2hrs to talk to a real person to change my address and was told I would get a notice in the mail with password….nothing in the mail. I do have a user name. What can I try next?

    • Ray F.

      We’re sorry that you had difficulty accessing your account, Cecelia. If you are still having trouble accessing your my Social Security account, please call our dedicated my Social Security-Hotline. To reach this hotline, call 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. At the voice prompt, say “helpdesk”; or contact your local Social Security office. Thanks!

  8. Diane C.

    My birthday was in beginning of April and I didnt receive my new SS card. Should I be concerned? Thanks Diane Menzaco

  9. Perry S.

    Trying to figure out why my social security monthly check is less this year than the previous year. I began drawing in July 2017 after my June 1 70th birthday

  10. David K.

    How to go paperless

Comments are closed.