262 thoughts on “National Social Security Month Shines a Light on Our Online Services

  1. I signed up for SS retirement benefits earlier this week. I tried to sign up for Medicare today but could not. I received a message that the information I entered differed from what is on file.

    Can I sign up online for Medicare, or do I have to call the number for SS.

    • Hi David. Generally, individuals receiving Social Security benefits are automatically enrolled in Medicare Parts A and B. If you are at least 64 years and 9 months old and indicated on the retirement application that you didn’t want Medicare, and have since changed your mind, you should contact Social Security. Please call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) . Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. or contact your local Social Security office.

  2. I am unable to get thru by phone, My medicare coverage begins Oct 1,2018.I received a bill of $402 to be paid by 9/25/18. I need to be able to pay this monthly and not quarterly.Please advise how I can do this,or if I can make an appointment to speak with someone at your office.

    • Hi Elissa. If you get Social Security, Railroad Retirement Board (RRB) or Civil Service benefits, your Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance) premiums will get deducted from your benefit payment.

      If you don’t get Social Security payments, RRB, or Civil Service benefits, you’ll get a bill called a “Medicare Premium Bill” (CMS-500). Medicare offers four ways to pay your Medicare bill.

      If you have specific questions about your bill or the status of your Medicare coverage, call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY: 1-800-325-0778). Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.

  3. I have been on hold for more than one hour. The clock just clicked to 7 p.m. Eastern. Will someone still come on the line?

    • Hello Gary. Individuals already receiving Social Security benefits, and becoming eligible for Medicare, will be automatically enrolled in Medicare Part A (Hospital Insurance) and Part B (Medical Insurance). Generally, the card comes in the mail within three months before the month these individuals become entitled to Medicare benefits.
      We hope this information helps!

  4. I am trying to change my address from the address which is on file, Greece, to a U.S. address.

    Please advise how I can do this.

    Thank you

  5. Above, you state: “Get a benefit verification letter to prove you receive Social Security benefits, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), or Medicare;”

    Emphasis of the word, “GET” leads me to believe I will learn where to go to GET such letter. So, I click on the link, go to a web that gives me the definition of the “Benefit Verification Letter” that I need to “GET”.

    All I GET is a definition as to what such a letter is, and why I might need one, and am summarily DUMPED INTO CLOSING THE WINDOW no further ahead as to where I go to GET that blamed letter. Did you make it this difficult on purpose?

    I’m going to leave my email address in the hopes someone will send me a link as to where I can GET the Benefit / Award Letter.


  6. My names is James Cheatham and my wife’ was drawing disability when I got my disability and at the time we did not have a child to support now we have a child to support and my wife does not get disability benefits and I have wrote the Sherman social security office asking for them to mail me the forums I need to get my pay raised we can not live on a little more then five hundred dollars a Monty all I receive is 415 dollars a month after they take out my medicare payment and I should qualify for medicare and medicare please mail me what ever forums I need to fill out to 1825 meadowlark LN Dennison TX 75020 thank you James Cheatham social security #*** – ** – ***

    • Thank you for contacting us, James. Unfortunately, and because of security reasons, we do not have access to personal records in this blog and cannot assist you.

      To inquire about potential benefits for your child, you will need to contact your local office or call our toll-free number at 1-800-772-1213. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.

  7. Since 12/21/2017 I have been attempting to get a new password to log into my SSA. I sadly forgot my password and as you know when you go to reset the password it must come by US Mail. I never get the new letter. I have requested this 4 times according to the list of canned email’s I get back. The email always says: “Please follow the instructions in the notice to complete your request.” What notice? I am currently on hold with SSA with a recording that my approximate wait time is 2 hours!!
    Please help.


Leave a Reply - (comment policy)

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *