60 thoughts on “ It’s National Social Security Month!

    • Hello Karen. Social Security Disability Benefits are paid to people who are unable to work because of a medical condition that is expected to last one year or more or to result, end in death. Social Security pays only for total disability. No benefits are payable for partial disability or short-term disability.
      We pay disability benefits through two programs: the Social Security disability insurance program (SSDI) and the Supplemental Security Income (SSI). The Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program is a needs-based program that pays benefits to disabled adults and children who have limited income and resources. SSI benefits also are payable to people 65 and older without disabilities, who meet the financial limits. Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits, on the other hand, are based on your years of work and recent earnings, and are not subject to income and resource limits.
      If a person thinks that he or she meets our definition of disability, we encourage them to apply for disability benefits as soon as they become disabled. You can apply online, which is quick and easy. For more information visit our “Frequently Asked Questions” web page on disability.
      We hope this helps!

  1. I’m 62 and currently waiting on my appeal for disability. Can I file for SS in the meantime without affecting my disability appeal? We are getting desperate.

  2. I worked for Federal Government agencies for 30 years. After my having suffered a major stroke in 1994, I was no longer able to work. At the time of the stroke, I had not earned quite enough needed quarters to be eligible for receiving social security. When I was growing up and working and living in South Carolina, with my having to work and provide for my mother an my sisters and brothers, I was not paying social security, which is now causing me to suffer. Can I be helped at all?

    • Hello Hattie. The Supplemental Security Income program pays benefits based on financial need. Please call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 and speak to one of our agents. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.
      Also, some individuals may also be eligible to receive social services from the state in which they live. These services include Medicaid, free meals, housekeeping help, transportation or help with other problems. You can get information about services in your area from your state or local social services office. Or you can visit the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services web page for more information.
      We hope this information helps!

Leave a Reply - (comment policy)

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *