With the New Year Comes New Changes

3 elderly menMonthly Social Security and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits will see a slight increase in 2017.

Some other adjustments that take effect in January of each year are based on the increase in average wages. Based on that increase, the maximum amount of earnings subject to the Social Security tax (taxable maximum) will increase to $127,200 from $118,500. Of the estimated 173 million workers who will pay Social Security taxes in 2017, about 12 million will pay more because of the increase in the taxable maximum.

Thresholds for benefits will change slightly next year including the Substantial Gainful Activity (SGA), SSI Federal Payment Standard, and SSI Student Exclusion.

Information about Medicare changes for 2017 are available at www.Medicare.gov. For some beneficiaries, their Social Security increase may be partially or completely offset by increases in Medicare premiums.

The Social Security Act provides for how the Cost of Living Adjustment is calculated. To read more, please visit www.socialsecurity.gov/cola.

Learn more about the resulting changes at our factsheet on the subject: www.socialsecurity.gov/news/press/factsheets/colafacts2017.pdf.


200 thoughts on “With the New Year Comes New Changes

  1. I do not call the INCREASE from 104.90 to 134.00 FAIR for Senior Citizens!!!! WE have to get a supplement besides what we pay thru or SS Check….THEN on top of that it does not even cover the cost of a Procedure we have to have!!! Example; Cataract Surgery; After ALL that I PAY I Had to also PAY an amount of $634.00 & $384.00 for prescriptions out of Pocket!!!! ALL this on SS?? What about Eating, Gas, Gas, Electric, Water ETC.?????? We worked for the funds we get from SS. hat about ALL THE PEOPLE WHO NEVER WORKED AND GET MORE THAN THE SENIORS????? I DO NOT WANT TO PAY FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVE NOT EARNED THE RIGHT!!! When we do not have the funds to live on who helps the SENIORS????? WE STILL HAVE ALL THE EXPENSES THAT EVERYONE ELSE HAS, BUT CAN’T GET A DECENT INCREASE WITHOUT THE GOVERNMENT TAKING IT AWAY???

    • Hi Sharon, when there is an increase in the Medicare Part B premium, a statutory “hold harmless” provision protects approximately 70 percent of Medicare Part B enrollees from paying a higher Part B premium to avoid reducing their net Social Security benefit. Enrollees not protected include higher income individuals subject to an income-adjusted Part B premium and beneficiaries newly entitled to Part B in 2018. Additionally, enrollees who have their Medicare Part B premiums paid by state Medicaid agencies will see no change in their Social Security benefit. The state will pay any Medicare Part B premium increase. See more at http://www.CMS.gov

    • Hi Warren! Generally, the day on which you receive your Social Security benefit depends on the birth date of the person on whose work record you receive benefits. For example, if you receive benefits as a retired or disabled worker, your benefit will be determined by your birth date. If you receive benefits as a spouse, your benefit payment date will be determined by your spouse’s birth date.
      See “Schedule of Social Security Payments” for more information.

  2. I’m not under standing I have work sent I was 14years old I got layed off . From a job I worked 22 1/2 years can find a job in the kind of work I was doing because of my age and arthritis that I have in my legs and left hand. And can’t afford medical insurance with what I receive from social security benefits of $845.00 and was. Told I don’t qualify for SSI benefits, don’t qualify for medical, food stamps or any thing. And I’m looking at all these young people and people from other countries that recivie housing,food stamps ssi , any help they ask for .while I was working I did the paper work for man/women the was getting help and they made more money then I did some of them would help me with my work because the pain would be so bad with my arthritis and swollen feet and hand. I guess I’m just upset /depressed because I’m seeing so much going on . And every were I go I’m getting turned down . Need to have a hernia removed but can’t afford it so I just lay in pain . And pray that something will change for the better. I guess I’m writing this because its been on my mine for so long and needed to let it out

    • Hi Denise, please check and see if you are eligible to receive social services from the state in which you live. These services include Medicaid.
      You can get information about services in your area from your local social services office. Or you can visit the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services web page for more information. We hope this helps.

  3. How much substantial earnings need to be for 2019 to qualify for another year to offset the Windfall provisions when a worker earned a previous pension?

Leave a Reply - (comment policy)

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *