Social Security Is There For Those Who Served Our Country

July 24, 2017 • By

Reading Time: 1 Minute

Last Updated: July 24, 2017

girl and man in wheelchair The men and women who served our country in the military can count on Social Security to be there for them throughout their lives.

Active duty military members earn credits toward Social Security retirement benefits. Wounded Warriors can receive expedited handling of their claims to receive disability benefits. We also provide survivor benefits for young children and spouses of veterans who have died.

You can learn more about how Social Security helps our veterans build a secure financial future for themselves and their families on our veterans page.

Our newest initiative, Journey to Success: Employment Tools for Veterans with Disabilities, is a five-part online guide that helps certain disabled veterans return to fulfilling employment in the American workforce. The guide highlights resources, such as career counseling, job training, employment services, and more.

We know some veterans suffered injuries so severe they cannot return to their previous work. However, for those veterans who are interested in testing their ability to find and maintain gainful employment, these resources can help. We thank all members of our military and veterans for their service and sacrifice.

To learn more about our programs and benefits, visit our website.

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!


See Comments

About the Author

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications


  1. MSgt B.

    I am a twenty eight year military veteran. I am 77 years old and my wife is 49. We have been married for ten years. When I die will she be entitled to any compensation other than the $225 fee that has been paid to the spouse for many years. She certainly can live on that amount. She needs a monthly income. Please advise

    • Vonda V.

      Thank you for your service, MSgt Bobby Conant. Your wife’s survivor amount would be based on your earnings. The more you paid into Social Security, the higher her benefit will be. If you are already receiving benefits when you die, survivors benefits are based on that amount. The percentage of that amount that your wife would receive depends on how old she is when she files as a widow. We are only going to pay the highest benefit amount from either record, meaning you don’t get both retirement and widow(er)s benefits but the higher of the two.

      Widows benefits are payable as early as age 60 (for a reduced benefit) or a full widowers benefit at full retirement age or older.

      Use our Survivors Planner to look at how your family members are protected if you die.

  2. Aaron T.

    Can a non service connected. Vet apply for and get disability and I’m of the age of. 60 years. Old and wonder do I have to wait till 65 to get benefits.
    I’m also currently disabled.
    Please reply an answer.

    • Luis A.

      Hi Aaron. Please note that Social Security pays only for total disability. No benefits are payable for partial disability or short-term disability. You may read more about our disability benefit programs on our webpage titled Benefits Planner: Disability. We hope this helps.

  3. Michael H.

    How do I know if I am receiving credit for active duty military time on my SSI. Have been collecting for 10 years now.

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Michael. If you are referring to military credits, under certain circumstances, special extra earnings for your military service from 1957 through 2001 can be credited to your record for Social Security purposes. These extra earnings credits may increase the amount of your Social Security benefit. Special extra earnings credits are granted for periods of active duty or active duty for training. They are not granted for inactive duty training.

      For more information on special extra earnings for military service, visit our Benefits Planner:Retirement page. We would be happy to review your record to ensure that you are receiving what you are entitled to. For assistance, you can call our toll-free number at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778). Representatives are available Monday through Friday between 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. Generally, you’ll have a shorter wait time if you call later in the day. Thanks.

  4. Joseph C.

    I heard that being a Vietnam Veteran that I qualify for one hundred dollars a month from Social Security

  5. Tonya I.

    Checking on my status

  6. Samuel F.

    Is it true my earned social security will be reduced, because I spent 20 years in the Navy a d draw a pension?

    • Ray F.

      Thank you for your service to our country, Samuel. Great question! Social Security and the U.S. Armed Forces provide separate benefits. Generally, there is no reduction of Social Security benefits if you receive benefits from the military.

      • Victor R.

        Iam 90 percent combined on VAnow Iwas accepted to be disablewill any of the payment will be reduce

Comments are closed.