Supporting the Americans with Disabilities Act

Woman in wheelchair smiling using smartphoneSocial Security is committed to the principles and spirit of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) to improve the lives of our beneficiaries and our employees who have one or more disabilities.

You may not like to think about the possibility of becoming disabled. However, if sometime in the future you find that you’re unable to work because you have a disabling condition that’s expected to last at least one year or result in death, then the thought will become a reality that you need to address.

When people become disabled under the strict statutory definition Social Security must follow, Social Security helps them meet their basic needs and sustain a higher quality of life. Our disability program provides financial and medical benefits for those who qualify, to pay for doctors’ visits, medicines, and treatments. It’s important to note that twenty-year-olds have a one in four chance of needing our disability programs before they reach retirement age.

We pay disability benefits through two programs: the Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) program and the Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program. The SSDI program provides benefits to people who are disabled or blind, and who worked and contributed to the Social Security trust fund as required by the Federal Insurance Contributions Act. The SSI program makes cash assistance payments to people who are aged, blind, and disabled, who have limited income and resources. The SSI program is financed by general tax revenues, not the Social Security trust funds.

Our disability programs continue to be a mainstay in the lives of many people – people just like you. What makes their otherwise similar stories unique is that they live with debilitating conditions that inhibit their ability to work. Social Security disability beneficiaries are among the most severely impaired people in the country.

Our Faces and Facts of Disability webpage highlights the real life stories of people who have disabilities. We invite you to learn the facts about the disability insurance program, and see and hear these stories of hardship and perseverance.


75 thoughts on “Supporting the Americans with Disabilities Act

    • RE: Health and Welfare. 9th Ed. Book 3. Hospitals & Asylums. HA-26-7-15 226 pp

      To amend Chapter 3 National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers:

      Free Disability Insurance Reallocation Tax (DIRT) Act:

      To immediately amend the DI tax rate from 1.80% to 2.30%, from 0.90% to 1.15% for employees and from 0.90% to 1.15% for employers under Sec. 201(b)(1)(S) of the Social Security Act 42USC(7)II§401 and amend the OASI tax rate from 10.60% to 10.10%, from 5.30% to 5.05% for employees under 26USC(C)(21)(A)§3101 (a) and from 5.30% to 5.05% for employers under 26USC(C)(21)(A)§3111 (a) to avoid depletion of the Disability Insurance (DI) Trust Fund in 2016 without increasing the overall 12.4% OASDI or 15.3% OASDI and Hospital Insurance (HI) tax-rate under 26USC(A)(2)§1401 beginning October 1, 2015.

      To amend the DI tax rate again in 2018 to 2.20% from 2.30%, from 1.15% to 1.10% for employees and from 1.15% to 1.10% for employers under Sec. 201(b)(1)(S) of the Social Security Act 42USC(7)II§401 and amend the OASI tax rate from 10.10% to 10.20%, from 5.05% to 5.10% for employees under 26USC(C)(21)(A)§3101 (a) and from 5.05% to 5.10% for employers under 26USC(C)(21)(A)§3111 (a) without increasing the overall 12.4% OASDI or 15.3% OASDI and Hospital Insurance (HI) tax-rate under 26USC(A)(2)§1401 to maximize efficiency until a deficit appears in the OASI Trust Fund in 2019.

      Without Income Limit Law (WILL) Act:

      To abolish the maximum taxable limit on DI contributions on January 1, 2016 and OASI contributions January 1, 2017 and repeal Adjustment of the contribution and benefit base Section 230 of the Social Security Act 42USC(7)§430.

      To require the Social Security Administration to pay for SSI Costs beginning January 1, 2017. To share profits in excess of social security program costs to the general fund of the U.S Treasury on a sliding scale beginning year end 2016 DI 50/50 with the USPS, and OASI 10/90 to eliminate the federal budget deficit. In 2020 OASI would share at negotiated rates an estimated 25/75, by 2025 OASDI would share 50/50 and by 2030 OASDI would save to pay for the peak in costs of Baby Boomer generation in 2035 that might raise the overall OASDI tax rate from 12.4%.

      To limit Health and Human Services spending to less than $1 trillion. To require the Department of Agriculture (USDA) to hire an actuary to sustain Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program (SNAP) growth in an annual report to Congress. To require the Veteran’s Administration (VA) to hire an actuary to account for service member contributions and matching funds in an annual report to Congress. To replace welfare Administrative Law Judges (ALJs) with licensed social workers and non-social worker representatives.

      To provide Medicaid for free to everyone earning less than 150% of the poverty line and open Medicaid to reasonably priced premiums for everyone else. To prohibit medical billing to nationalize health insurance assets. To ratify ILO Conventions 132, 156 and 183. To levy a 1% UN FICA and corporate income tax for world-wide welfare in 2020.

      Be the Democratic and Republican (DR) two party system Abolished, referred to the Actuary, Commissioner and Trustees (ACT).

      • tony sanders,
        i hope you understood everything you just posted, the average person reading this can NOT!

        paragraphs are way too long hindering comprehension too.

        bullets would be helpful to emphasize things, and shorter paragraphs! grrr.

        bettyg, iowa

      • I trying to get my daughter help with my 8yr granddaughter she has Congenital heart failure just recently had a stint put in her airway she was born with congenital heart failure why is this child not getting disability? She cannot do the things a normal kid can do.

        • We are sorry to hear about your granddaughter’s medical troubles. Children who are disabled may be eligible for Supplemental Security Income (SSI). At this time, only the Child Disability Report can be completed online. Your daughter will still need to complete a Supplemental Security Information (SSI) application at the local office . Once you or your daughter complete the online disability report, please call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) between 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Friday to have one of our representatives schedule an appointment for you with your local office to complete your SSI application. Generally, you will have a shorter wait time if you call later in the week. We hope this information helps.

      • Yum — thanks William! You can participate in our celebration by sharing your story about how Social Security has made a difference in your life. We look forward to many more years of serving you in the future.

  1. I am legally blind – I am on Medicare and Medicaid – my physician states I need in-home care. Why am I not receiving this benefit ?

    • Thanks for your question. For your security, we do not have access to personal records in this venue and can only give you general information. To request more information about Medicaid or Medicare, or to ask about services such as free meals, housekeeping help, transportation, or help with other problems, please call the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services at 1-800-633-4227 (TTY, 1-877-486-2048).

  2. why dont you encourage whistleblowers and help me get to orlando fl or wherever i need to be so i can work. with no strings attached. i do not want to throw away my career because after i was denied at my last hearing. all of a sudden in the middle of a title vii ada lawsuit im litigating, im approved for ssi. i still haven’t touched it and the guy that burrell had set up as “my payee” kicked me out the day i agreed and have been living on the streets since then. how about a plane ticket and hotel room? ive done enough whistleblowing, i stink and have been sleeping outside for weeks. i was in a coma 2 years ago with 14 broken bones and a traumatic brain injury. and because of my disabilitiy and because i complained of discrimination my former employer decides to retaliate, rob all my clothes, i haven’t even had a toothbrush in two weeks. and larry wilson kicked me out the day i agreed to let him be my payee, that was burrell behavioral healths decision. and guess what he has an apartment next to my former employer. that keeps refusing me anything or money. how am i supposed to get where i am suppossed to be so i can work? This isnt what the government was supposed to do. take careers and not provide job security. if i had a family worth a damn id ask them oh but they could never give a damn. they need to be charged with fraud i was in a coma when my mother i hadnt seen in years signed me up for social security. and ive not taken any money from your program

    • Lester, I’m not an expert here but much of what we experience is due to our state of residence. It sounds as though you have a payee, and in those cases they are certified through the State Human Services. As a person with a disability you are considered a vulnerable adult. Based on the information you have provided, and if I was in your situation, I would start with filing a complaint with your local law enforcement (police) office. From there, I would hope that they would connect you to two resources. The first, a temporary shelter for persons with mental health disabilities. Second, law enforcement are required abuse reporters, and would refer you to a county Adult Protection Services case manager. Third, if you have a YMCA they may be able to assist you in getting the basics, e.g. showers.

      This is all conjecture on my part. I am fortunate to live in a State/County that mandates the provision of temporary shelter/housing to all persons, especially those wit a mental health disability. If you reside in a small town, the cards may be stacked against you. However, you are your best advocate. Proceed with caution, staying in as rational of a mind as possible. This will be a tremendous and effective approach in asking for what you need.

      Best of Luck to you

  3. I am 75 and have been on Social Security when I was Disabled in 1989. I receive Medicare and I pay for part B, how ever I do not have enough income to purchase Life Insurance and have No back up Insurance, but the State Of Maryland keeps turning me down for Medicaid saying I have too much income. My wife gets $342.00 SOC. SEC. And I only receive $1261.00. Is there any program that will let me go to Doctor and Our Blood Pressure Medications?

    Thank you for your time in this matter.
    Rev. Ronald Conley, D.D.

    • You should have Medicare A and B. This will give you 80% insurance coverage. Medicare Part D will give you drug coverage

    • how would u like trying to live on 720.00 a mo and that’s ss and ssi yea that’s my income if I had the income u have I would be thanking god every day move to florida and that would maybe a diffrant amount but being marred u get less if u live togather I know that’s how it is here in florida if I was in ur state I would be on the streets and I work ever since I was 16 and this is a slap in the fase

    • Hi Ronald, thanks for your question. Anyone who has Medicare hospital insurance (Part A), medical insurance (Part B) or a Medicare Advantage plan (Part C) is eligible for prescription drug coverage (Part D). Joining a Medicare prescription drug plan is voluntary, and you would pay an additional monthly premium for the coverage, but you may be able to get extra help paying for the annual deductibles, monthly premiums, and prescription co-payments related to the Medicare prescription drug program (Part D) if you have limited income and resources. To get extra help with Medicare Prescription Drug plan Costs, you can apply online. Also, we offer Medicare Savings Plans to help people pay for Part B premiums.

      To request more information about Medicare, please call the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services at 1-800-633-4227 (TTY, 1-877-486-2048). We hope this helps.

  4. Dont believe in article that ssa support disabilty act, I been going to mental health facility appt. For over 8 yrs was diagnosed with major depression disorder, and my mental health doctor even wrote statement saying am under medical care unable to work, case been denied all the way to federal court level, now I got to start over,so no ssa dont care am also diabetic and suffer high blood pressure and have bell palsy. And non of this cover me to receive what I work for.

  5. I am considered disabled due to osteoarthritis and a neurological disorder. I have a handicap placard for permanent disability. I do not always park in a handicapped parking space if there is a non designated one that I can park in and make it to my destination using my cane. I figure the extra distance helps me keep up my endurance and leaves the handicapped spot for someone that is is worse shape than myself and may have to deal with a wheelchair for themselves or for a child in order to get to their destination. I have a grandchild that has spina bifida and her mother has to lift her into her wheelchair and assist in getting her ready to take in to the doctor or shopping. I am asking that those that have a handicapped placard to think if you are having a good day to leave the limited parking spots open for those wrestling with their impairment as well as their equipment to perform everyday activities. Please call the non emergency police number and report people without placards or tags for handicap parking if they are violating the laws and parking illegally. If you see someone who has parked in regular parking, but display handicap tag or placard, please give them ample room between your car and their doors so they can remove their canes, walkers or other devices from their car without bumping your car with their door. Be thoughtful and remember this could be you or one of your loved ones trying to maintain a normal life with the limitations they have. Don’t violate the law if you are able bodied but have a placard because you assist someone who needs it but they are not with you at the time. Be kind and considerate! What goes around comes around! Pay the respect and kindness forward.

    • I totally agree with drivers leaving enough space between cars to be able to get wheelchairs, walkers, etc out of handicap vehicles. People need to know that parking on the stripes is illegal, as is parking in a handicap spot with no proof of being handicapped. Police will ticket someone parking illegally on the street, but not in parking lots because they consider them private property. If someone is going into a public store, how can it be that the parking lot is private?

  6. I was put out of work, 5 years ago due to a visual processing issue . It has now morphed into a hearing processing issue and exhaustion as well. I also provide supports for my kids who have issues as well, although my oldest is now on her own. My husband works two jobs as I can not work and still no social security, although I’ve been applying and appealing for five years..

  7. My Grandson is ADHD, lives with, and helps with the care of, his disabled mother (on Social Security). A high school dropout, and he actually gets violently ill at the thought of going to work (violently as in vomiting and body aches). What I’m asking is: What kind of monetary assistance would this kind of person qualify for? He’s had jobs like a stocker at Wal*Mart, had the job for a few months… got himself fired. This is how it goes, when someone does give him a job, he manages to make a few pay checks, and then he manages to get fired.

    • Terry, we are very sorry to hear about your grandson’s condition. He may be able to qualify for disability benefits under the Social Security Disability Insurance program based on his own or his mother’s work. He may also be able to qualify for disability benefits under the Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program, which is needs based. If your grandson thinks he is disabled, he should call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., Monday through Friday, to have one of our representatives schedule an appointment for him with his local office.

    • It sounds like your grandson might have more going on than ADHD- possibly social anxiety disorder(?) I went through what you are describing with my son. He is bi-polar, alcoholic, has had depression and social anxiety issues. He went through the total process and several appeals with a lawyer ending in a final denial with a judge. He does get medical assistance, food assistance. He is right now in long term chem dependency treatment and we are hopeful his job history will improve when he gets out. Good luck. No easy answers but I can understand your frustration.

  8. The Americans with disabilities act, the social security administration and Texas DARS programs have been absolutely no help to me, whatsoever! Worthless expenditure of taxpayer money, they are all too busy handing out the money to recovering drug addicts and fraudsters. I was born with cerebral palsy and social security has never given me a dime! I’ve applied and they keep denying me because of pathetic excuses. I’m so tired of hearing about how social security helps disabled people, THEY DO NOT help those truly disabled people that need help the most!

  9. Hi, I am BIG SUPPORTER of SSDI program because for one.

    I’ve been on SSDI (recipient) for many years as well as working part-time for almost two (2) year at a local hotel in case something goes bad. That way SSDI pension is my back-up source of income.

  10. Back in the year 1974 I was in a severe motorcycle accident which, due to head trauma caused me to become comatose and have seizures. I am currently taking medication for my seizures but I still have seizures. I cannot work because of my seizures and have applied for S.S. for the last eleven years and have been denied all along. I have gone to hearings and have been denied because the S.S. judge says I don’t have sufficient proof to be approved. I have hospital records, I have prescription medication records, I have neurologist records, I have eye witnesses, and I even have a recording of a seizures and the judge said it could be me acting and that it was not sufficient proof. What should I do invite him to come stay at my home and witness it himself? Any suggestions would be helpful.

    • Sandra, we are very sorry to hear about your current health condition, and we understand your frustration. You have the option to appeal the hearing decision. You may ask the Appeals Council to review your case within 60 days of receiving the decision from the judge. You cannot file this type of appeal online. If you need help requesting a review, please contact your local Social Security office, your local hearing office, or call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) Monday through Friday between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.

      A representative familiar with Social Security’s programs can provide a valuable service to you. However, the decision whether or not to seek the services of a representative (attorney or other qualified person) is up to you. More information about representatives can be found in our publication, “Your Right to Representation.”

      If your disability claim is not approved after you appeal, be sure to apply for Social Security retirement benefits when you turn 62.

  11. why doesnt medicare cover personal assistant services? i think it is unfair that one has to be medicaid eligible to get a personal aide.

    • Thank you for your question. To get specific information about Medicare and Medicaid, please call the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services at 1-877-267-2323 (TTY Toll-Free: 866-226-1819). In addition, you may be eligible to receive social services from the state in which you live. These services include, free meals, housekeeping help, transportation or help with other problems. You can get information about services in your area from your state or local social services or welfare office. We hope this helps.

    on my 1st ssdi claim, admin law judge denied me; lawyer asked for a copy of the hearing tape promptly so he could prepare a brief to go to appeals council.

    ssdi/dds/alj staff NEVER sent him or me a copy of this tape. so lawyer NEVER sent a brief to AC.

    then lawyer quit me 4 yrs. into this after my 2nd ssdi claim was filed.

    i waited 2.5 yrs. for AC to review my COMPLETE file.

    lawyer sent a copy to all parties saying he was no longer my lawyer and would NOT be receiving any compensation for anything.

    so AC didn’t have to REVIEW MY FILE since lawyer DIDN’T FILE A BRIEF, so they just looked over aljudge’s denial and agreed. WHY?

    i also asked alj’s office for a copy of my 1st taped hearing; no one acted nor did AC do anything to help me or replied.

    i had 2nd aljudge hearing by teleconference representing myself. he said it would take MONTHS before i heard anything. SURPRISE…HE APPROVED ME in 1 wk. after 5 yrs. going thru all this hell.

    however, since i had to file 2nd ssdi claim, it didn’t go back to ORIGINAL dates i was disabled; started from time of 2nd ssdi claim!

    anyway, i’m complaining because my 1st case was in AC 2.5 yrs. on a shelf; then they DIDN’T look at my 2″ medical files full of documentation and SUPPORTIVE RFC, residual function capacity forms from several drs. grrr!

    i also feel it would be helpful to explain WHY DUPLICATE FORMS are sent over & over; what is the reasoning for this. please have an ARTICLE addressing this!
    bettyg, iowa

    • james, ssdi leader,

      you/your staff have NOT replied to my request for info detailed in the above; i’d appreciate an answer since you/other staff members have ANSWERED other people’s replies.

      thank you very much 😉

      bettyg, iowa…5 yrs. to be approved for ssdi benefits after working 30.5 yrs.

      • ssdi staff,

        STILL WAITING for you to reply to my 1st note above … thank you as you did reply to all others asking questions.

        bettyg, iowa

        • They answered with general information. Obviously they can not look in to your specific claim with out personal info , which I hope you would not provide here. The answers that others got pertain to you as well.
          and not to be crass, but as far as not getting your records, sounds to me that , by your own words that your lawyer didn’t request them … so they cant provide something that wasn’t asked for. You can request them yourself under the FOIA act, it cost 10 or 25 for a cd of your medical files. im not sure of the exact price.

  13. I am not such a supporter of SSI benefits. As a social worker who works for the Early Intervention program in NYC evaluating children under the age of 3 years; I see many parent’s collecting SSI benefits for their children who are speech impaired and learning disabled. These children are not eligible to work so why are they receiving benefits? I can see an Autistic child who is severe in his/her diagnosis and will never be able to work receiving the benefit or a child who is wheelchair bound or has a chronic medical condition receiving it. Parent’s want to keep their children disabled just so they can receive the benefit. Does this not deplete the system?

    • Because it impairs their ability to go through school and learn properly and , for parents with low income, help support some of the medical costs/home mods needed.
      Also, your statement is as though they get the benefit for life. Not true. Read some of the SSI Spotlight on this webpage

  14. In 1980 I was told I had Multiple Sclerosis. I was a stay home Mother for my children. I had no signs of a disability until about 8 years ago. I was a “stay at home Mom” to my 4 children. They are all grown now and I’ve tried to apply for any assistance and have been turned down. it seems that a “stay at home Mom” is nothing in the eyes of the government. There are teens and 20-30 something’s that qualify with a splinter, but someone who is paraplegic and in a wheelchair as I am, is ineligible. I’m 63 and would like to be able to feel there is help out there. Where do I go?

    • Debbie, we’re very sorry to hear about your current health condition. In order to be insured for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI), you had to have earned at least 20 quarters of coverage in the last 10 years. SSDI benefits are based on earnings and not subject to income and resources. If you do not have enough credits to be eligible for SSDI benefits, you may be eligible for Supplemental Security Income (SSI). The SSI program is a needs-based program that pays benefits to disabled adults and children who have limited income and resources. SSI benefits also are payable to people 65 and older without disabilities, who meet the financial limits.

      You also have the right to file an appeal within 60 days from the date you received your letter explaining our decision. If your application was denied for medical reasons, you can file an appeal online. If you need help with filing your appeal, please contact your local Social Security office.

  15. I am disabled but I do recent years of income, my question is Can I collect disability on my husbands Social Security?

    • Thanks for your question, Teresa. In certain cases, the spouse and children of a disabled worker may be able to receive family benefits. In order to qualify for your husband’s disability benefits, you must be at least 62 years of age and collecting a lower Social Security benefit based on your own earnings record. The spouse benefit amount will be permanently reduced by a percentage based on the number of months up to your full retirement age.

  16. I am writing on behalf of my grand daughter. SHE IS 8 years old And was born at Shands she were born with 4 hokes in heart heart she had open heart surgery but the problem is not resolved she also has Respertory breathing difficulty which one side of her lungs has blood and she has trouble breathing. When walking ,reading or talking she has been to Shands hospital 6 times to try and help correct the problems other words she has Congenital heart failure. SHE ON HER 7 trip back to the hospital for surgery to try to open her tubes to help her breath better My question is why can’t she get disability? Has been denied 3 times.this child condition may improve some but she has been struggling to breathe and cannot do what normal kids do .

    • Dorothy, we are sorry to hear about your granddaughter’s health. Please keep in mind that the Social Security Act sets out a very strict definition of disability. Social Security pays only for total disability. No benefits are payable for partial disability or short-term disability — the condition(s) must have lasted, or be expected to last, at least 1 year or result in death. You or her parents can file an appeal on behalf of your granddaughter, but you must file your appeal within 60 days from the date you received the denial notice. You can file her appeal online. For more information on the appeals process, please read our publication ”The Appeals Process”.

  17. My son is 56 years old and has worked since he was 15 until the last 3 years. He lost his job with Mental Health when they went private. He has been diagnosed with Diabetes and has not been able to afford good health care. This has caused his body to deteriorate to the point that he is not able to work. He is working parttime as a pizza delivery person and they are very patient with him on days that he cannot seem to make it. Is there any way he can receive any benefits? Thank you!

    • Helen, we are sorry to hear about your son’s difficulties. Social Security pays only for total disability — no benefits are payable for partial disability or short-term disability. Disability benefits are paid to people who are unable to work because of a medical condition that is expected to last one year or more or to result, end in death. We pay disability benefits through two programs: Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI). The Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program is a needs-based program that pays benefits to disabled adults and children who have limited income and resources. Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits are based on earnings and are not subject to income and resource limits. If you think your son is disabled under our rules, you can help him apply for disability online.

  18. I worked 40 years and recently became disabled and have been approved for benefits. I have legal custody of my 3 grandchildren now 8, 10 and 12. I’ve had custody for 5 years now, I pay all expenses and am responsible for these children as if I was their actual mother, actually more than the biological parents. When I went to apply for benefits I was told my legal custody doesn’t matter but if I were a step parent, with no legal papers, I could receive benefits for these children. When I asked why I was told stepparents pay 50%. Well I pay 100%! I found a Social Security Bulletin Vol 71, No. 1, 2011, A Profile of Social Security Child Beneficiaries and Their Families: Sociodemographic and Economic Characteristics, Table 1 clearly states; “Eligible Parent” can also be a grandparent if the child is under the grandparent’s legal guardianship. SOURCE: SSA 2010b. When I spoke with the local office they refused to take the time to apply because I would be denied. I need to know how to pursue this.

    • Hi Karen, thank you for your comment. Under current law, Social Security can only pay benefits to grandchildren if certain conditions are met. In addition to providing for more than 50% of their support as you are doing now, the biological parents of the children must be deceased or disabled, or you must have legally adopted them. See “Benefits For Grandchildren” for more information.
      However, you have the right to file an application for benefits for your grandchildren and receive an official denial of your claim from Social Security, which will provide you appeals rights, if in case you wish to seek legal advice to verify our decision.
      For more information and to make an appointment, please call our 1-800-772-1213 toll free number. Representatives are available Monday to Friday, between 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. You will experience shorter waiting time if you call later in the week. We hope this helps!

      • Thank You For your response. I’m still confused why SS bulletin vol 71 states an eligible parent is a grandparent with legal custody then the other information contradicts that bulletin. I also don’t understand why a biological parent must be deceased or disabled if they are not a part of the child’s life.

    • Wow, going through the same thing. I am a “working disabled” that entered into a custody arrangement with my youngest son so that he could go into the USMC back in 2010. He was declared disabled by the Federal government. We share custody. He has a TBI, Epilepsy, and PTSD< from a work related injury and declared 90% disabled. My granddaughter was born out of wedlock and the mother lost custody after being homeless. She is bi-polar and absolutely no work history. She has never filed for SSI so there is no determination. I was told today I would have to adopt her. I do not understand why I have to adopt my grandchild to get help for her when I already hold legal custody. Being as my son is disabled and I am considered an "eligible parent" by federal law, I am dumbfounded by the double-standard that "both parents" have to be disabled. The mother does not support the child and has another child. She collects state welfare benefits. I cannot get help feeding her because I have assets. I have reason to believe my son's disability is so significant he may not be able to understand the financial needs of his Veteran Disability Award. The VA has not processed his claim for his children and I cannot get him to do so, and I have tried repeatedly.

  19. I applied for ssi and or ssdi a couple years ago and was denied both times.I left work in 2008(layed off) & moved to TX. 2009.May of that year I broke my ankle in two places & doctor told me after several visits to keep it elevated and compresses on it(did that) for months and into 2 years without very much relief as I had no insurance,at the time of his visits(paid him though). Then applied to Tx. Dars & they wanted expert X-Rays of my situation and was deemed by their doctor of referral that I had to have an ankle fusement operation-which I did and was very painful and long period of trying to recooperate.The operation did more harm than good did not fix the problem as intended to.Doctor disabled me ,100% as not being able to stand for very long ,hip problems aching all the time ,depress,and he is no longer practicing any longewr because of his age. Then Dars sent me to another specialist for X-Rays and he confirmed that the operation did not take right andThe operation I received hadn’t been done for over 6 years .ago.He then said he could do another operation,but there would be no gaureentee that I would be any better so I decided that I have and am suffering enough from the !st. operatin to go thru that again with no garentee .So still in pain ,not able to work for 7 yrs. at the age of 60 & 8mo. old,and emotionally very depressed also.What can I do.SSI office said I can’t collect because my husband makes over the income limit,this was my earnigs,not his & worked darn hard for it ,at Ak. on fihing boats,and driving trucks,working at mines,mechanical helper,and other jobs ,please explain why I’m not eligible. Thank you,Debra.

  20. I have been disabled since 1996 and receive SSDI benefits. I have been living in a Project based Section 8 apartment since 2000 when I was approved by HACLA/Housing Authority and supplemented rental payments by HUD . About 4 years ago I got an ADA approved Service Dog.

    My question is this: As you know per HUD requirements, an annual re-determination happens. At that time generally so long as you are still disabled and not receiving a large increase in earnings you will be re-approved for another year. I have been re-approved for 15+ years. Another part of the re-determination is the monthly rental amount, which is determined by calculating expenses that are deducted from income to come up with the correct rent amount for the upcoming year. Deductions approved are such things as out-of pocket medical expenses, milage for medical transportation expense, paid for prescriptions and so forth. This past hyear my service dog almost died due to a very serious infection and the medical/prescription/hospital expenses were huge relative to my monthly income. Somehow I was able to cover these bills over a 6 month period last year (this year as far as reconciliation is concerned).

    Are these medical expenses for my service animal allowable toward the expenses in my current reconciliation due October 1, 2015?

    • I am in the same boat, except my USDA housing mgt. co. did not tell me that my service dog’s medical expenses and others were deductible in my rent. I have had him for 7 years and paid all out of my own pocket. They tell me now that they knew his expenses were deductible all along, but they don’t know if they have to reimburse me for the past 7 years.. I am calling the ACLU for help.

  21. What i’m trying to understand is why I keep getting denied? Three years ago I had a stroke. I have been a diabetic for years though. Because of the stroke, I found out that I have CHF…my doctor informed me that my heart rate was only 11% in 2014….has not changed…keep in mind that social security denied me because of my age,, I’m 33 years old..was 30 when I had first found out about CHF. I’m tired…I just need help badly…I have been turned down from getting help to take this to court,,mainly because everybody keeps saying ‘they are back up”..I don’t know what to do anymore..

    • Hi Robin. We are sorry to hear about your medical condition and that your application for disability benefits did not go the way you had hoped. The Social Security Act sets out a very strict definition of disability. We pay benefits to individuals who have a medical condition that has prevented them from working or is expected to prevent them from working for at least 12 months, and their medical condition or disability is expected to last at least one year or result in death. We use the same five-step process to make a decision on each application. If you do not agree with our decision, you have the right to request an appeal, but must request an appeal within 60 days from the date you receive your denial letter. For more information, read “The Appeal Process”. If you need help with filing your appeal, you can contact your local Social Security office.

  22. Question I fell three and a half stories.. I wasn’t able to go to a social security office because of my injuries. I could year-and-a-half later. When I went to the Social Security Office and applied for disability I receive disability in three weeks. At the time I was 61. So Social Security disability gave me my 62 retirement. Now when I reach my 66 retirement will I receive that amount my lawyer at the time said when I reach 66 that I would receive that amount. Is this true

    • Hi Michael, Social Security disability benefits automatically change to retirement benefits when disability beneficiaries attain their full retirement age (Currently 66). Benefits are not interrupted with this transition and the benefit amount will generally remains the same.

  23. People with disabilities deserves this kinds of benefits. The government knows their needs to improve the quality of lives. What is the requirements to support what kinds of disabilities you has?

  24. How to ensure the beneficiary is the one who are benefiting with the cash that the program gave? Like the person with disability is blind or minor? Is minor part of the program? Thank you.

  25. I live in the County of Henrico, Virginia. It’s located directly right outside the city of Richmond. I live in a condo community with my wife. We had the ability to purchase the place we live with monies we received from death in her family. I am disabled and was given that status as of 2000. This was due to a workplace accident that happened when I was a Juvenile Corrections Officer. I’ve had several surgeries and as of this date am no longer able to walk more than a few feet, and cannot stand for more than about 2 minutes. I also have other medical issues that have began to rise due to the original workplace accident. The condo community where I reside has begun re-paving all the driving and parking areas here. My problem is this. The section that we live in has experience limited access to vehicles, as we were issued parking assignments several minutes from our condo door. No access to emergency help i.e. rescue, ambulance, fire, to our home and lack of help for necessities such as groceries etc. Is there anything that can be done concerning this situation as it still is ongoing and has been for more than 2 plus months now. And we have not been told as to when this will come to an end. What legally can or should have been done concerning this problem. And how should I go about dealing with any in the future????

  26. If I am a grandparent raising my granddaughter and her parents are on drugs, is that considered a disability? My husband has cancer and may die. I want to know if I can get Social Security for my granddaughter if he should die. I live in Utah.

    • Hi Sherri! Under current law, Social Security can only pay benefits to grandchildren if certain conditions are met. In addition to providing for more than 50% of their support as you are doing now, the biological parents of the children must be deceased or disabled, or you must have legally adopted them. See “Benefits For Grandchildren” for more information. In the other hand, the Social Security Act sets out a strict definition for disability. We pay disability benefits to people who are unable to work because of a medical condition that is expected to last one year or more or to end in death. We hope this information helps.

  27. I am on a Medicare advantage plan. I have permanent nerve damage in both of my feet and in my tail bone area. I wanted to go my doctors appointment and while I was on his patient portal email site I asked him if he could accommodate me with a place to lie down while I waited as I can only stand or sit for about a half hour at the most. He told me he couldn’t do that. I have only seen him once before an he let me do this. Now I guess I won’t be able to see him again. What can I do?

  28. Hello my name is Laura Teekell,
    I am writing on behalf of my brother Barry K Fox.
    He is currently receiving SSI and is on Medicaid and Food stamps. However, he is needing extra help with paying his monthly utilities and buying other daily hygiene needs as wells as paper goods. He only receives a little of $700 a month in SSI along with his Food Stamps that is just not enough to live on. His rent is $500 and his utilities can run up to over $300 depending on the season and the month. He is not married, has never been married and has NO children. He live along. My mother and my self sometimes has to help him with his monthly bills as well as other expensives that he just can not afford or pay. He had to cancel a doctors appointment for today due to he did not have the gas nor the money in order to pay for the doctor visit even though he has Medicaid. I am asking if there is a way that the State of Louisiana or the Government can help my brother.
    He is totally 100% disabled and has been for over 27 years due to a motorcycle wreck. He is paralyzed from his waist down, but is able to walk with a cane, but with a pigmentation. He has rods and pins in both legs. He has to self catheterize himself daily. He takes medicine for bladder spams, among other medicines He can drive. Its just so difficult with just receiving a little over $700 a month that things are tough and hard to live daily on a normal level with someone that can afford to pay all his bills and still have a little money to buy gas or other stuff he might need

    Thank you in advance for taking the time out of your daily schedule to read over my message and respond or reply back to me.

    • Thank you for contacting us, Laura. Your brother may also be eligible to receive additional assistance from the state where he lives. These services include Medicaid, free meals, housekeeping help, transportation or help with other problems.
      You can get information about services in your area from your state or local social services office. You can also visit the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services web page for more information.
      We hope this information helps.

  29. I THANK All That ARE taxes that we put into are retiriment system is by usa citizans ..nothing is coming from goverment ..ecept a very blindsided ..over zellous money hungery greedy banks investors ..If there were any system that should be protected .this would be the one ..i am disabled taking care of the disabled lover and all my money gose for us 2 two0 i worked all my life 54 credits . lost my heath care and in less than a year cause i reported my income every 2 weeks to the wrong person ..there is a very fine line to are retirement system and alot of mis guieded and un purp[ose not allowing any one person the knoweledge of the Most wonderful retirement programes around and for all your callers are not knowledable and i belive that if ssa sadi ssi should give all disabled and retirees a DVD >>FIGURE IT OUT U ALL >ITS A WOMANS WORLD >>SYTEM LACKS >>THE NEW WORLD AND IT LAKES MORE POTENAIL WITH UP TO DATE AND LOOK INTO A NEW WORLD UP DATE >>ALL THIS IS #RD GRADE LOGIC >>THINGS HAPPEN TO THE BEST PEOPLE AND YET UR STUCK ON SOS >>WHY NOT HEAR ARE ISSUES PRIOR TO GETTING AND RECIVEING BENFITS STOP PUNISHING PEPLE FOR assets proir to waiting 4 years and look at the know like up date events like fannei make takes ur home landlord floods apts .people take identys and yet u dont care ..please understand life events chage every day by day and if any body has issues prior to recdieving benifts mayby they need a grace period to allow themm to get back on therte feet before u cut that person off ..ty ..IAM SO MAD at are system its a new world times DID CHANGE >>GOT IT

  30. It took over 4 years for me to be granted disability. I lost everything my home cars motorcycle at 51 years old i was living on the street. I had begged for ssi…….why did i not get any help?

Leave a Reply - (comment policy)

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *