Social Security Number and Card

Social Security Implements Self-Attestation of Sex Marker in Social Security Number Records

October 20, 2022 • By

Reading Time: 1 Minute

Last Updated: October 20, 2022

Social Security Administration LogoKilolo Kijakazi, Acting Commissioner of Social Security, announced that we now offer people the choice to self-select their sex on their Social Security number (SSN) record. We implemented this policy change and the new option is now available.

“The Social Security Administration’s Equity Action Plan includes a commitment to decrease administrative burdens and ensure people who identify as gender diverse or transgender have options in the Social Security Number card application process,” said Acting Commissioner Kijakazi. “This new policy allows people to self-select their sex in our records without needing to provide documentation of their sex designation.”

People who update their sex marker in our records will need to apply for a replacement SSN card. They will still need to show a current document to prove their identity, but they will no longer need to provide medical or legal documentation of their sex designation now that the policy change is in place.

We will accept the applicant’s self-identified sex designation of either male or female, even if it is different from the sex designation shown on identity documents, such as a passport or state-issued driver’s license or identity card. SSN cards do not include sex markers. Currently, our record systems are unable to include a non-binary or unspecified sex designation. We are exploring possible future policy and systems updates to support an “X” sex designation for the SSN card application process.

Tags: , , ,

Comments

1. Sarkari R.

I agree with you, God does not make mistakes. I am over people changing our constitution, history, an other things just to accommodate a few. She explained about the whole matter, you just said it’s about one case, there’s no comparison with the topic. I totally agree about the line of teaching academics.

2. Kh

From reading the majority of comments it is clear that this is a waste of money, you send money on this and deny benefits for the real issues we face in retirement!
    If you want to know what I “identify as” ? How about “sick of the stupidity”!

• Albert E.

Right on! How about”sick of all the “wokeness” stupidity and the “new” definition of the word “equity “? Don’t try to force your liberal agenda on me.

3. Tony

When people update their address or marital status, they don’t need to apply for a replacement SSN card.

Why does updating your sex marker requires application for a replacement SSN card when the new SSN card doesn’t even show the sex marker?

It will cost taxpayers thousands or millions of dollars processing and mailing replacement SSN cards.

• Tony

In previous blogs, the SSA said people don’t need a replacement SSN card unless the change their name or when finding employment.

How come the sex marker is an exception where they have to apply for a replacement SSN card that will cost taxpayers thousands or millions of dollars when it doesn’t even appear on the new SSN card?

• Victoria C.

They have to update the information. Not necessarily have a new card sent. Also, in many cases, transgender individuals do legally change their names as well. Your argument is invalid. Would you also be angry with people who lose their cards by carelessly keeping their cards in their wallets to be lost or stolen? Should we be outraged that when women get divorced and change their name back to their maiden name because they no longer want to be associated with the married last name? Why don’t they just keep the last name the same until they die or remarry? I mean, that is costing money too no?

4. Harrison H.

I have two daughters aged 16 & 14 whose father passed away. They receive survivor benefits that come in my name and their name. Well recently their older sister (25) has been telling them that the checks that come is theirs to spend on whatever they want. I’ve tried explaining to them that the checks are to help pay the bills since their father is no longer here to help pay the bills. They get almost everything they ask for and the bills are paid. But ever since their sister told them this, they fight me and say they are going to live with their sister because she will give them their whole check. Can their sister get their checks from me and could you tell me if the money is for bills or for the children to go on a shopping spree?

• Ann C.

Hi, Harrison. We are sorry to hear about your situation.  Yes, it is possible that benefits be paid to the sister if the children live with her, and she has legal guardianship. Generally, we pay the benefits to the family member who is the primary care provider of the children. Keep in mind a representative payee must use the benefits to pay for the beneficiary’s needs and solely for that purpose. For more information about representative payees, please visit our When People Need Help Managing Their Money page. If you have additional specific questions, you can call us at 1-800-772-1213, Monday through Friday, between 8:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m., for assistance. You can also contact your local Social Security office. We hope this helps.

5. mohammad.iqbal.mughal.

my.name.is.mohammad.iqbal.mughal.ima.world.service.aurthey.wsa.human.riugst.world.passport.holder.my.world.passport.no.317373.thes.yeras.2022.i.appled.in.uscis.green.card,citizanshep.ssa.ssc.no.A.no.and.other.decouments.plese.hilp.me.and.ifarmation.me.plese.infarmation.me.my.ssc.nothinks.

6. lee w.

The lunatics have taken oven the asylum again and again and ………….

• TIMOTHY B.

100% Agree with you. Stupidity at its height.

7. Sonam B.

I think this is a very forward movement to accepting people as they are with regards to gender identification. I get it that this is hard for some who are not understanding this topic. I appreciate from my experience with my clients in my practice how beneficial a change like this may be. Thank you.

• KH

If they need acceptance then they do need a therapist. This is not the place to seek treatment for a mental disorder and it’s only making their illness worse to falsely validate it.
      Treat them so they can accept the truth.

8. PL

How exciting, thank you! This is fantastic news for so many people I know. I personally look forward to the implementation of an X option, so that all of my ID documents will finally match. Thank you for all your work on our behalf!

9. ANITA k.

Why is a govt agency catering to mentally disturbed people who the science experts have proven this is a pyscological problem? Who have provided numerous medical papers that show without a doubt there is no medical basis whatsoever this problem is associated with anything pyhsicial and only mentally. This only shows that by our govt supporting this they are also supporting and encouraging another govt agency: Educational System undermining what parents are forbidding teachers to stop allowing their own personal views that cross the line of teaching academics only? They are required to teach academics and nothing more. Again govt agencies and the civil servants work for the PEOPLE and are paid by the PEOPLE. Exactly why the Constitution was written for the PEOPLE.

• jeanl

ANITA k, obviously you are unaware that sometimes children are born without a clear distinction in their outer sexual organs between a male or female. The doctor declares what he/she thinks is the better option. I know of sometime who was declared female at birth, likely because there wasn’t a fully formed penis. “She” always wore boys’ clothes & refused to wear a dress even to be an attendant in sister’s wedding. In “her” 30s, genetic testing showed XY chromosomes. This person had been male from birth!

• Bianca

• LJ

For the people and by the people. Guess what? Trans people are actually people too. The people includes everybody. You seem really judgmental. Like you think trans people are below you. They’re not.

• Cindy M.

I agree with you, God does not make mistakes. I am over people changing our constitution, history, an other things just to accommodate a few. I personally think there are much greater issues that need to be addressed in this day an time

10. Hetro M.

This is great. Let a person choose what sexual identity they prefer. Seems change is hard for conservatives.

• CCau

How much is this going to cost in administrative time and resources to accommodate these the people who require this?

• Weemaway

We don’t care. Just don’t pass law that restricts speech, like they tried to pull in Canada.

• Bob

No, being stupid is hard for conservatives.