Medicare

Sign up for Medicare Part B Online, by Fax or Mail

August 6, 2020 • By

For many people, signing up for Medicare Part B doesn’t require you to leave the comfort of home.  Please visit our Medicare Part B webpage if:

1. You are already enrolled in Medicare Part A.
  2. You would like to enroll in Part B during the Special Enrollment Period.

You can complete form CMS-40B (Application for Enrollment in Medicare – Part B [Medical Insurance]) and CMS-L564 (Request for Employment Information) online.

You can also fax the CMS-40B and CMS-L564 to 1-833-914-2016; or return forms by mail to your local Social Security office.  Please contact Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) if you have any questions.

Note:  When completing the forms:

• State, “I want Part B coverage to begin (MM/YY)” in the remarks section of the CMS-40B form or online application.
  • If your employer is unable to complete Section B, please complete that portion as best you can on behalf of your employer without your employer’s signature.
  • Submit one of the following types of secondary evidence by uploading it from a saved document on your computer:
    • Income tax returns that show health insurance premiums paid.
    • W-2s reflecting pre-tax medical contributions.
    • Pay stubs that reflect health insurance premium deductions.
    • Health insurance cards with a policy effective date.
    • Explanations of benefits paid by the GHP or LGHP.
    • Statements or receipts that reflect payment of health insurance premiums.

Please let your friends and loved ones know about this online, mail, or fax option.

Tags:

Darlynda Bogle, Assistant Deputy Commissioner

Darlynda Bogle, Assistant Deputy Commissioner

Darlynda Bogle, Assistant Deputy Commissioner

Comments

1. Kurma Sukkari Gresik

woooow… amazing posts, it really educates us and keeps us updated in day to day life!

Source: https://promokurmamurah.blogspot.com/

2. Jual Kurma Gresik

woooow… amazing posts,

Source: https://kurmasukkarigresik.blogspot.com/

3. Nate Green

That’s very important.

• Paul

spam link

4. Paul

If you sign up for part B during GEP you cannot state, “I want Part B coverage to begin (MM/YY)” in the remarks section of the CMS-40B form or online application.
    If you don’t sign up for Part B during your IEP, you can sign up during the GEP. The GEP runs from January 1 through March 31 of each year. If you sign up during a GEP, your Part B coverage begins July 1 of that year. You may have to pay a late enrollment penalty if you sign up during the GEP. The cost of your Part B premium will go up 10% for each 12-month period that you could have had Part B but didn’t enroll.

5. phyllis bennett

enroll in medicare part b starting 09/24/2020

Hi Phyllis, thank you for using our blog. Generally, individuals receiving Social Security benefits are automatically enrolled in Medicare Parts A and B. If you are at least 64 years and 9 months old and aren’t receiving Social Security benefits, you can apply for Medicare A and B online.

If you already have Medicare Part A and need to sign up for Medicare Part B, there are some forms that you will need to complete and submit. See our Frequently Asked Questions web page for options on how to submit those forms.

6. Doris Serra-Millares

Hello, I’m 78 yrs old. My name is Doris Serra Millares.
    I’ve had Medicare part A since I retired. I’ve never had Medicare part B because I couldn’t afford it. I don’t know how it is now buy I’d like to try.

Hi Doris, thanks for using our blog. In most cases, if you don’t sign up for Medicare when you’re first eligible, you may have to pay a higher monthly premium which is why we advise people to apply for Medicare benefits as soon as they are eligible. However, if you were covered under a group health plan based on your or your spouse’s current employment, you may qualify for a Special Enrollment Period (SEP) that will let you sign up for Medicare Part B. You have an 8-month SEP to sign up for Part A and/or Part B that starts at one of these times (whichever happens first):
      • The month after the employment ends
      • The month after group health plan insurance based on current employment ends.

Usually, you don’t pay a late enrollment penalty if you sign up during a SEP.

If you don’t qualify for an SEP, you will have to wait for the General Enrollment Period (GEP) to sign up. The GEP lasts from January 1 through March 31. Coverage would begin July 1. Most people who sign up for Part B during the GEP will have a 10 percent increase in monthly premiums for each 12-month period they did not enroll, but were eligible.

You can call us at 1-800-772-1213 for assistance or you can contact your local Social Security office. Please look for the general inquiry telephone number at the Social Security Office Locator. The number may appear under Show Additional Office Information. Please be aware that our call wait times are longer than normal. We hope this information helps.

7. ELIZABETH HIATT

I filed for my Part B on 9/15/20 and am wondering on the status of my application? Could someone please advise me of the status, I would like to start looking for advantage plans.

8. Peter Parker

I have completed the form and get registered. it is really helpful. now can i get many medicare facilities for my grand mother

9. Sandi

Can you hand deliver a Medicare B form to ones local SSA
    office?

Hi Sandi, thanks for using our blog. Check out our Frequently Asked Questions web page for details on the various options for submitting forms for Medicare Part B enrollment. We hope this is helpful!

10. Personal

I would like that my benefits be stopped as of Oct.21 because frankly I don’t think I am going to live that long I’ve received a prophecy regarding my death and so far I’m not going to make it to see my 42nd birthday which is in December. If I don’t get killed by the turn of the year then I’ll have my case reopened.