Online Services

See What You Can Do Online!

April 16, 2018 • By

Reading Time: 1 Minute

Last Updated: August 19, 2021

For over 80 years, Social Security has changed to meet the needs of our customers. Today, our easy, secure, and convenient-to-use online services allow you to do business with us from the comfort of your preferred location. From requesting a Social Security card to filing for retirement, our online services have got you covered. Check out our infographic, which shows what you can do online:

See What You Can Do Online, S S A Publication 05-10216, Infographic

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: ,

See Comments

About the Author

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications




    • Vonda

      We are very sorry for your loss, Lawrence. Typically, the funeral director notifies us of an individual’s passing by contacting the local Social Security office. There is a one-time lump-sum death payment of $255 that can be paid to the surviving spouse. You would need to call and make an appointment to file for that benefit. You can call your local Social Security office. Look for the general inquiry telephone number at the Social Security Office Locator. The number may appear under Show Additional Office Information. Please be aware that our call wait times are longer than normal.

  2. BRENDA C.

    I was told there was such a thing as a “do over” to increase social security payments. Is this true? I retired at 62 partly because of breast cancer.

    • Vonda

      Hi Brenda, thanks for using our blog to ask your question. If you apply for Social Security benefits and you change your mind about when they should start, you may be able to withdraw your Social Security claim and re-apply at a future date. However, if you change your mind 12 months or more after you became entitled to retirement benefits, you cannot withdraw your application. Also, keep in mind that you must repay all the benefits that you and your family received. For more information, go to our web page on Withdrawing Your Social Security Retirement Application.

  3. Robert I.

    I would like to know where my stimulus check went I’ve been on disability for 17 years everyone that I know that’s on disability has received their check they cannot garnish it or take it from me this time so I’m still waiting for a check

    • Vonda

      Hi Robert, thanks for using our blog. The Internal Revenue Service (IRS), not Social Security, issues the Economic Income Payments. Social Security cannot answer EIP questions about your specific situation. Check out our Social Security and Coronavirus web page for more details. We hope this helps.

  4. Jonathon P.

    Hi There,
    I am currently receiving soc sec benefits.. I was told at 65 I should apply for medicare…How do I apply?

    • Vonda

      Hi Jonathon, thank you for using our blog. Generally, individuals receiving Social Security benefits are automatically enrolled in Medicare Parts A and B. Check out our Medicare web page for more details. We hope this helps!

  5. Joyce C.

    Need to change my banking information for my direct deposit!

    • Vonda

      Hi Joyce, thanks for using our blog. Check out our Frequently Asked Questions web page for details on how to sign up or change direct deposit. We hope this helps!

  6. David H.

    My stepfather is 93 and is completely dependent on my 90 year old mother for all his daily needs including bathing, toiletry, driving to all appointments, feeding, dressing and just about any and all other needs. He will go to a care facility if not for her. Is she entitled to any extra income for assisted care?

    • Vonda

      Thanks for your question, David. We do not pay caregivers. However, she may be eligible to receive social services from the state in which she lives. These services include free meals, housekeeping help, transportation, or help with other problems. You can get information about services in your area from your state or local social services office. You can also visit the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services web page for more information. Thanks.

  7. Cathy H.

    Cathy Hewitt payee for RE: Joshua Johnson

    Joshua receives SSI Benefits but never received a stimulus check last year. Not sure if he was supposed to or not. He doesn’t file income tax but does have a bank account that his check is automatically deposited. He is 32 years old and lives with me(mother). Please advise if this is something he is able to qualify for.

    • Vonda

      Hi Cathy, thanks for using our blog. The Internal Revenue Service (IRS), not Social Security, issues the Economic Income Payments. Social Security cannot answer EIP questions about your specific situation. Check out our Social Security and Coronavirus web page for more details. We hope this helps.

      • Veronica s.

        How do i update account info on lost card for stimulus payment

  8. jeffrey k.

    I am 73. On Social Security since 62, early take. About to marry woman, 73 years old, on Social Security since age 68 whose monthly benefit is less than mine currently, pre marriage. Upon marriage does she get the same benefit as I?

    • Vonda

      Hi Jeffrey, thank you for the question. She may want to apply for spouse’s benefits on your record if the amount is higher than what she’s currently receiving. Generally, you must be married for one year before you can get spouse’s benefits. Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions web page to see how marriage can affect Social Security benefits. We hope this helps!

    • Joyce C.

  9. Annette


  10. Marda V.

    I was directed from two people from Social Security to fill out an SSA-44 form online. I did this several weeks ago and also mailed in extra proof which they asked for. Although I am married, I am reitred and my husband’s income dropped significantly over this past year becuse of Covid. He had no job. We fall into a much lower income bracket. Because of a definite income change I am appealing the amount I am being charged for Medicare. I have not heard back from anyone about this paperwork I have sent in. There have been no acknowledgement that my forms were even recieved. How do I know that this information was received by SSA?

    Thank you,

    • Vickie

      I actually call them when something like this happens to me, and I resubmit the paperwork. Good luck on resolution! God bless.

      • Vickie

        Also, you can use the “help” on the bottom right hand side of the screen to ask questions.

Comments are closed.