General, Online Services

See What You Can Do Online During National Social Security Month

April 4, 2019 • By

Reading Time: 2 Minutes

Last Updated: November 3, 2023

" "In April, we celebrate National Social Security Month by letting you know what you can do online with a personal my Social Security account. Last month we featured how you can replace a lost or stolen Social Security card, get a copy of your 1099 (SSA-1099), and check the status of your Social Security benefit application or claim. This month we share three more advantages.

If you already receive Social Security benefits, you can set up or change direct deposit information online with a personal my Social Security account. In most cases, you are required to receive federal benefits electronically, so when you choose direct deposit, we will electronically deposit your funds directly into a bank account. If you do not have a bank account, you can choose Direct Express® and your funds will be electronically deposited into a prepaid debit card account. Direct Express® has no enrollment fee or minimum balance requirement to open or use the account. We strive to provide online services that best suit when, where, and how you do business with us. You can set up direct deposit, or you can call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778). Visit our website to learn more about all of our online services.

Do you receive Social Security benefits (retirement, survivors, or disability) or are you enrolled in Medicare and getting ready to move?  You can change your address information online when you create a personal my Social Security account.

If you already receive Social Security or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits, you can create a personal my Social Security account and have instant access to your award letter or, as we call it, benefit verification letter.

Please know that securing your identity and personal information is important to us. We protect your information by using strict identity verification and security features. The application process has built-in features to detect fraud and confirm your identity.

Share with friends and family what you can do online with a personal my Social Security account.

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: ,

See Comments

About the Author

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications


  1. N

    Why is it so difficult to find “Award Letter”. This is the second time in 18 months that I a have to obtain one and I am confused. This should not be so difficult. I search and do not locate it. Maybe it is staring me in the face, but it should just pop up easily.

    Thank you! N

    • Luis A.

      Hi N. We are sorry to hear you are experiencing difficulties with your account. For help accessing your Award Letter, please follow these instructions located at my Social Security, or you may call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. At the voice prompt, say “helpdesk”; or you may also contact your local Social Security office. We hope this helps.

  2. Debra R.

    I’m just trying to get the form W4v and I don’t see where it says very simple…..just hit print and you have it???
    Can you send it to me or do is have to go to a Social Security Office? Can I get one at the library?
    Debra Roland

  3. Abot B.

    I have received two phone scam calls today. Just reporting as told.

  4. Ornate S.

    Where do you mail the W4v form for withholding changes?

  5. Gail D.

    Where do I find a W4V form on the website? Can you email one to me at Thank you. Gail DiPane

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Gail. In order to have taxes withheld from your Social Security benefit, you must start by printing, completing and submitting an IRS Voluntary Withholding Request Form (Form W-4V). On this form, you can choose to have 7, 10, 12, or 22 percent of your monthly benefit withheld. The Form W-4V (to withhold federal taxes from your Social Security benefits) can be returned to your local Social Security office by mail or in person. See our Benefits Planner: Withholding Income Tax From Your Social Security Benefits web page for more information. We hope this helps.

  6. Bernice

    I’m on social security and dating for a while. They’re also on social security. We discussed marriage and need to know if either of our ss payments received will change if we do so. Also, need to know the pros and cons of 2 getting married after being on SS separately for a while,

  7. Lela W.

    When my husband turned 65 he was automatically enrolled in part a and b for medicare. he dropped part b because he was using the Va facility for health and meds. Va is not reliable and he wants to sign up for part b again. When can he do that? He needs to see a local dr. and specialist. I can not make an account for him because they say we have the same address and will not sign him an account. He really needs the part b.

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Lela. First, thanks to your husband for his service to our country. Typically, if he applies after age 65, he can sign up only during the general enrollment period (GEP).The GEP lasts from January 1 through March 31. Coverage would begin July 1. Most people who sign up for Part B during the GEP will have a 10 percent increase in monthly premiums for each 12-month period they did not enroll, but were eligible. For more information about Medicare, check out our publication here. For specific questions about his case, he can call 1-800-772-1213, Monday through Friday between 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. and ask a representative to assist him, or he can contact his local office. We hope this helps.

  8. Judith F.


    • Ann C.

      Hi, Judith. Thanks for your question. First, realize that you may not need a replacement card. You will rarely need to show it. Knowing the Social Security number is what is important. To see if you’re eligible to apply for a replacement Social Security card online or to learn more on the process and what documents you will need to get a card please visit our Social Security Number and Card page. Keep in mind all submitted documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency and must (unless otherwise indicated) have been issued within the last two years. We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents. Once you’ve submitted all the needed documents, it can take up to 10 business days from the date we received the application to mail a replacement card. We hope this helps.

  9. pd

    social security month and your website is down can’t sign up just great get to stand in your crappy office on Monday

  10. Gordon P.

    I will be 65 in August, Can I sign up on line for Medicare? I received a W-2 reflecting income for taxes in Jan? It’s not on SS statement. What should I do?

Comments are closed.