General, Online Services

See What You Can Do Online During National Social Security Month

April 4, 2019 • By

Reading Time: 2 Minutes

Last Updated: August 19, 2021

" "In April, we celebrate National Social Security Month by letting you know what you can do online with a personal my Social Security account. Last month we featured how you can replace a lost or stolen Social Security card, get a copy of your 1099 (SSA-1099), and check the status of your Social Security benefit application or claim. This month we share three more advantages.

If you already receive Social Security benefits, you can set up or change direct deposit information online with a personal my Social Security account. In most cases, you are required to receive federal benefits electronically, so when you choose direct deposit, we will electronically deposit your funds directly into a bank account. If you do not have a bank account, you can choose Direct Express® and your funds will be electronically deposited into a prepaid debit card account. Direct Express® has no enrollment fee or minimum balance requirement to open or use the account. We strive to provide online services that best suit when, where, and how you do business with us. You can set up direct deposit, or you can call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778). Visit our website to learn more about all of our online services.

Do you receive Social Security benefits (retirement, survivors, or disability) or are you enrolled in Medicare and getting ready to move?  You can change your address information online when you create a personal my Social Security account.

If you already receive Social Security or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits, you can create a personal my Social Security account and have instant access to your award letter or, as we call it, benefit verification letter.

Please know that securing your identity and personal information is important to us. We protect your information by using strict identity verification and security features. The application process has built-in features to detect fraud and confirm your identity.

Share with friends and family what you can do online with a personal my Social Security account.

Tags: ,

See Comments

About the Author

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications


  1. Connie H.

    I will be turning 65 July 30, 2019. Already on Social Security. Need to enroll in Medicare. Please advise.

    • Vonda V.

      Hi Connie. If you’re already receiving Social Security benefits, you will be automatically enrolled in Medicare Parts A & B. You will receive a packet of information in the mail a couple months prior to your 65th birthday.

  2. GaryD

    I think I was hasty in grabbing my benefits before I quit working. Now I think the right thing to do is to suspend. Can I suspend online? Will my benefit increase when I resume collecting benefits? Is this a bad idea?

    • Luis A.

      Hi Gary, thank you for your question. Depending on when you applied for your benefits, you may be able to withdraw your Social Security claim and re-apply at a future date. However, if you change your mind 12 months or more after you became entitled to retirement benefits, you cannot withdraw your application. Also, keep in mind that you must repay all the benefits that you and your family received. For more information, go to our web page If You Change Your Mind. We hope this helps.

  3. Karen J.

    Is there anyone I can talk to about my SS benefit. I need to know if I should take early retirement or if I should wait.

    • Luis A.

      Hi Karen. Please bear in mind that the decision on when to start receiving retirement benefits is a personal one. We can only provide you with the information to help you make the best choice according to your own situation. To help you decide, please take a look at this publication. We hope it will help with your decision. If you have specific questions, you may call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213, Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. and speak with one of our representatives. Thanks.


    Thanks For this video

  5. ksg

    I requested a statement from social security on my disability benefits (in person ) at the SS office. This was in October 2018. I was informed that I would receive the information by mail in 8 weeks. As of today I have not received that information. I have called, emailed and have my US Senator write. The statement that was sent to my senator was not the information i requested. This was communicated to SSA and as of today they have not providedt the corrected information.

    • Vonda V.

      Hi there. For your security, we do not have access to your information in this venue. To inquire about the status of your request, you will need to continue working with your local Social Security office or call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213. Representatives are available to help you Monday through Friday between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.

  6. Angela B.

    Can I enroll for SS at the office?
    Can I enroll for disability at the SS office?

  7. Katherine

    Can the government attach a chip to your ss card with your dna id on it?

  8. Estelle

    I am trying to get a replacment Card for my 18 year old daughter so she can get an ID but I dont have any picture identification of her. I have her birth certificate and Nv Medicaid card. What else do I need?

    • Tabitha G.

      Hello, I also am trying to assist my son in getting a replacement card. Also have birthcerficate, medical (state issed Chip)ins card. He is not currently in school so no CURRENT identification. We were told by the Single employee of the Mckeesport office we need to have medical ins insurers, (Chip) print his DOB on his card. Desperately called Chip to request new card with DOB , Declined, stated never heard of such a request. Several phone calls , trips later he obtained school record an copy of old student Return to SS office , 3rd visit. Woman employee. Declined records we obtained.. My son in tears with desperation asked employee what else can he obtain or do..or provide ? She told him she is there to give information ONLY , NOT TO ASSIST HIM. Then rudely dismissed him. If you would kindly share any other items you know of or if had better luck. It would be SO APPRECIATED.

    • Vonda V.

      Hi Estelle. Because your daughter is 18 years old, she may be able to request a replacement card online. If she does not qualify to apply online, then she can apply by mail or visit her local office with required documentation. All documents must be either originals or certified copies. To learn more on how to get a replacement card and see if you can apply online, please visit our “Social Security Number and Card” web page. We hope this helps!

  9. Barbara Y.

    I get my own S.S. but my husband passed away in January and I would like to know if I should make an appointment for possible higher S.S. payment through my husbands.

    • Vonda V.

      Barbara, we are very sorry for your loss. If you already receive benefits as a spouse, under your husband’s record, your benefit will automatically convert to widow’s benefits after we receive the report of death. Typically, the funeral director notifies us of an individual’s passing by contacting the local Social Security office.

      If you are receiving retirement benefits on your own record, you can only apply for benefits as a widow if your retirement benefit amount is less than the benefits you would receive as a survivor.

      You cannot report a death or apply for survivors benefits online. If you need to report a death or apply for benefits, call 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778). You can speak to a Social Security representative between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Monday through Friday. You can also visit your local Social Security office.

  10. Fahmi N.

    Thank you for the info. Unfortunately, I dont have a US address, one of the requirements for having an online access, since I live in Israel at the present time.
    I have access to my Medicare records, and I find it so strange that I am deprived of access to my social securith record.
    Someone needs to look into this restrictive stepulation. There are no breaches whatsoever with my Medicare online account.
    How many Americans, like me, who live overseas yet ca not benefit fron online access?
    Please look into this matter and advise..
    Thank you,
    Fahmi A. Natour.

Comments are closed.