General, Online Services

See What You Can Do Online During National Social Security Month

April 4, 2019 • By

Reading Time: 2 Minutes

Last Updated: August 19, 2021

" "In April, we celebrate National Social Security Month by letting you know what you can do online with a personal my Social Security account. Last month we featured how you can replace a lost or stolen Social Security card, get a copy of your 1099 (SSA-1099), and check the status of your Social Security benefit application or claim. This month we share three more advantages.

If you already receive Social Security benefits, you can set up or change direct deposit information online with a personal my Social Security account. In most cases, you are required to receive federal benefits electronically, so when you choose direct deposit, we will electronically deposit your funds directly into a bank account. If you do not have a bank account, you can choose Direct Express® and your funds will be electronically deposited into a prepaid debit card account. Direct Express® has no enrollment fee or minimum balance requirement to open or use the account. We strive to provide online services that best suit when, where, and how you do business with us. You can set up direct deposit, or you can call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778). Visit our website to learn more about all of our online services.

Do you receive Social Security benefits (retirement, survivors, or disability) or are you enrolled in Medicare and getting ready to move?  You can change your address information online when you create a personal my Social Security account.

If you already receive Social Security or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits, you can create a personal my Social Security account and have instant access to your award letter or, as we call it, benefit verification letter.

Please know that securing your identity and personal information is important to us. We protect your information by using strict identity verification and security features. The application process has built-in features to detect fraud and confirm your identity.

Share with friends and family what you can do online with a personal my Social Security account.

Tags: ,

See Comments

About the Author

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications


  1. keshavdas j.

    myself aged 80years and my wife aged 69 years are U S Citizens since 2015 and have been living in Pleasanton ca 94588.we became us citizens through family sponserd through my daughter who has been living here since 1974. we are presently getting Medical and partB medicare benefits.we are now keen in getting SSI to meet our needs . we are from India and have not worked in US. my Wife is having knee problem and has to under go surgery also she underwent breast surgery for cancer. i am having high B P and Diabetic.
    Your valued advise will be highly appreciated.

  2. Samuel T.

    Can one’s work history be accessed through the SSA system? If so how can a request for records be handled?

  3. Donald R.

    Can I fill W4V on-line?

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Donald. Thanks for your question. In order to have taxes withheld from your Social Security benefit, you must start by printing, completing and submitting an IRS Voluntary Withholding Request Form (Form W-4V). On this form, you can choose to have 7, 10, 12, or 22 percent of your monthly benefit withheld. The Form W-4V (to withhold federal taxes from your Social Security benefits) can be returned to your local Social Security office by mail or in person. See our Benefits Planner: Withholding Income Tax From Your Social Security Benefits web page for more information. We hope this helps.

  4. Tabitha G.

    Hello, I also am trying to assist my son in getting a replacement card. Also have birthcerficate, medical (state issed Chip)ins card. He is not currently in school so no CURRENT identification. We were told by the Single employee of the Mckeesport office we need to have medical ins insurers, (Chip) print his DOB on his card. Desperately called Chip to request new card with DOB , Declined, stated never heard of such a request. Several phone calls , trips later he obtained school record an copy of old student Return to SS office , 3rd visit. Woman employee. Declined records we obtained.. My son in tears with desperation asked employee what else can he obtain or do..or provide ? She told him she is there to give information ONLY , NOT TO ASSIST HIM. Then rudely dismissed him. If you would kindly share any other items you know of or if had better luck. It would be SO APPRECIATED.

  5. IscahM

    My full retirement age, 66 is on May 11, 2019. I plan to apply for my benefit online by 11 April. When will i receive my first disbursement?

    • Tanya R.

      If you turn 66 in May 2019, your first check would be payable the second Wednesday in June 2019.

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Iscah. Your payments are established almost immediately after we process your application. Remember that benefits are paid the month after they are due. So, for instance, if you want your benefits to begin with the month of May, you will receive your first benefit payment in June. For future pay dates, you may find the schedule of Social Security benefit payments calendar useful. Thanks!

  6. THOMAS A.

    Recently received a notice from SSA saying, “we need to talk to you about an important Social Security matter.” Cannot seem to find time to contact you during the week. Is it possible to let me know just what this important matter is about? There’s a BNC number on the notice 19T2193J95043-A .

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Thomas. For your security, we do not have access to private information in this venue. We ask that members in our Blog community to continue to work with our offices with specific questions. You can call us at 1-800-772-1213, Monday through Friday, between 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m., for assistance. Generally, you will have a shorter wait if you call later in the day. You can also contact your local Social Security office. We hope this helps.

      • Cherrill H.

        Ann Clifton,

        Can you give me direction on why a claim filed on 11/16/2018 has not been replied to by anyone in the SS system. I’ve called the 800 number and the local office. The agent who took the claim as not returned a single call to me as of this post. I even asked to speak to a supervisor and still no return call, no assistance what so ever.

  7. MARÍA D.

    Necesito la tarjeta dorada, tuve una válida por 8 meses cuando llegué a este país. Ahora con 65 años de nuevo me dieron el Medicaid pero aquella tarjeta está extraviada.

  8. Maureen R.

    How can I get my W-2 or 1099 so as to complete my 2018 tax return?

    Either I never received it in mail or it got misplaced after it arrived. I need the information to file my taxes and am overdue. Thanks, and Sorry for the hassle.

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Maureen. For your security, we do not have access to private information in this venue. You can request a replacement SSA-1099/1042S for Tax Year 2018 by visiting your personal my Social Security account. You can also contact or visit your local Social Security office. They can assist with a replacement 1099. We hope this helps.

  9. Kristan C.

    I need a social security card for my daughter. I just joined the military and i ship out next Monday and don’t have time to come into the office. What’s the quickest way for me to get her card?

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Kristan. Thanks for your question. Generally, when applying for a replacement Social Security card for a child under the age of 18, we consider the parent(s) or step-parent with custody, as the proper applicant. Remember that knowing their numbers is what is important. You will rarely need to show their cards, but if you need information on how to obtain a replacement Social Security card, visit our Frequently Asked Questions. You will need to present documents proving your identity, your children’s identities and citizenship status (if not already established), and evidence of your relationship to, or responsibility for, your children. Also keep in mind the submitted documents must be originals. You can use birth certificates to prove your children’s age or citizenship. But you cannot use it as proof of identity. Once you’ve submitted all the needed documents, it can take up to 10 business days from the date we received the application to mail a replacement card. We hope this helps.

  10. Amy l.

    My husband needs a replacement social security card.. what do I do to get one?

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Amy. First, realize that your husband may not need a replacement card. He will rarely need to show it. Knowing the Social Security number is what is important. To see if he’s eligible to apply for a replacement Social Security card online or to learn more on the process and what documents he will need to get a card, he can visit our Social Security Number and Card page. Keep in mind all submitted documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency and must (unless otherwise indicated) have been issued within the last two years. We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents. Once he’s submitted all the needed documents, it can take up to 10 business days from the date we received the application to mail a replacement card. We hope this helps.

Comments are closed.