Online Services, Retirement, Taxes

Prepare for Your Future with my Social Security and myRA

February 29, 2016 • By

Reading Time: 1 Minute

Last Updated: November 6, 2023

Your future belongs to you. Although retirement may seem far off, life moves quickly, and it’s important to take the right steps now to ensure your financial wellbeing down the road.

To help more Americans prepare for long-term financial security, Social Security and the Department of the Treasury are joining forces to launch Envision a Secure Financial Future. Through this new initiative, you can take advantage of a variety of tools and programs to help prepare your finances for years to come.

my Social Security allows you to keep track of your yearly earnings, review the estimated Social Security and Medicare taxes you’ve paid, and estimate your future benefits. More than 23 million people have already signed up for a my Social Security  account, and you can open yours by visiting

Treasury’s myRA lets you go one step further to boost your retirement funds. myRA is a new retirement savings account that is simple, safe, and affordable.  It costs nothing to open an account, there are no fees, and myRA carries no risk of losing money.

With myRA, you can fund your account via payroll deduction, or from your checking or savings account. If you are due a tax refund, you can also direct some or all of it to your myRA account automatically when you file your taxes with direct deposit. It only takes minutes to sign up. Visit to get started today.

It’s up to you to plan for your retirement. Take control of your future with my Social Security  and myRA.

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!
See Comments

About the Author

Richard Ludlow, Dept. of Treasury, Executive Director, myRA Program

Richard Ludlow, Executive Director, myRA Program


  1. Pardeep N.

    Now it is much necessary to Prepare for Your Future with my Social Security.

    • Bulu


  2. karen f.

    Where do I find my claim number for SS?

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Karen. Thanks for your question. If you receive benefits based on your own work, your claim number is the same as your Social Security number followed by the letters “HA.” If you receive benefits on someone else’s work, your claim number will be the other person’s Social Security number followed by a different letter. For additional questions, please call us at 1-800-772-1213, Monday through Friday, between 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m., for assistance. Generally, you will have a shorter wait if you call later in the day. You can also contact your local Social Security office. We hope this helps.

  3. MOMIL

    provides me a big scanerio to earn huge amount in India. People love to play lottery game which we get daily updates online on this lottery sambad page.

  4. James C.

    Hi I would like to know where I can locate the benefits that I have received todate.

    • Ray F.

      Hi James, please call our toll-free number at 1-800-772-1213, for assistance. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Generally, you will have a shorter wait time if you call later during the day, or later in the week. Thanks!

  5. John E.

    I receive both SSI and Social Security benefits. If I open a myRA account, would it count against my $2,000 resource limit? Do my current benefits count against my $2,000 resource limit? Would it be better to apply for the ABLE account in the Fall of 2017?

    • Ray F.

      Thank you for your question John. myRA account is a savings program, for people looking for a way to start saving for retirement. Keep in mind that the Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program is a needs-based program, and the amount of SSI benefits is based, in part, on the income and resources available to the individual. A resource is money as well as something that you own and can turn into cash. Examples of resources are property, stocks, bonds, and bank accounts. myRA savings might affect your eligibility for purposes of qualifying for state or federal assistance, including benefits paid under the Supplemental Security Income or SSI. Also, your Social Security disability (SSDI) income is considered “Unearned Income”. Generally, the more countable income you have, the less your SSI benefit will be. Please call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 if you need further assistance. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. We hope this helps.

  6. Perry M.

    I am 63 and am considering filing for ssc. If I keep working how much income am I allowed to make without a penalty.

    • Ray F.

      Good question Perry. If you are under full retirement age the earnings limit for 2016 is $15,720. We deduct $1 from your benefit payments for every $2 you earn above the annual limit. To learn more, please visit our Frequently Asked Questions web page or read our publication: “How Work Affects Your Benefits”. When you are ready, you can complete the online application in as little as 15 minutes. Also, you can create a My Social Security account to review your earnings record and get an estimate of your future benefits. If you have specific questions, you can call our toll-free number, 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) for assistance. Representatives are available between 7a.m. and 7p.m., Monday through Friday. Generally, you’ll have a shorter wait time if you call later in the week. Happy planning!

  7. Stacey Y.

    I would like to know if my x retires at 62 and he is collecting, and I am on disability just turned 60 am I allowed anything from his account Social Security?

    • Ray F.

      Hello Stacey, you may be able to receive benefits on your ex-spouse’s record at age 62 if:
      • You were married to your ex-spouse for at least 10 years;
      • You are unmarried;
      • Your ex-spouse is entitled to Social Security retirement or disability benefits and,
      • The benefit you are entitled to receive based on your own work is less than the benefit you would receive based on your ex-spouse’s work.
      For more information, please visit our Retirement Planner: If You Are Divorced. Thanks!

  8. Melvin M.

    The most important preparation for a mission is spiritual. But parents can help their children develop practical skills as well.

  9. Patricia D.

    I would like to apply for a new social security card as I would like to change my name on the card as I have divorced and I would like to change to my name to my child’s father’s name. Can you help me please.. Thank you

    • Ray F.

      Hi Patricia. See what documents you will need to change or correct your name on your Social Security card. When ready, take or mail your application and documents to the Social Security office or card center closest to you. For complete instructions, please go to Social Security Number and Card.

    • Viki

      TYVM you’ve solved all my prmeobls

  10. Alan

    My wife is nearing 62 and has some social security benefits but less than 1/2 my benefits. My question is, can she claim social security benefits at 62 based on her earning record and then switch to spousal benefits at 67 when I claim? Will she get reduced spousal benefits if she does this?

    • Ray F.

      Hi Alan. If a person begins to receive benefits at age 62 or prior to their full retirement age, their benefits are reduced. The reduction factors are permanently applied to all of the benefits the person may qualify for. Your wife may still be eligible to collect reduced benefits on your record when you apply. Remember, if someone is eligible for both, his or her own benefit and for benefits as a spouse, we always pay their own first. If their spousal benefits are higher than their own retirement benefits, he or she will get a combination of benefits equaling the higher spouse benefit. Please visit our Retirement Planner: Benefits For Your Spouse for more information.

Comments are closed.