106 thoughts on “Our Online Benefits Application

  1. If I apply on-line as the representative for the disabled applicant is there a way that I can electronically submit medical records/report as well as my appt of rep form ( 1696) , fee agreement and 1695 form ?

    • Before your application for someone else can be accepted, permission must be obtained from the individual or medical evidence/legal evidence shown that demonstrates they are not capable of managing their own affairs.
      Any forms that can not be submitted electronically can be submitted in person or by mail. You would be so advised.

    • Hello Eugene, you can mail or take the forms and new medical evidence for the pending claim to your local Social Security office.
      For further assistance, please call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Thanks!

  2. Do I have to apply for benefits again? I already receive Social Security and am very grateful! Please let me know not to worry. Thanks! Marika

    • You do nothing, SS automatically converts you to retirement when you reach full retirement age, currently 66 for most folks.

    • Hello Claudia. Social Security disability benefits automatically change to retirement benefits when disability beneficiaries attain their full retirement age. Benefits are not interrupted with this transition and the benefit amount will generally remains the same. Thanks!

  3. Is this information replacing the usual October/yearly social security handbook that is mailed each year? Thank you

  4. Good morning, it’s 8:10 am NZ time now, it’s been ages ago that all my documents was return back to me for “NOTARIZED” all but I don’t have enough budget to do it. I only got “ORIGINAL COPY” of my MEDICARE A /Eligibility Cert. for Housing Loan the Green documents, DD214 of US armyDischarge/Death Cert. of my ex-husband /Birth Cert. of my son registered on US Embassy that’s why he got his US passport.My Marriage cert. for citizenship and registered voting documents. etc. All od my documents need about more than $1,000 for $75.00 per page, Please help. We stay here in NZ for almost 19 years now,only Permanent Res.Thank you for email and have a Great day. God bless us all.

  5. I have been trying to get info on me getting access to my account after 2 months of getting no help I found my user name and pw. Then I went online yesterday with a activation code that you guys sent me and that did not work. Then your sytem said I tried to many times an locked me out. Thanks for all of the NO help guys I really appreciate it.

    • We’re sorry that you had difficulty accessing your account, Barry. For assistance, please call our dedicated my Social Security-Hotline. To reach this hotline, call 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. At the voice prompt, say “helpdesk”. Or contact your local Social Security office. Thanks!

    • Thank you for your question, Raymond. We appreciate you trying to use our online services. At this time you must have a U. S. mailing address to create or to access your online account. The “my Social Security” authentication system requires address verification as one of the essential criteria for issuing an account. People with APO/FPO/DPO addresses can create an account overseas, but our system does not support registration and account creation for users with a foreign address yet.
      For assistance related to your Social Security benefits, please contact the nearest Federal Benefits Unit or U.S. Embassy in your area. Also, our Office of International Operations home page provides more information to assist our customers living abroad.
      We hope this information helps!

  6. This is a blatant lie. SS online applications expose you to SSA fraud and they seem to be doing little to fix the flaws in their system. These flaws allowed a thief to steal $17,000 of my benefits and it took me six months and hours of sitting in the local office to correct their records.

    SSA actually wired money to a phony account and AFTER doing so they decided to notify me. They were so proud of sending my benefits to a thief they didn’t even give me a chance to stop it.

    DO NOT file for benefits online. Go to the painful process of sitting in the office for hours on end or you will regret it.

    • I know what you mean, however Its good that you could afford all the travel, even though you had no benefits, at least they didn’t make a bogus overpayment on your account, and then cut your benefits, till It was played back..

  7. SS needs to fix its website regarding an application for a new account to allow the information submitted whenever a person has a change of address without the SS having their new address in their files. The address submitted in the application should be accepted as their nrw address.

  8. My mom passed away going on one whole year . Can I apply for benefits for my minor sister online or do I come in person. Also how long does the process takes for determination

    • We are sorry for your loss, Nubilla. You cannot report a death or apply for survivors’ benefits online. Some of the deceased’s family members may be able to receive Social Security benefits if the deceased person worked long enough in jobs insured under Social Security to qualify for benefits.
      An unmarried child of the deceased who is younger than age 18 (or up to age 19 if they’re a full-time student in an elementary or secondary school) or age 18 or older with a disability that began before age 22 may be eligible for Survivor’s Benefits.
      Please call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 and speak to one of our agents. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Or contact your local Social Security office directly. Thanks!

  9. Unfortunately “anytime, anywhere” does not work from international locations. How about making that easier more convenient?

  10. This information was very helpful. I’m not yet ready for retirement; however, Its nice to know that when the times comes (in about 7+ years) there will be help for me by using online tools such as this.

    • Thank you Clifford, for taking the time and communicating with us through our blog, we are glad you like it and appreciate your comments and feedback.
      Please continue using our online services and remember that even if you are not eligible for Social Security benefits at this time, you can create a my Social Security account to review your earnings record, and check for future benefits. We will continue our efforts to meet your requirements and expectations in the years to come.

  11. Your Website for filing for anything is either down or the worst Website I have ever seen in my life. Right now I cannot do any of the following:
    1. Retrieve my Disability Application which I have been working on for 3 months;
    2. Pull up the Medicare Application which has a time-line during which I need to complete (Also on the “My SSA” page) It doesn’t appear anywhere on the website;
    3. Pull up the Social Security Application anywhere on the “My SSA” page;
    4. Get any answers out of the people I talk to on your 1800-772-1213 after talking to them twice today. In fact I am on hold right now waiting for someone to answer again (on hold for 60+ minutes for the third time today!);

    If your people don’t know the answers to questions, why isn’t there another tier of people to help,. IE, subject matter experts? You know and I know this service is terrible and really inexcusable. Nobody should have to be on hold for over an hour at a time and then not get their questions answered; or have someone to send me a paper application to by fax or email since your website has many bugs to be fixed.
    Can someone please help me?


    Vincent Canzoneri

    • Hello, Vincent. We are sorry for your frustration. For your security, we do not have access to private information in this venue. If you still need assistance, you can click on “Get Help” in your personal my Social Security account to “Ask a Question” or “Talk to an Expert” for a call back. Plus, a new “Click to Chat” feature, providing individuals in their my Social Security account an opportunity to chat with a Social Security representative, is coming soon. We hope this helps.

  12. Hello Officer : Kindly let me know how would i complete a “re-entry number” entry field while i am claiming retirement social security benefits application. Now as i am stationed in India. My application for Citizenship and Naturalization is been processed by USCIS.

    My SSN : || *** – ** – *** ||

  13. procedure to apply for SLMB,or QI. with email .
    If, application form available mail to me one please.
    Address;169 Simpson Dr NE Kennesaw, Ga 30144
    Thank You.

  14. Thus far my monthly benefits have been wired directly to my bank account. Am in the process of changing the account (and the number), how to process that? I would also like to change my e-mail address. Which office need I to go and what is the address please? Thank you.

  15. I am trying to return to finish my application but it keeps telling me to try back another time. I tried back an hour later and it says the same thing. Suggestions?

  16. I’m trying to file my disability, I have injured my right arm multiple times with surgeries. I have nerve an muscle damage. In the year 2000 I had a surgery on my right shoulder and upper arm. Fixing my rotator cup an my balll joint. Witch they where crushed an my arm was roded with screws. I many months of rehabilitation for it. My wrist also was fractured taking away strength an absence of control in my hand. I’ve been living an managing the pain of it for years but now it worsens, with another surgery of life.
    This year just a few months ago I had very intensifying surgery.9 pints of blood 3 my body regected an 6 my body consumed. I have dead nerves in my right for arm that’s all around it. In need of another surgery my arteries where relocated attached an the serculation is poor now. I have failure to use to right hand an arm the arm I use to work an make my livelihood. I tried returning to work but it is extremely painful, like having acking teeth that need taking out. Every job I apply for or start ask why don’t I file my disability. I have a family to take care I’ve been trying to manage for , for so many years now it’s no fixing it or managing it. I tried working and almost hurt myself and a fellow employee. I’ve worked many jobs warehouse construction production concrete plumbing machinery operating construction and warehouse. Please help me a man in need trying to take care of his family and live through the pain of his injuries . An feeling like a man that is used supporting family. I’m in a debt that is well over a $100,000.00 this makes it hard to hold my head in any direction. My heart is heavy an my soul throbs, I pray daily an my faith in God is extroidenary . Through out the years I’ve been unable to maintain my jobs because my injuries have my body a strength deteriorating an health.

  17. Great news! Now my COLA can pick up the $40 increase in the Advantage Health care plan I have as well as the $20 increase in my prescription plan. Net increase – ZERO!

    • Hello Joseph. Yes, we should be notified immediately when a person dies. However, you cannot report a death or apply for survivors benefits online. In most cases, the funeral home will report the person’s death to us. You can report the death also, by calling our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Or you can contact the local Social Security office. Thanks!

  18. what does this mean? your application is currently under review for processing accuracy. Once the review is complete we will continue processing your benefit application

    • Thanks for your question, Connie. We are sorry to hear of your loss. You can call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) to set up an appointment. Representatives are available Monday through Friday between 7:00a.m. and 7:00p.m. Generally, you’ll have a shorter wait time if you call later in the week. We hope this helps!

  19. My wife is a Social Security and Medicare recepient, She is 77 and retired from teaching job since 2000. She is disabled with MS (diagnosed in1978), wheelchair bound. She has not worked since 2000.. She does not walk, has Home Care and me- (I am 78 ) and a Visiting Physcian Assoc once a month.Her health could be described as “managable”.
    Question-does she qualify for a SSI Disability Claim that can be filed on-line

  20. I am trying to find information on the minimum age to retire and receive SSA benefits. Can a person retire at 59 years of age and receive benefits?

    • Hello Victor, if you encounter a problem with your my Social Security account, you may call our dedicated my Social Security-Hotline. To reach this hotline, call 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. At the voice prompt, say “helpdesk”, or contact your local Social Security office. Thanks!

  21. I am suppose to be receiving $147.20 a month to pay for Medicare B it was shut off for non-payment where did the money go So it needs to be started back up again

    • Thank you for contacting us, Elaine. Unfortunately, and because of security reasons, we do not have access to personal records in this blog and cannot assist you.

      To inquire about your Medicare premiums, you will have to contact your local office or call our toll-free number at 1-800-772-1213. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.

  22. I have yet to receive my new Medicare card. I live in the state of Washington. How do I go about having it mailed to me?

    • Hello Richard. Medicare will automatically mail your new card to the address you have on file with Social Security. As long as your address is up to date, there’s nothing you need to do.
      Mailing millions of Medicare cards takes some time, so you might get your card at a different time than friends or neighbors in your area.
      Visit Medicare.gov/NewCard and sign up to get email alerts from Medicare. Medicare will send you an email when cards start mailing in your state. Thanks!

  23. I’m being garnished for an S.B.A. loan, When I became disabled I wasn’t able to make the payments while waiting to receive my disability. I contacted the loan officer who told me there was no excuse for me not to pay. I became so upset and overwhelmed. I was so sick and really did not have anyone to help me but my 85 year old mother who lacks the ability to take care of those types of matters. Unfortunately I did not have a social worker .But the problem that I have now is after the garnishment take place my net Income isn’t enough for me to get by and my gross income is just barely over the limit to qualify for Medicaid. After the garnishment it’s low enough to qualify, but they only go by the gross. In all fairness it should go by what we receive. Income is what going in our pockets, Because it’s done this way I don’t qualify for medicaid, nor food commodities that would be a big help especially after being hit with all the co-pays at the doctor office.(income is what goes in our pocket. ) After working all my life I’m being punished for getting sick, I was medically discharged from the national guards but didn’t have enough time to qualify for benefits. I thought we are suppose to take care of our own.

  24. I need an account activation code for my social security account Amanda m Bolino Grady social security number 325722382 date of birth 6/6/82

  25. my name is Frank Dragonetti and i apply for my retirement this year I ll be 62…….12/16/1956
    also I d like to apply for my kids benefits Frank and Alessia
    15 and 14
    can I make an appointment to come over to the USA embassy in Naples ?

  26. To replace my card requires a visit to a field office in my area. How do I make an appointment? The phone number does not offer any relevant information and representatives are never available- it basically hangs up on the caller. Tried 5 times and gave up. The website is equally unhelpful in assisting one for an appointment. Since my field office only takes 3 walk-ins an hour- I can’t get in without waiting all day and I can not afford to do that. Assistance please.

    • Hello Debra, sorry to hear your frustrations. However, you may not need a replacement card. You will rarely need to show it. Knowing your Social Security number is what is important. However, if you must get a replacement card, you may be able to apply for it online. If you do not qualify to apply online, then you can apply by mail or by visiting your local office with required documentation. All documents must be either originals or certified copies.

      To learn more on how to get a replacement card and see if you can apply online, please visit our “Social Security Number and Card” web page. We hope this helps!

  27. I completed my online application for Social security benefits. I got to the “Review and Sign” tab. There was no place to sign or submit. What now

    • Hello Karen. Our apologies for the frustration. For your security, we do not have access to private information in this venue. We suggest contacting your local Social Security office for specific questions about your claim. We hope this helps. Thanks

  28. I am trying to sign up for social security and nobody is ever available to take my call. I do not have a computer or a way to get to the office. Can somebody please call me? Thank you

    • Hi Patricia. We’re sorry that you are having difficulties reaching someone by phone. We are currently experiencing higher than normal call volume. Generally, when calling our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213, you will have a shorter wait time if you call later during the day or later in the week. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.

  29. How do you apply for social security benefits when of age when you live outside the U.S.?

    So do I absolutely have to make a costly trip just to interview at a social security office in the United States to receive my rightful benefits that I worked for.?

    What if I have to travel in again if the first interview doesn’t cover everything?

    There is nothing posted online.

  30. When will our 2019 benefits award letter be mailed? I have not received my letter yet and I need it to show my employer

    • Hello Vernon. If you receive a pension from a government job in which you did not pay Social Security taxes, some or all of your Social Security spouse’s, widow’s, or widower’s benefit may be offset due to receipt of that pension. This offset is referred to as the Government Pension Offset, or GPO.

  31. Why is the Message Center not used to communicate between customers and SSA? Why is the Chat with Representative not available to all? Why is the status of a request ( submitted form) not available via My Social Security? Since not all requests can be made online, why does it take so long for forms delivered vis USPS to be scanned into the system? ( Formed delivered on Dec 3. 2018 still not in the system). Why does the SSA handle applications and adjustments for Medicare? Have to contact 2 different agencies to get answers to questions?

  32. I applied for retirement benefits online but there was no confirmation number. I got an email stating my application had been received but I do not see my application on my SSA.gov account. How can I confirm my application is being processed?

  33. I completed a Benefit Application by phone with my local office to switch from Widow benefit to benefit on my own record about 8 weeks ago. Status on line verifies received but website does not allow me to check where the application is in process. Website says, “you do not have access to this service.”

    • Hi, Margaret. We are sorry to hear about your experience. Unfortunately, your issue is a bit more than we can handle in this forum. For your security, we do not have access to private information in this venue. We ask that members in our Blog community to work with their local office for specific questions about their case. We hope this is resolved soon.

  34. My name is carol meloy I applied for ssi benefits I need to leave an alternative phone number area code 570 492 0376 thank you

    • Thank you for contacting us, Carol. Unfortunately, and because of security reasons, we do not have access to personal records in this blog and cannot assist you.

      To add a phone number to your current application, you will have to contact your local office or call our toll-free number at 1-800-772-1213. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.

  35. I would like an appointment at the Social Security Office in Glendale, California office anytime from January 23-31, 2019 to update my personal information. Please email at email address below
    Maria Olmos Castillo
    other Name: Maria D. Olmos

  36. I’ve tried to create a social security account, but it wont ever let me,im trying to find out about the status of my ssi app,

    • Hi, Debra. We’re sorry that you had difficulty accessing your personal my Social Security account. If you are still having trouble accessing your my Social Security account account, please call our dedicated my Social Security account Hotline. To reach this hotline, call 1-800-772-1213, and select the prompt “For help with registering or using the my Social Security account website”. The help desk will be available to callers between 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. Generally, you’ll have a shorter wait time if you call later in the week. You can also contact your local Social Security office to determine the status of your claim. We hope this helps.

  37. My hiusband will be 65 on 1/26/20.When is the earliest
    he can apply for medicare and soicial security on
    Also does he have to have his own email address or
    can he use mine?
    Also when will social security and medicare start?

  38. Hate to admit that I accidentally submitted my social security application and didn’t have a chance to review it and make changes. Is there anything I can do to stop or pause the application?

  39. I have submitted an application for benefits. The instructions told me to send in a photocopy of my last W-2 form . . . but no where can I find an ADDRESS where I should mail the document. Can you help ???

  40. good morning , TO THE STAFF, at the social security HQ
    my name Curtis and I was trying to apply for S/S retirement benefits

    and I send the online information to the wrong office, I send my information
    to SSI , would you please help me correct this problem Curtis Watson # 3485 THANK YOU ,

    • Thank you for contacting us, Curtis. Unfortunately, and because of security reasons, we do not have access to personal records in this blog and cannot assist you.

      To inquire about your benefits, you will have to contact your local office or call our toll-free number at 1-800-772-1213. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.

  41. I have full insurance coverage and was told when I had to apply for Medicare that I had to get Part B. I have since found out I do not need Part B and cannot find any forms online or even speak to anyone at Social Security. How do I find out how to opt out of Part B? When I call I am told that everyone is busy and Good Bye.

    • Hi Wilma, thank you for using our blog to ask your question. If you do not want Medicare Part B because you are actively employed and have coverage from an employer group health plan through that active employment, you can terminate it. Once you lose that health insurance or are no longer actively employed, whichever comes first, you can enroll in Medicare B during a Special Enrollment Period (SEP).

      We always suggest that individuals speak to their personnel office, health benefits advisor, or health plan representative to see what’s best for them, and to prevent any penalties or delayed enrollment in the future.

      If you are sure you want to terminate your Part B, see our Frequently Asked Questions web page for details on the process.

    • Hi Kaul. We pay disability benefits through two programs: the Social Security Disability Insurance program (SSDI) and the Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program. To qualify for SSDI benefits, you must have worked long enough and recently enough in jobs covered by Social Security (usually within the last 10 years). The (SSI) program is a needs based program that gives cash assistance to disabled individuals with limited income and resources. We pay disability benefits to people who are unable to work because of a medical condition that is expected to last one year or more or to end in death. If your wife thinks she may be eligible to receive disability benefits and would like to apply, she can use our online application.

      Applying online for disability benefits offers several advantages:
      • You can start your disability claim immediately. There is no need to wait for an appointment.
      • You can apply from the convenience of your home, or on any computer; and
      • You can avoid trips to a Social Security office, saving you time and money.

      If she is unable to file online, have her call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) between 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Friday to make an appointment. For more information visit our “Frequently Asked Questions” web page on disability. Thanks!

Leave a Reply - (comment policy)

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *