Online Services, Survivors

On Vacation? Social Security Is Still Here For You

June 26, 2017 • By

Reading Time: 2 Minutes

Last Updated: November 3, 2023

family having a mealSummer is here and millions of vacationers are packing their bags to visit a new locale and soak up some sunshine. You might be traveling quite a ways. You’re used to staying connected to important information like your bank accounts and social networks, especially on the go. Social Security is there in the same way — easily accessible when you’re away from your home or office.

When you’re going on vacation and want to be sure your Social Security benefits arrive, use your personal my Social Security account. When you open a personal and secure my Social Security account, you can access it on your terms. We put you in control of your financial future.

A personal my Social Security account is important whether you receive benefits from Social Security or not. You can:

  • Request a replacement Social Security or Medicare card if you meet certain requirements.
  • Check the status of your application or appeal.
  • Get your Social Security Statement.
  • Get a benefit verification letter stating that:
    • You receive retirement, disability, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), or Medicare benefits.
    • You never received Social Security benefits, Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Medicare.
    • You received benefits in the past, but do not currently receive them. (The letter will include the date your benefits stopped and how much you received that year.).
    • You applied for benefits but haven’t received an answer yet.

There’s also more you can do with your personal my Social Security account. We’re always adding new features and resources to make your life easier and give you greater control over your benefits. Placing the “Application Status” feature behind the my Social Security portal provides a secure service delivery channel that allows us to provide detailed status information about your claim without requiring a confirmation number.

With the new Application Status, you can see:

  • In-progress online applications.
  • Detailed information about the current status of the application or appeal.
  • The location where your claim is being processed.
  • Scheduled hearing information for appeals.

Whether you’re vacationing or on a staycation, Social Security’s online services are at your fingertips. With an easy-to-access my Social Security account, you can use our multiple online services while barefoot on the beach. How convenient is that? You don’t even have to put your lemonade down when you visit our website.

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: , , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications


  1. Rihanna

    Incredibly helpful and nitty-gritty data. It really helps the people seeking for different tour operators for destination travels; now they can go for outings, Passover programs and tours without any doubt and insecurities.

  2. Sylvia l.

    I’m 61 be 62 in september.i made a application for my x husband retirement, was married for 15 years
    now divorce, never got married.when I got divorce my lawyer said I could claim his retirement because I left him everything we had included the house.application was denied because im receiving SSDI. Can I appeal again?

    • V.V.

      Hi Sylvia, thanks for using our blog. If you are divorced and currently unmarried, you may be able to receive benefits on your ex-spouse’s record if your marriage lasted 10 years or longer. Your benefit as a divorced spouse can be equal to one-half of your ex’s full retirement amount only if you start receiving those benefits at your full retirement age. If you begin to receive benefits at age 62 or prior to your full retirement age, your benefits are reduced. The reduction factors are permanently applied to all of the benefits you qualify for once you opt to start benefits at age 62 or at any time prior to your full retirement age.

      Remember, if you qualify for your own retirement benefits and for benefits as a divorced spouse, we always pay your own retirement benefits first. If your benefits as a divorced spouse are higher than your own retirement benefits, you will get a combination of benefits equaling the higher divorced spouse benefit.

      See our Retirement Planner: If You’re Divorced for other eligibility requirements and more detailed information.

      You can apply online by using our Social Security Retirement/Medicare Benefit Application to apply for retirement, spouse’s, divorced spouse’s or Medicare benefits.

  3. Kathleen H.

    I am 55 have neen on SSDI/SSI for almost 30 yrs in NYS. Question is; How does one go about heading south in winer and spring and staying North Summer and Fall? This would be within THe USA. Do I need another address at my vacationing state of choice? or can I have my mail forwarder or picked up bu someone and sent to me? Thank you

  4. Radha K.

    I am going to be out of the country for a few months. Do I need to inform SSA?

    • R.F.

      You should always report changes that may affect your Social Security benefits. Unfortunately, and because of security reasons we do not have access to personal records in this blog and cannot answer your question at this time. One of our representatives should be able to provide you with an explanation. Please call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 for assistance. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Generally, you will have a shorter wait time if you call later during the day or later in the week. Thanks.

  5. renata

    Muito bom este artigo bastante espirando em seu blog para escrever alguns artigos.

  6. Sutton T.

    I never knew that social security benefits are available to you when on vacation. We are going to our lake house for the summer and my brother needs his social security benefits. Thanks for the tips on how social security is still here when on vacation.

  7. Alicia s.

    My mom is going out of the country for two months, I will like to know what she has to do? Or notify at the social security office. As she is receiving her pension. Can this change anything? Please clarify. Thanks

    • R.F.

      Hello Alicia. If your mom is receiving retirement benefits, and is only traveling for a couple of months, she may continue to receive her payments while she is outside the United States.
      She is required to notify us of a permanent change of address.
      In the other hand, we cannot pay Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits, if she will be absent from the country for a full calendar month or for 30 consecutive days or more. She must report the details of her trip as soon as possible.
      She can call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Or she can contact her local Social Security office directly. Thanks!

Comments are closed.