Online Services, SSI

New Wage Reporting Application

October 18, 2017 • By

Reading Time: 1 Minute

Last Updated: November 3, 2023

person using calculator On September 23, 2017, we released a new wage reporting application behind the my Social Security portal. Now, people who receive Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits and their representative payees can report wages securely online.

It’s faster and easier than ever before for SSDI beneficiaries and their representative payees to report wages; they can avoid visiting a field office to report their wages in person and they can print or save a receipt of their report.

When you sign up or log in to your my Social Security account, you’ll have access to this application on your desktop, laptop, and mobile device. After you report your wages online, you can save or print a copy of your receipt.

This service will be available for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) recipients in the future. SSI recipients should continue to report wages through SSA Mobile Wage Reporting, SSI Telephone Wage Reporting, or by visiting a local field office.

We’re constantly expanding and improving our services to put you in control of your time by providing them when, where, and how you need them. You can learn more about this new wage reporting service here.

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: , , , , , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications


  1. Roxanne R.

    For some bizarre reason I an unable to find the monthly amount people on SSDI can earn in 2019 with out affecting their benefits. Please send me that amount thank you n


    I need a copy for 2018 award letter for ssi income monthly benefits. not sure what the form number is. I can’t find my form. thanks Bill

  3. mando

    how much can you earn before you get docked on your ssi disability payment

    • Vonda V.

      Hi there. Thank you for your question. Social Security has special rules that make it possible for people with disabilities receiving Social Security Disability (SSDI) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) to work and still receive monthly payments. These are called work incentives.

      For SSDI beneficiaries, there is a Trial Work Period (TWP) and then an Extended Period of Eligibility (EPE). The TWP allows you to test your ability to work for at least 9 months. During this period, you will receive your full disability benefit regardless of how much you earn as long as your work activity is reported and you continue to have a disabling impairment. In 2018, any month in which earnings exceed $850 is considered a month of the 9-month trial work period.

      Once you’ve completed your TWP, you get a 36-month safety net called the EPE. During the EPE, you get benefits for all months your earnings or work activities are below the Substantial Gainful Activity (SGA) level as long as you continue to have a disabling impairment. Social Security will suspend cash benefits for months earnings are over SGA and start benefits again if earnings fall below the SGA level. In 2018, you are earning SGA if your earnings, after any allowable deductions, are more than $1,180 in a month.

      See Social Security’s Red Book for descriptions of the many work incentives.

  4. Velencia D.

    I need help reporting my wages on line for the month of October

  5. Ron E.

    how much income can you make for 2018 from other employment

  6. Tammy M.

    I don’t have an activation code to finish my account information?

  7. Angela S.

    Hi, I mailed back my wage info documents Aug. 26, 2018.

    I scanned and uploaded to my files. HOw can I email you the documents so you get them prior to recieving in the mail??
    I want to make sure you get them ASAP.
    I can email and upload to you please tell me how??
    Thanks, Angela

  8. Doree N.

    On Aug 2, 2018 I reported to Social Security Disability insurance I got a part time job. I found out on line I could make a SS account and report my wages. I gave the EIN and am still waiting to be able to report wages online. I was told 24 hours after I gave the EIN a box would appear under My Profile for me to report
    wages. Today is the 14 and no wage reporting box has appeared Today after 1 hour on hold I was told there was no need to report wages as I am not on SSI, yet your own blog says this service has been available since September 2017 to SSDI recipients. What do I do?

    • Ray F.

      We apologize for any confusion, Doree. Individuals receiving Social Security disability benefits (SSDI) may use their my Social Security account to report wages online.
      If you are still having trouble accessing your account, please call our dedicated my Social Security-Hotline. To reach this hotline, call 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. At the voice prompt, say “helpdesk”. Sometimes you may have to contact your local Social Security office. Thanks!

  9. JD D.


    Very well hidden so NOBODY CAN FIND IT!

    • Ray F.

      You can report wages via the My Profile Tab through my Social Security. From my Social Security account page, click on the “If you receive benefits or have Medicare, you can…” tab, to find the “Report your wages if you work and receive Disability Insurance (DI) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits”.
      We hope this helps!

    • Mara P.

      That’s because it doesn’t exist unless you sit on hold or in a field office all day so THEY can add an employer for which you want to report income. Apparently that is beyond our capabilities?

  10. johnn m.

    been collecting s/s since 62yrs.old benn worhing at home depot since 2005.13 yrs now. been paying fica taxea at about 900.00$ a year, am I entilled to a new evaluation. on benefits I receive.if not why am I still all this into s/s. thanks for your reply

    • Ray F.

      Hello John. Each year, we review the records for all working Social Security recipients to see if additional earnings may increase their monthly benefits.
      When you apply for retirement benefits, we base your benefit payment on your highest 35 years of earnings and your age when you start receiving benefits.
      If your earnings for the prior year are higher than any of the years that were used to compute your retirement benefit, we will recalculate your benefit amount. If an increase is due, a new monthly benefit amount is established on your record automatically.
      You may also contact us and request a review of your records. You can also call our toll-free number at 1-800-772-1213. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. You will generally have a shorter wait time if you call later during the day or later in the week. We hope this information helps!

Comments are closed.